Meiosis Watch

vetboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Can anyone give me general differences between mitosis and meosis? I understand meiosis gives us the genetic variation...
alispam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
this was a q in my jan modules!!! but can i remember the answer? well meiosis has two divisons compared to one in mitosis, during the first meiotic division homologous chromosomes associate whilst in mitosis homologous chromosomes don't. meisosis produces 4 daughter cells from one parent cell compared to 2 daughter cells from one parent cell in mitosis. that's all i can think of at the mo...
The Orientalist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Meiosis can give rise to a phenomena called "crossing-over", but I'm not sure If you're supposed to know that lol.
alispam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh yes chiasmata...its because homologous chromosomes stay together, meaning that bivalents (pairs of chromosomes) can get very close during prophase, then chiasmata occurs as the chromosomes cross over, the part where cross over has occurred can break off and reattach to the other chromosome in the pair. hence genetic material is swapped from one chromosone to another - another cause of genetic variation in meisosis
The Orientalist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by alispam)
oh yes chiasmata...its because homologous chromosomes stay together, meaning that bivalents (pairs of chromosomes) can get very close during prophase, then chiasmata occurs as the chromosomes cross over, the part where cross over has occurred can break off and reattach to the other chromosome in the pair. hence genetic material is swapped from one chromosone to another - another cause of genetic variation in meisosis
Lol...exactly!
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Keeping it basic and simple - Mitosis is somatic cell replication - i.e. one parent cell divides to give two daughters with the same DNA complement.

Meiosis is reduction division [easy way to remember is that meiosis means 'decrease']. You get two consecutive divisions - in the first homologous chromosomes paired at the equator [chiasmata, crossingover, blah, blah ] before separating into 2 daughter nuclei. Then the daughter cells divide by mitosis to produce four haploid nuclei.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Here we go: pictures always speak a thousand words...

alispam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it depends on which syllabus you are doing as to the details you need...what are you doing?
vetboy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
aqa biology A
alispam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OMG - your the first person i've found on TSR doing the same syllabus as me - every1 else seems to do AQA B! In that case you don't need to know anything that fluffy said about somatic replication (soz fluffy!) stick to stuff about chiasmata and homologous chromosomes associating. Also independant assortment during metaphase 1 of meiosis causes variation - when the chromosomes line up on the equator of the cell which of the chromosome of the pair goes on the 'top' and which goes on the 'bottom' is random.
~*Sar*~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by alispam)
OMG - your the first person i've found on TSR doing the same syllabus as me - every1 else seems to do AQA B! In that case you don't need to know anything that fluffy said about somatic replication (soz fluffy!) stick to stuff about chiasmata and homologous chromosomes associating. Also independant assortment during metaphase 1 of meiosis causes variation - when the chromosomes line up on the equator of the cell which of the chromosome of the pair goes on the 'top' and which goes on the 'bottom' is random.
I'm doin aqa A too
alispam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
together we shall take over the world.....:ts:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (28)
25.93%
No - I got the required grades (66)
61.11%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.96%

Watched Threads