The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2013

Scroll to see replies

For UCL, how many students do they take on to the economics course and roughly how many apply?
Original post by Millerman
For UCL, how many students do they take on to the economics course and roughly how many apply?

I don't know if a figure exists for UCL's economics course, but according to the Wiki the ratio is 8.7
Original post by Millerman

They take 237 students according to their prospectus. Applications per place is 10.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by B-Stacks
They take 237 students according to their prospectus. Applications per place is 10.

oh, so its very hard to get in then
Original post by annabelle3r
Hi I am thinking about doing economics and economic history in LSE which requires AAB. And I have got A* on maths (completed in one year), B on history (will resit one module to achieve A), and B on physics(dropped).
My predicted grades are AA on further maths and history- A*AA in total.

I want to apply for UCL for economics as well.
I heard that LSE would sometimes just reject people with ridiculous reasons (for example, they tend to reject potential Oxbridge students or something...). So what is my chance to get in LSE with my grades and predictions??

Plus, I am an international student and will it be an advantage as I am paying international fees...? Thanks!!

for LSE , the part ive bolded is a huge advantage.
Reply 5745
Original post by Fas

Every student pays the same amount, the difference is the government subsidises home students. LSE still receives the same amount

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amg_22
Every student pays the same amount, the difference is the government subsidises home students. LSE still receives the same amount

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh i see , in which case ignore my previous post :tongue:
Original post by Fas
ahh i see , in which case ignore my previous post :tongue:

But Govt pays only to certain number of EU students. So if LSE has capacity for higher places than obviously they will may offers to International students. Historically EU offers are more competitive than International ones.:wink:
Reply 5748
Original post by Fas

Well thats just b/s and seems to be the excuse of any home student who cant get in on their own merit.

LSE's Econ cohort on average is consistently above UCL & Warwick and below Camb, not because they look for int'l students but cos they look for good students.

If you're good you're good, no matter where you're from.
Original post by User3
Well thats just b/s and seems to be the excuse of any home student who cant get in on their own merit.

LSE's Econ cohort on average is consistently above UCL & Warwick and below Camb, not because they look for int'l students but cos they look for good students.

If you're good you're good, no matter where you're from.

whatever you say mate
Hi please answer this for my EPQ on Recessions https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5JZ3395
Reply 5751
What do you all think about doing economics degree without maths A level? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by muzika
What do you all think about doing economics degree without maths A level? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Difficult to get onto a course without it as normally it's a pre-requisite, but there are courses out there and it is certainly doable if you put the time and effort into it. However you might find it more difficult :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply