Turn on thread page Beta

Please make sure your car has the correct antio freeze level watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The next week is going to get -10c at nights and this can be lethal for cars. If ice forms in the radiator or engine block the liquid that is already there will expand and eventualy the preasure will cause the radiator or engine block to crack.

I was speaking to a machanic who was looking at my mates car about this and he said it is actually more common than you would think. Usualy it is just radiators bursting and loose hoses but in extreme circumstances the engine block can crack as well, if that happens you need a new engine.

So don't take chances make sure your car is properly topped up to cope with the up coming cold snap.

ReputationRep:
    In my one car it has been running on the same oil for the last 75,000 miles (9 years) and same anti freeze level. A new engine only costs 50 quid from a scrappy + a few hours fitting it, it costs more to maintain it than it does to just get a new engine IMO.

Car in question - 1.4 8 valve corsa SRi. Gets redlined from cold every day from new and has never missed a beat.

So yeah, this only really applies on new cars.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Show me a decent engine for £50 and i'll buy it for you. Much easier to just maintain your original engine to a high standard than screw about with replacements every few years. In fact, all the advice given applies especially to older cars - new cars can go 60K miles on the same oil, but older ones need changes every 10k or less. Is it really easier finding + fitting a new engine rather than just putting in some oil and antifreeze now and again?

ReputationRep:
    Even fully synth (not mineral synth) should be changed no less than 18k, anything less is lazy.

ReputationRep:
    In my one car it has been running on the same oil for the last 75,000 miles (9 years) and same anti freeze level. A new engine only costs 50 quid from a scrappy + a few hours fitting it, it costs more to maintain it than it does to just get a new engine IMO.

Car in question - 1.4 8 valve corsa SRi. Gets redlined from cold every day from new and has never missed a beat.

So yeah, this only really applies on new cars.
    LMAO

ReputationRep:
    The engine block cracked my on uncles Rover 25 1.4 K series which caused by a head gasket crack. It cost him £1000 for a replacement and he fitted it himself.

One year later the crappy PSA gearbox failed, he replaced and then sold the car .

Plus also Ryan fitting a new engine is hardly like changing the spark plugs is it?

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.