LSE
UCL
Warwick
Nottingham

But not sure if I am still able to get in though,
In January I got A* for A2 Math.
A Econmics U1
But failed Physics U1 (B)

I will be finish A2 Fm this year as well so will be applying with 2 grades, and retake Physics in June hopefully get it right this time, since I misread like all the questions at the first go, I e-mailed them and they replied saying no problem retaking. And I will be doing Politics AS in June as well, so end up with A*(Done)A*(Hopefully) AAB (Hopefully)

mate replace notts with bath/bristol. I got rejected from notts but got LSE and UCL. Notts isnt a safe choice
Reply 41
Anyone for Maths and Economics?
Reply 42
Original post by funkydee
I was in the 2012 cycle so yeah i can give some sound advice.

they look at everything. UMS, AS grades, A2 predictions, PS, gcse's and subject combination. There's no 15% gcse's 20% AS kind of stuff. It goes without saying the better the gcse's the better. when they have applicants with 4A's at AS predicted several A* its an easy way to distinguish.

i got 3 A*'s and 7 A's from a state school and am thinking of applying to Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and one other. I now go to a public school do you think this may decrease my chances?
Hello :colone:

Most likely will apply to Oxford, LSE, UCL (the one with the year abroad, L101? not sure what it's called), Bath and Edinburgh. May swap LSE for something else.
Reply 44
Original post by hazhashtag
i got 3 A*'s and 7 A's from a state school and am thinking of applying to Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and one other. I now go to a public school do you think this may decrease my chances?

doubt the public school thing is that big a deal. And yeah, stand a good chance at all of them if you get 4As at AS or even 3.
Reply 45
Original post by rofflewaffle

Most likely will apply to Oxford, LSE, UCL (the one with the year abroad, L101? not sure what it's called), Bath and Edinburgh. May swap LSE for something else.

Had a quick stalk but you'll easily get lse ucl with 11A* at gcse's. and why not warwick? i'd replace bath or edinburgh with warwick.

I got 7A* and i'm off to LSE come oct.

EDIT: Seriously straight A*s, you'll be looking at 4 or 5 (depending on your TSA) offers by January
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
mate replace notts with bath/bristol. I got rejected from notts but got LSE and UCL. Notts isnt a safe choice

It was a safe choice for me, but I would advise not to choose it unless you actually want to go.
Reply 47

Nice choices, I picked similar but swapped out LSE for Nottingham and regretted it.
Reply 48
Original post by Tateco
It was a safe choice for me, but I would advise not to choose it unless you actually want to go.

Hmm but a few people at my 6th form managed to get offers from the likes of LSE and UCL but didnt get Nottingham. And quite a few people on TSR got rejected with solid grades but I didnt really see that as much with Bath and Bristol really...
Reply 49
Hmm but a few people at my 6th form managed to get offers from the likes of LSE and UCL but didnt get Nottingham. And quite a few people on TSR got rejected with solid grades but I didnt really see that as much with Bath and Bristol really...

I haven't seen much evidence of that at my school, I regret applying there anyway.
:yeah::tee:

Same :biggrin:
Had a quick stalk but you'll easily get lse ucl with 11A* at gcse's. and why not warwick? i'd replace bath or edinburgh with warwick.

I got 7A* and i'm off to LSE come oct.

EDIT: Seriously straight A*s, you'll be looking at 4 or 5 (depending on your TSA) offers by January

I didn't like warwick :h:. I get what you're saying, but I don't want to apply to 5 where there's a chance I'll get all rejections (which may still happen with those choices). Edinburgh is the one I'm not sure on :holmes: (and LSE).
Reply 52
I didn't like warwick :h:. I get what you're saying, but I don't want to apply to 5 where there's a chance I'll get all rejections (which may still happen with those choices). Edinburgh is the one I'm not sure on :holmes: (and LSE).

Holy ****, you're almost at uni application stage? I'm getting old. :no:

Also, hi. :h:

Also, I had no idea you were ever interested in Econ! This pleases me. Have you considered places like York etc?
Original post by JessicaW
Holy ****, you're almost at uni application stage? I'm getting old. :no:

Also, hi. :h:

Also, I had no idea you were ever interested in Econ! This pleases me. Have you considered places like York etc?

Oh, it's you. You are old.

Hey there :h:.

I have, I have been through the websites/online prospectus thingys of all of those kind of places. (Where are you now? Cambridge? I forget..)
Reply 54
Oh, it's you. You are old.

Hey there :h:.

I have, I have been through the websites/online prospectus thingys of all of those kind of places. (Where are you now? Cambridge? I forget..)

I know. :sad:

Fair enough. Have you thought about what kind of course you want? If you're going for E&M at Oxford then I'm guessing you want a less mathsy course? But then, the UCL and LSE courses are quite quantsy. I'd definitely visit some of them before you apply, especially LSE. I didn't like it much at all, but you may feel differently.
Reply 55
I didn't like warwick :h:. I get what you're saying, but I don't want to apply to 5 where there's a chance I'll get all rejections (which may still happen with those choices) . Edinburgh is the one I'm not sure on :holmes: (and LSE).

It won't, you're definitely over estimating how competitive it is.. I'll re direct you back to this post come January :tongue:

Why aren't you too sure on Edinburgh (haha why scotland?) and LSE?
Reply 56

I applied to Warwick and regretted it too, make sure you like where you are applying and are not just choosing it because it's in the elusive top 5 :tongue:
Reply 57
It won't, you're definitely over estimating how competitive it is.. I'll re direct you back to this post come January :tongue:

Why aren't you too sure on Edinburgh (haha why scotland?) and LSE?

It is competitive though, surely case studies like Yash prove it?
Reply 58
Original post by Tateco
It is competitive though, surely case studies like Yash prove it?

:colondollar: Man knows!
Original post by MisanthropicLemon
x

The conclusion of my rambling heap of prose? If your UMS aren't that amazing, apply to Oxford. If they are amazing, apply to Cambridge. Even though it's still possible at Cambridge with average UMS scores, you want to maximise your chances. Good luck guys.

x

One problem that occurs for prospective applicants to economics (me included) is that Oxford doesn't offer a sole economics undergraduate degree course. Oxford only offers these 5 joint degree courses:

http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/index.php/undergraduate

This makes the choice between Oxford and Cambridge more difficult. I should hopefully achieve top grades, for which I am proud of myself, but I doubt I will possess 'amazing UMS scores'. A recent Cambridge applicants handler said they are really looking for people with above 95% UMS and at least above 90% UMS. With an average of above 90 - 95% UMS, you will have a 3/10 chance of having a successful application. I am not making this up, this is what she said.

I would definitely apply to Oxford if they offered a single degree for Economics but since they don't, I am probably stuck with an unlikely-to-be successful application to Cambridge. Before anyone says you could simply not apply to Oxbridge etc., I have a chance of getting in so I will try.

Quick Reply

Latest