Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q.E.D)
    Faith is not just about god/other religious things, one can have faith in say friendship, or in just about anything else. It just happens to be used most frequently in conjunction with religion.
    Exactly. I think 'Is religion possible without faith?' is more of a sensible question really...

Faith is more important to religion than religion is to faith.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't faith mean belief in something without it being proven, or without good reason to believe it? It may not be the dictionary definition, but that is how I interpret the word. As I see it, the less 'faith' there is involved in a religion or belief system, the closer it is to scientific fact, reason and logic. Therefore I think most religions require a very large amount of faith, though maybe buddhism is an exception. Being an atheist requires very little faith. Although atheism leaves unanswered questions, atheists don't feel the need to believe unproven stories to fill the gap, but wait for scientific theories and discoveries to explain the universe.

Does anyone agree with me? I'm sorry if I've offended and religious people

ReputationRep:
    I feel I should correct myself, my interpretation of the word 'Faith' actually IS pretty close to the dictionary definition after all. It's funny, you don't often hear people say I've got "2: Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Jimmy)
    Doesn't faith mean belief in something without it being proven, or without good reason to believe it? It may not be the dictionary definition, but that is how I interpret the word. As I see it, the less 'faith' there is involved in a religion or belief system, the closer it is to scientific fact, reason and logic. Therefore I think most religions require a very large amount of faith, though maybe buddhism is an exception. Being an atheist requires very little faith. Although atheism leaves unanswered questions, atheists don't feel the need to believe unproven stories to fill the gap, but wait for scientific theories and discoveries to explain the universe.

Does anyone agree with me? I'm sorry if I've offended and religious people
    But although atheism doesnt believe in such relgious concepts, it doesnt mean they do not have faith in other area of there life. Faith is to easily related to religion and I think ideas that we need to have faith in people for example are just as important. I mean we dont always know how people will react to situations and actions they will do, but we have faith in them to do the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    you can believe in God but have no religion.

ReputationRep:
    OK, I see your point hanzing, but I think that your talking about is a separate meaning of the word faith, more closeley related to "trust" than the religious meaning. If you know someone well and you think they will do the right thing, this is because you have seen evidence of them doing "the right thing" in the past, so this form of faith is infact based on logic and probability.

ReputationRep:
    True, But I think the way many people say they have faith in god for example for him to look after humankind etc, can be that of the same kind of faith I have that humankind will not end up distigrating into a state of war and murder. I Have faith that there are people out there who wont, But yet I have no experience of these people or know how they have acted befpre.. Instead I have faith in a beleived better nature of people that wil see its way to the surface.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's dangerous to think mankind's welfare is anyones responsibility other than mankind. Did you mean disintegrating? We are fortunate to be in parts of the world that have stable democracies, but elsewhere there is a good deal of murder and war. You say you believe in the nature of people, which means how people generally act. If aliens came to Earth and you believed you knew how they would act, that would be the blind faith I think this board refers to. I would be less proud to say I believed in things for no particular reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Jimmy)
    I think it's dangerous to think mankind's welfare is anyones responsibility other than mankind. Did you mean disintegrating? We are fortunate to be in parts of the world that have stable democracies, but elsewhere there is a good deal of murder and war. You say you believe in the nature of people, which means how people generally act. If aliens came to Earth and you believed you knew how they would act, that would be the blind faith I think this board refers to. I would be less proud to say I believed in things for no particular reason
    Yes, disintegrating. I said I have faith that people will use there beter nature because this is all I will know.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.