tshiebwa2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
got an interview at primark coming up, anyone recently been to an interview or working there that could help with the questions that could come up and what they expect from employees..

i was also wondering if staff get any benefits for working there
sophiescfc17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i dont know whether staff get discounts or anything, i should imagine so..i've just applied for a job at primark just waiting to see whether im successful or not good luck with your interview!
chikane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tshiebwa2)
got an interview at primark coming up, anyone recently been to an interview or working there that could help with the questions that could come up and what they expect from employees..

i was also wondering if staff get any benefits for working there
I work there, and there was a thread which i posted on that i got asked,

why do you want to work here?
Have you any work experience?
How can you contribute to a team?
What are primarks competitors?
Have you any communication skills?
How do you make sure work is to a high quality?
Name a time when you had to work in a team under pressure?
When you gave good service? and how do you deal with rude customer?

Be really confident my interviewer let slip i had the highest mark for my interview even though im not a confident person.

There are no staff discount sadly the only benefit is working your way up to be a supervisor or manager. But good place to work if your a student.
tshiebwa2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
thanks for the tips.. i'm not really bothered about staff discount, having a job is all that matters right now.
but how should i answer these questions

Name a time when you had to work in a team under pressure?( can i talk about school project or just something related to a real job)
Lisaloop
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
is it a group interview or just one to one? I have an interview next week.
maharrington
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tshiebwa2)
thanks for the tips.. i'm not really bothered about staff discount, having a job is all that matters right now.
but how should i answer these questions

Name a time when you had to work in a team under pressure?( can i talk about school project or just something related to a real job)
being a team player maybe?
think about the target market for primark - and where they could shop at the moment?
and yes you can use a school project - i did.
maharrington
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lisaloop)
is it a group interview or just one to one? I have an interview next week.

which store is this for if you dont mind me asking?
Lisaloop
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
do primark give alot of overtime? And does folding clothes all day go quick? Or do you get different jobs? Also do you get breaks if you work 4 hours?
maharrington
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lisaloop)
do primark give alot of overtime? And does folding clothes all day go quick? Or do you get different jobs? Also do you get breaks if you work 4 hours?
Overtime depends on who else in on holiday that needs covering and also the time of year (Christmas you get loads)...but also depends on how much money the store manager has available to spend on wages soooo most of the time there is a fair amount of overtime available, but there may be times when its not.

We don't just fold clothes no, there are loads of other jobs that you do and it depends on the position that youre employed for as to those jobs, you may be emplpyed simply to work on a till which i used to do, and that goes fairly quick because obviously it's so fast pace.

And no, you only get breaks if you work 5+ hours.
Lisaloop
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
do you get to choose what part you can work on? Do they tell you at the interview? I have applied for a 20 hour contract mon - friday. Do you if the shifts are just 4 hours at a time? Or longer? As I dont know if it would be worth my petrol for short shifts? Thanks for your help. Its really useful.
maharrington
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No not normally, you normally just get put where there is a vacancy - however:
If you're put on tills and either have an early morning or later afternoon shift, you'll normally end up helping out on department (which is normally just recovery at that time of day).

You can also ask for training elsewhere like I did (I'm a weekend employee, and originally got put on tills (was on there for over a year), then asked for training on Customer Servicers (got put on there for 3/4 months), then there was a vacancy in the cash office, so asked for training in there.

No they don't normally tell you whether you have got the job at the interview/where you'd be working, however, they may mention something....normally you'll get your interview, then a phone call if you've been successful, and then on you're induction you're normally told where you'd be working (they put suitable people in suitable places if you get what i mean?).

Erm, normally a part time weekday contract is just 4 hour shifts everyday, however, again, you may get overtime on somedays, or they may be able to add a few hours to your contract if another vacancy comes up and they accept you (it's cheaper for them to have one employee than to have to employ 2 people to cover 2 shifts (as they over lap) )
Wages in our store are £5.46 per hour for over 18's (but they vary slightly from store to store depending on the size and location etc.), so maybe you'd be able to work out whether it'd be worth it from that?

And you're welcome.
Lisaloop
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you know if its a group interview with team building games?
Lastly would you recommend working there? As some posts on here say its awful?
Thanks
maharrington
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Erm, when I got an interview, it was a one-to-one interview as it was an older store.
However, I've heard about group interviews....they are basically just what it says on the tin, just mass amounts of people who are applying for a job, then there are HR managers from around the country that have one-to-one interviews with everyone that are there and potentially offer a job to some (most) of them.
I don't think that there are any team building games, however, I have heard (possibly) that new applicants have to log onto this website and pass certain quiz things before being able to get an induction now - but I don't know whether this is true or not, or whether you'll have to do this - so don't quote me on this.

Personally, I love working at Primark - but it depends on the person.
Some people where I work hate working there and you can tell that they are simply in it because its a job and they're getting money from it - so they come to work, do what they have to do and leave - which I personally believe are the people that say it is awful.
Yes, it gets busy and sometimes you are doing the same stuff day in, day out, but thats the job and is to be expected really.
Yes, you on the odd occassion get bad customers that are rude, but it's the same with any other job...and since it's not your job to deal with them, you pass them onto your supervisor/line manager.
My manager said she used to work at Primark, left to go to a well known supermarket (M ) and hated it, so she asked for her job back at Primark.
She was also the one that motivated me to get trained in all of those different areas...therefore, if you want to expand your knowledge & skills...ask for training in those different areas!
If you show an enthusiasm, you'll get more out of it.
youngbuck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
they just ask you general questions like;
why do you want to work at primark?
what qualities can you offer?
they often ask for examples when youve dealt with difficult customers or times when youve solved a problem

and nope they dont give discount, only around boxing day sales and its only 10%
stargirl327
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This was really helpful , I got a phone call for an interview on Thursday and I'm really nervous!
holachicka
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've recently had a primark interview (April 2014) I know a lot of these answers, if not all of them, are very out-dated and a few years old. They ask you very basic questions like:
Have you ever dealt with a rude/angry customer and how did you deal with the situation.
Have you ever worked in a team
What's good customer serivce
Are you in education
Why do you want to work for primark
Don't ask about the pay until they mention it as it can come across like you're in it for the money (marjority are ahah)
I got the job. You just need to come across confident (don't go over board) bubble and approachable. In every question give evidence, whether it was in school, college or a previous job. tell them about your experience!
I got a phone call the next day saying I had the job. I also had my induction a few days later. you watch a video, talk through rules and fill out forms etc. then a tour of the store and sort out clock in codes etc. your feet do ache after a while if you do long shifts. Everywhere is very messy but goes quick when you have stuff to do!
I'm not sure on the pay rate until I get my first wages. Primark pay monthly rather than weekly or fortnightly.
adrianna90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have interview with primark tom?Shocking things is I have interview on sunday?
Is it one to one or group interview?
Can you please guide me?
kingray
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
can you specify what you answererd to the questions... just as a rough guidline... also which store are you located in ?
kingray
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
holachicka ?
KittyCats
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to know if Primark calls or emails responses after an interview ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (266)
15.54%
Uncertainty around my education (270)
15.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (173)
10.11%
Isolating with family (118)
6.89%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (77)
4.5%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (144)
8.41%
Loneliness (168)
9.81%
Financial worries (67)
3.91%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (155)
9.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (122)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (152)
8.88%

Watched Threads