The Student Room Group

OCR B F335 - Chemistry by Design - 13th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by master_blaster66
do the 2854 legacy pastpapers, theyre all the same thing except a few extra topicz on it

Thanks! I'll definitely take a look :smile:
I don't really use the revision guides at all. I just use the chemical ideas text book. I think that the revision guides are useful for things like reaction conditions but for the actual chemistry I think they are too condensed.
Reply 42
Is this module supposed to be smaller than the other ones?
Original post by Sparkzz

no this is the biggest module..its synoptic
Original post by Sparkzz

in terms of new stuff, yes. but there's so much to learn you cant really kid yourself its a small topic lol :P
Reply 45
Original post by tania<3
in terms of new stuff, yes. but there's so much to learn you cant really kid yourself its a small topic lol :P

its all reaction conditions :frown: more worried abt bio, hows ur prep goin?
reaction conditions are a bitch...

prep is okay - havent done much of bio tbh because its my last exam, plus i can afford to get a C in it xD but otherwise been preparing loads for chem and maths. how about you?

My chemistry spec is so colourful as Ive been highlighting and making notes on it as i go through it :colone: pretty proud of it LOL
Reply 47
Original post by tania<3
reaction conditions are a bitch...

prep is okay - havent done much of bio tbh because its my last exam, plus i can afford to get a C in it xD but otherwise been preparing loads for chem and maths. how about you?

My chemistry spec is so colourful as Ive been highlighting and making notes on it as i go through it :colone: pretty proud of it LOL

haha yess my revision cards look bufff
lol i need to do well in bio :frown:, maths and chem are fine
u excited for georgess :biggrin:
Original post by Sparkzz
haha yess my revision cards look bufff
lol i need to do well in bio :frown:, maths and chem are fine
u excited for georgess :biggrin:

I'll have my fingers crossed for you, just work hard and you'll be fine :biggrin:

yeah man! you??
Reply 49
Original post by tania<3
I'll have my fingers crossed for you, just work hard and you'll be fine :biggrin:

yeah man! you??

yesss likewise lol, we both shud be fine!
yessss, my rents seem more excited lol
Hey guys
You know for NMR spectroscopy do we actually need to know how and why it works (the whole magnets aligning and deuterium part) or do we just need to know how to interpret a given spectrum to figure out the molecular structure of a compound ?

Thanks ! :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by totally_tash
Hey guys
You know for NMR spectroscopy do we actually need to know how and why it works (the whole magnets aligning and deuterium part) or do we just need to know how to interpret a given spectrum to figure out the molecular structure of a compound ?

Well its in chemical ideas so probably, but i havent seen any past paper questions on it yet :smile: maybe just learn the aligning and that the ones which are against the magnet field have highest energy :smile: but definitely have to know about the interpretation :smile:
Original post by totally_tash
Hey guys

I had a look in the specification on the OCR website and it says the following:

"describe and explain how proton nuclear magnetic resonance spectra (NMR) can be used for the elucidation of molecular structure (including splitting patterns up to quartets using the ‘n + 1’ rule; further explanation of splitting not required);

(k) explain how a combination of spectroscopic techniques [MS, IR (synoptic) and NMR] can be used"
Original post by Waqar.
Ooh this thread seems pretty useful :smile: How's everyone going about doing past papers because theres only a few available?

Our teacher got some relevant questions off old past papers, if you look up, someone suggested some papers to me.
Hope that helps :smile: [If you're not sure what's relevant use the syllabus to help! :smile:]
Reply 54
I made a Mediafire folder for all the past papers and mark schemes including Jan 12 for F334 and F335. Here you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qylj8ljevsks6
Reply 55
Hey... recognise most of you from the threads when we've taken the other exams :P

How's it going for everyone? If my teacher got my coursework mark right (hope it doesn't go down when it gets invigilated!) then I need a C in this module to get an A overall. I've probably just jinxed myself now!

I'm finding half of it okay. All the calculations for acidity constants and that new stuff is okay, it's just organic reactions (and all the conditions we have to learn... so many!) and synthesis that's getting me. I have 2 physics exams to do before I do this one though so I've been concentrating on them. Really need to get started with the revision now though!
isit me or is NMR the hardest topic on f335..its raping me :frown:
With NMR I think you just need the rules and then you're off. Same with most of it. You need the recipe for each question, then you won't write too much or too little. Some good things to look over are the long answer questions, try and find out what each mark is for, and the important points about each topic you might get, it's what we did in preparation for f334, and I think it really helped :smile:
I am shi***** myself for this paper... only 3 weeks to go :frown:
Okay I did my first paper for this topic today and got on the dot B :frown: not good when I need an A.

I did f335 June 10 paper and found some questions difficult ...can anyone explain how you would work them out ... i've look at the mark scheme but they dont always lay the answer/working out in steps.

some of the questions are:
- Q4 a(i)

- Q5 e(v)

- Q5 f

Here's the paper: http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10_jun/ocr_57559_pp_10_jun_gce_f335.pdf?

Thanks alot :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending