The Student Room Group

AQA Music A2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Harrimusic
panicking sooooo much! I'm afraid i'm going to do badly and as i'm going to music college people will all think that i'm awful and dont deserve to be there

but although i'm panicking i dont seem to be spending much time on the revision, mostly because i dont know how.... especially chamber music

Which music college you going to? :biggrin:
Don't worry - my friend goes and apparently there are some people she knows that can barely read music and just got in from their performances :s-smilie: So you probably won't be the worst =P

I'll have some chamber music resources up tomorrow. I admit I'm finding it harder than the Mahler but I'll try my best to help.
Original post by InketyDink
Which music college you going to? :biggrin:
Don't worry - my friend goes and apparently there are some people she knows that can barely read music and just got in from their performances :s-smilie: So you probably won't be the worst =P

I'll have some chamber music resources up tomorrow. I admit I'm finding it harder than the Mahler but I'll try my best to help.

Rncm :biggrin:
phewphhh! I'd still quite like to do well to prove a point hahaha :rolleyes:

oooh thanks. I've done some mind maps on mendelssohn quartet in a minor, schumman piano quintet, borodin string quartet no. 2 and debussys sonatafor flute viola and harp, and put them all onto flash cards, but its soooo difficult.

I find mahler much easier, i sit and listen to it with the score :smile:
Reply 42
Rncm :biggrin:
phewphhh! I'd still quite like to do well to prove a point hahaha :rolleyes:

oooh thanks. I've done some mind maps on mendelssohn quartet in a minor, schumman piano quintet, borodin string quartet no. 2 and debussys sonatafor flute viola and harp, and put them all onto flash cards, but its soooo difficult.

I find mahler much easier, i sit and listen to it with the score :smile:

Awesome, which instrument or voice are you? I've heard that the piano department is excellent but I don't know much about the other departments.

I'm afraid the only one that I've done out of those is the Schumann piano quintet, you're doing opus 44 right?

http://pastebin.com/uEJjwvyk

Here are my notes from the first movement. Sorry that they're not quite as extensive as my Mahler mvt 1 notes!

Do you not have the scores for any of those that you could sit and listen with? D: My old teacher was obsessed with photocopying free copies she found online so I ended up with multiple copies of each and my notes scattered throughout them, took me a while to compile them.

Asides from notes I'm doing a couple of videos since I like learning things as a script as well as hearing things read out loud so I'll probably be expanding the notes when I do that and I can paste the script.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by InketyDink
Awesome, which instrument or voice are you? I've heard that the piano department is excellent but I don't know much about the other departments.

I'm afraid the only one that I've done out of those is the Schumann piano quintet, you're doing opus 44 right?

http://pastebin.com/uEJjwvyk

Here are my notes from the first movement. Sorry that they're not quite as extensive as my Mahler mvt 1 notes!

Do you not have the scores for any of those that you could sit and listen with? D: My old teacher was obsessed with photocopying free copies she found online so I ended up with multiple copies of each and my notes scattered throughout them, took me a while to compile them.

Asides from notes I'm doing a couple of videos since I like learning things as a script as well as hearing things read out loud so I'll probably be expanding the notes when I do that and I can paste the script.

Oboe :biggrin:
I just tried to open them, but my school network has blocked them :mad: I'll open them on my phone later on :smile: Yeah op. 44. I surprisingly like it :rolleyes:

Yeah my teacher gave me sooo many scores, but its kinda difficult doing that when I know we wont have the score in the exam, so Im just trying to learn about the works and composers and stuff. I'm gonna make some notes on the Brahms sextet this morning, which will bring me up to 5 works and then make a huge timeline of the romantic period :smile:
(I'm a visual person so I like that kind of stuff hahaha)
Reply 44
Eek, it's so close now!
Reply 45
This A level has to be one of the hardest,I think getting a C overall is commendable given how subjective the composition section is. I hope the listening tommorow is nice and straightforward and there's a nice general mahler and jazz question
anyone have any last minute cramming tips?!
Reply 47
Original post by TheShore
I think getting a C overall is commendable given how subjective the composition section is.

A man after my own heart! Glad I'm not the only one proud of a C (even if the purpose of sitting it again for me is to get higher than that OTL)

anyone have any last minute cramming tips?!

Depends what you want to cram and how you learn! I do well with auditory learning, so for tonight I've made vocal recordings of some of my notes so just before bed I'll be listening to those a couple of times each. For my aural I've got an aural workbook that I'll be finishing off... I'm on to the harder questions so hopefully tomorrow it will seem easier? If you don't have any specific revision material for aural then maybe just sit and listen to radio 3 or classic fm (personal choice would be radio 3 >_>) and try and identify features and cadences and the such.
Reply 48
I've been listening to the mahler and following the score and stuff today...and tips for jazz revision there's a lot to remember and it's hard to remember specific points
Reply 49
Anyone got any idea which Vaughan Williams movement will come up?
Reply 50
No idea about VW I'm afraid, I've been doing Mahler.

Anyone got any specific questions they're hoping for?

My ideal questions for chamber would be a general question looking at how use of instrumentation has developed or something along those lines and for Mahler a general question asking about childhood themes (alas I think that's very unlikely to come up! But something that I could talk about that with would be good).

For specific questions, I'm not sure what I'd want for the chamber music but for Mahler I'd like first movement, though I reckon it will be third.
Reply 51
Original post by Ravondo666

I reckon the second movement; they've asked the first and third, and the fourth was in a specimen paper. But who knows really! Better learn them all, knew I shouldn't leave revision to the last minute!
Reply 52
Original post by Miller693
I reckon the second movement; they've asked the first and third, and the fourth was in a specimen paper. But who knows really! Better learn them all, knew I shouldn't leave revision to the last minute!

pretty sure romanza was last year so im not gonna bother with that one! Mainly gonna learn the first 2!
Reply 53

I'm assuming it will be the second movement as it's the last year that this VW symphony is used and it's the only one they haven't asked a question on!
Reply 54
my teacher reckons the second is most likely, however the examiners could throw a curve-ball and bring out romanze again or the first or last movement! always best to be prepared :')
does anyone have any ideas about what might come up jazz-wise?
Reply 55
Original post by doo
my teacher reckons the second is most likely, however the examiners could throw a curve-ball and bring out romanze again or the first or last movement! always best to be prepared :')
does anyone have any ideas about what might come up jazz-wise?

Swing or Bebop I reckon. But sometimes they ask questions that are like 'talk about 2 artists contributions to the development of jazz' I like those, because you can say how Louis armstrong was a new orleans pioneer, and how dizzie ghillespie was a bebop pioneer and write about both.
Reply 56
oh blimey, i hope something like the two artists DOESN'T come up! we were taught jazz really badly, so i'm really unconfident for it :frown: i know how each type develop, and if swing or bebop came up i'd be fine :smile: hope they're nice and vague haha!
Reply 57
Original post by doo
oh blimey, i hope something like the two artists DOESN'T come up! we were taught jazz really badly, so i'm really unconfident for it :frown: i know how each type develop, and if swing or bebop came up i'd be fine :smile: hope they're nice and vague haha!

in my opinion jazz is piss easy lol. I am a really bad student ill admit, i never do essays and stuff and leave everything to the last minute. But i did a new orleans jazz essay with no revision and got a B grade.. I just think its really simple!
Reply 58
in my opinion jazz is piss easy lol. I am a really bad student ill admit, i never do essays and stuff and leave everything to the last minute. But i did a new orleans jazz essay with no revision and got a B grade.. I just think its really simple!

then you, sir, are lucky! :') we were hardly ever given essays to do..it was kind of tagged onto the end of our lessons and gone over really vaguely. i've no idea what grades my essays are (that we eventually started in class about 3 weeks ago!) cos our teacher tells us what's good/bad in them, and leaves it there! so frustrating. getting there with it tho :smile: good luck!
Reply 59
Original post by doo
then you, sir, are lucky! :') we were hardly ever given essays to do..it was kind of tagged onto the end of our lessons and gone over really vaguely. i've no idea what grades my essays are (that we eventually started in class about 3 weeks ago!) cos our teacher tells us what's good/bad in them, and leaves it there! so frustrating. getting there with it tho :smile: good luck!

thanks! you too :smile: and everyone else doing music aswell! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending