Turn on thread page Beta

Confused? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me wot the difference is between civil rights and human rights?

My lecturer told us that we dont have any civil rights, and i understand this in respect to we dnt have a written constitution, but dont we have civil rights through the human rights act ect?

I thought it was more or less the same thing, anyone know?

Snazzy

ReputationRep:
    the only thing giving us rights it the Human Rights act 1996 and the European Communities Act 1972 taking the Europena convention of human Rights into UK law. also treaties signed give us humsn rights,

however i think what he means is you cannot bring an action against another individual (eg a civil action) for breaching your human rights. eg i cant take my mom to court for breaching my right to aloow me to marry someone or my neighbour to court for telling me to shut up and therefore breaching my right to freedom of expression

the european convention etc rights are aloow actions against the state only for breaching your rights

ReputationRep:
    Thanks 4 ur reply, but isnt Human rights the same thing as civil rights?

ReputationRep:
    i think he means like civil as in one individual against another,
    but human rights as in rights for all humans only excersiasable against the state/arm of state

ReputationRep:
    oh i think i know wot u mean! thanks

ReputationRep:
    so we dnt have civil rights? someone jus told me we do? oh no im confused :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused too! I wanna know if I can take my school to the European Court of Human Rights for forcing silence on me during my GCSEs, therefore blocking my right to free speech.

And I'm not joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    the only thing giving us rights it the Human Rights act 1996 and the European Communities Act 1972 taking the Europena convention of human Rights into UK law. also treaties signed give us humsn rights,

however i think what he means is you cannot bring an action against another individual (eg a civil action) for breaching your human rights. eg i cant take my mom to court for breaching my right to aloow me to marry someone or my neighbour to court for telling me to shut up and therefore breaching my right to freedom of expression

the european convention etc rights are aloow actions against the state only for breaching your rights
    Actually thats not strictly true, because the HRA defines Public Authority as including the courts, there is the potential for horizonatal enforcement of convention rights, it just hasn't been fully explored yet. See any one of several cases involving the press and celebrities right to privact and home life. Its not clear where the law stands on this but you can't rule out horizontal enforcement entirely.

Furthermore that not what Civil rights means. And your lecturer is wrong or you misunderstood. Civil rights are rights you DO have whereas human rights are rights that academics/commentators think you SHOULD have (ie should be made civil rights). In the UK, all ECHR convention rights integrated into domestic law by the HRA 1998 can now be considered civil rights, furthermore we have many common law civil rights such as the right to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone1)
    I'm confused too! I wanna know if I can take my school to the European Court of Human Rights for forcing silence on me during my GCSEs, therefore blocking my right to free speech.

And I'm not joking.

There is no prevention of freedom of speech. You can talk as much as you like, if you choose to leave school and fail your exams.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.