22" bush tv wont turn on

Watch
This discussion is closed.
jhuntley93
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i got a new tv in january from argos and not had a problem with it until now. The problem is that it just stays on standby and wont turn on. the light does not flash like normal when you turn it on. Also the tv is fine as i hear the dvd spinning away. Finally i dont have the reciept any more but it is still under its year warrenty so will i be ok to take it back and exchange it? i have also tried turning it on from the tv but with no avail.
AidanLunn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Either capacitors have gone bad or the backlight is dead. Or it could be the inverter.

A TV that cheap from Argos really will not last long at all. The Bush name, even though that company has not existed for 25 years, has always been associated with crap electronics.

If reliability is the winning factor for you, go for either Sony or Panasonic TVs and no-one else, but even then, these companies are starting to outsource cheap Chinese crap such as the Bush that has just failed.
mfaxford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jhuntley93)
i got a new tv in january from argos and not had a problem with it until now. The problem is that it just stays on standby and wont turn on. the light does not flash like normal when you turn it on. Also the tv is fine as i hear the dvd spinning away. Finally i dont have the reciept any more but it is still under its year warrenty so will i be ok to take it back and exchange it? i have also tried turning it on from the tv but with no avail.
Try turning it right off (at the mains) for a while and then see if it starts working. If not you should be able to get it replaced although with no reciept it's harder to show that you bought it from them. Did they take any details from you at the time (name /address etc.) If you bought it on a credit card you might be able to use the statement to show your bought it from them.

(Original post by AidanLunn)
...The Bush name, even though that company has not existed for 25 years, has always been associated with crap electronics.
Wow, I must be really lucky. I've got a Bush Clock Radio that's still going strong after a very long time (I think it must be around 20 years old!)

Realistically whatever the quality of the brand it ought to last to the end of the Warranty. Any brand that can't do that is going to go bust pretty quickly
AidanLunn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mfaxford)
Wow, I must be really lucky. I've got a Bush Clock Radio that's still going strong after a very long time (I think it must be around 20 years old!)

Realistically whatever the quality of the brand it ought to last to the end of the Warranty. Any brand that can't do that is going to go bust pretty quickly
Things like clock radios really are so basic compared to TVs - either analogue or digital, that they don't go wrong as often quite simply because there is less to go wrong. A clock radio contains some crystal-referenced timing circuits and some circuits for demodulating and decoding FM and AM radio.

A TV of the same age would have both of these, plus the huge added complexity of NICAM stereo and re-generating a picture. Far more complex than a radio.

That's why 50+ year old radios can be adapted if parts run out with relative ease. A TV of the same age can't. And the same will be true of early 1990s TVs compared to radios in 30 years time.

The brand won't go bust - it'll simply disappear, and the manufacturer who never uses their real name on any of their products will simply buy up another brand name to continue selling their can't-make-it-to-the-end-of-the-warranty crap.
jhuntley93
Rep:
?
(Original post by mfaxford)
Try turning it right off (at the mains) for a while and then see if it starts working. If not you should be able to get it replaced although with no reciept it's harder to show that you bought it from them. Did they take any details from you at the time (name /address etc.) If you bought it on a credit card you might be able to use the statement to show your bought it from them.

took the plug out left it and it is working again
edd360
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
try shaving it, shaved bush's always turn me on.
jhuntley93
Rep:
?
(Original post by edd360)
try shaving it, shaved bush's always turn me on.
is that the best you've got?!!! :eek:
edd360
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jhuntley93)
is that the best you've got?!!! :eek:
To be fair, mine wasn't quite as big as 22 inches. You'd think that would be plenty big enough to work, perhaps it's too big?
jhuntley93
Rep:
?
should we be talking about this stuff on a public forum :hah:
davidcy147
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Did you get the Bush wet?

Seriously, exposing electronics to humidity is not a good thing.
jw1992
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
I work in Argos and will offer a serious reply...
As long as you have the receipt, return the TV to the store- basically when it breaks outside of 30 days but within a year they will send it off for repair, maximum time it takes will be 16 working days to come back to you.

BUT in my experience if you walk and basically ask for exactly another, or even ask to get a 'better' TV and pay the difference then they can use their discretion and are very likely to do that there and then.
Raso
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, did you ever get your tv to switch on in the end? I have exactly the same problem with a 22" bought from Argos!! It happened about three years ago and i left it on for circa 3 days and, as if by magic, it decided to turn itself on again, and was working fine until now when I unplugged it one night and it hasn't switched itself on again since plugging back in three days ago!!
Bavrc
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a bush 24 combo led24127dvdcntd TV is all working OK except the did sound when a disc is played the volume works OK in TV mode have tried a factory reset it menu 4725 diagnostic OK reset OK first time installation but no luck any ideas???
Gudson98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My TV, same kind, has switched itself off and won't turn on again
I've tried unplugging it and leaving it, I've tried doing the trick where you hold off for thirty seconds while unplugged then 30 seconds while plugged in
All to no avail any ideas?
My dad managed to fix it last time worthy he dial on the side, any ideas?
Carbur
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wonder if the new 4 g phone masts can have an effect.? They are using the same frequency as Freeview TV. I saw on you tube that a reset button on the back of a Bush tv can solve some problems.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (309)
55.78%
I don't have everything I need (245)
44.22%

Watched Threads