Turn on thread page Beta

Was not chosen to be school prefect watch

ReputationRep:
    I have always done well academically. I was always one of the top pupils in school and had done well in GCSEs and when in lower 6th it came time to vote for prefects. I wasn't chosen to be one. I do not understand why.

I was always polite and punctual. I was never involved with any fights in school and when I was not chosen to be prefect the some teachers were surprised as well as a few other pupils as I seem to be a good example to others.

In my school, the election process is based on pupil and teacher votes only (no speech or interview involved). What makes me frustrated is that some people who were chosen to be prefects had no social skills but did well academically (teachers votes i guess) and the other people who were prefects... well you can call them wasters (they never turned up to school and preformed poorly in exams) and probably got votes due to popularity.

What I am trying to say is, is this all a bit unfair? Is it because I am chinese? or what is it? In previous years there have been some chinese people as prefects (mostly because they were smart) but in my year no other chinese person was a prefect (and there are quite a few other chinese people in my year). I don't seem to understand why the voting system is rigged (is that the right word in this context?)

ReputationRep:
    suck it up princess no-one is perfect ( or should i say prefect in this case)

ReputationRep:
    I think you just need to get over it, it's not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophialee)
    I have always done well academically. I was always one of the top pupils in school and had done well in GCSEs and when in lower 6th it came time to vote for prefects. I wasn't chosen to be one. I do not understand why.

I was always polite and punctual. I was never involved with any fights in school and when I was not chosen to be prefect the some teachers were surprised as well as a few other pupils as I seem to be a good example to others.

In my school, the election process is based on pupil and teacher votes only (no speech or interview involved). What makes me frustrated is that some people who were chosen to be prefects had no social skills but did well academically (teachers votes i guess) and the other people who were prefects... well you can call them wasters (they never turned up to school and preformed poorly in exams) and probably got votes due to popularity.

What I am trying to say is, is this all a bit unfair? Is it because I am chinese? or what is it? In previous years there have been some chinese people as prefects (mostly because they were smart) but in my year no other chinese person was a prefect (and there are quite a few other chinese people in my year). I don't seem to understand why the voting system is rigged (is that the right word in this context?)
    If the right positions went to the right people the world would be a much better place but unfortunately that is not often the case.

Just take it on the chin.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know the system was rigged? You have no proof of that...

ReputationRep:
    Get over it. Being school prefect won't get you a job.

"Is it because I'm Chinese?" - stop looking for excuses and deal with it. You may even be glad you didn't get it in the end when you realise how pointless the tasks they have to do.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends who was actually chosen. Crying xenophobia on it's own whenever you don't win something doesn't work. Maybe the person who won it was better than you?

ReputationRep:

explain how it is rigged?

if you had have won because of the above it would have been rigged but no the people who won where i the majority of the vote. its not like they banded together and combined their votes to beat the system...

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of a school prefect is that they're respected by their peers enough to hold a position of power, with the ability to enforce it. This is why a voting system is used. If these 'wasters' as you put it were voted in, and you were not, surely the student body is more likely to listen to them than you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidoo)
    If the right positions went to the right people the world would be a much better place but unfortunately that is not often the case.

Just take it on the chin.
    Without being rude, by virtue of complaining about it on here, she probably isn't the "perfect prefect".
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'll tell you what I told myself when I wasn't chosen as part of the head boy team:

"Great, it leaves me with more time to get better grades than the others. Unis won't care about me if I have BBBB + Headboyship; they'll be far more interested if I have AAAA and an interest in the subject."

If, ask you said, you're a top pupil, then you should be aiming for top universities. They *don't care* about prefectship! They *do* care about grades! Seriously, prefects and head boy people spend hours wasting time at events, doing boring duties etc. whilst the others are doing there work.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait, I guess if you're from China you're only used to one view, lol. JK.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry- you may still be chosen to be Quidditch Captain.

(Please tell me I'm not the only one sad enough to be reminded of HP reading this?)

ReputationRep:
    I was a prefect, it was rubbish and I was useless. It really doesn't matter.

Chin up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid there's nothing you can do now. What does it matter?
    It won't stop you from getting good GCSE's, A-levels or a degree. You're over-reacting!
    I know it sounds harsh but get over it. The world isn't over! There are plenty of opportunities later in life!

ReputationRep:
    is it because i am chinese?
    whahahahaha! Omfg! Lolololol. This must be a bait,...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thompsonic7)
    Don't worry- you may still be chosen to be Quidditch Captain.

(Please tell me I'm not the only one sad enough to be reminded of HP reading this?)
    I was too I was going to say 'don't worry, it's because someone thinks you've got enough to be worrying about, like finding horcruxes', but you got there first

ReputationRep:
    why would you want to be a prefect anyway? its not like it even stands out on your ucas application when schools go and make 40% of the year group prefects...

you've dodged a bullet here really, IMO

ReputationRep:
    boo hoo.

ReputationRep:
    ...And life goes on.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.