Results in Jan - UMS, Raw mark or grade? Watch

tymbnuip
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
As far as I know, my school is able to get the results of the modules on March 9th electronically. What I want to know is whether they will get the UMS, raw mark or a grade?
alispam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you should get UMS and a grade - i have never seen my raw mark for any paper at AS or A2 apart from papers which were sent off for by the school.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Because in most cases the results are for separate modules rather than complete qualifications, won't we just get UMS marks and have to work out the grades ourselves?
Trundle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think they usually include the grade for that specific paper, within the grade boundaries and you have to work it out where that leaves you overall.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Because in most cases the results are for separate modules rather than complete qualifications, won't we just get UMS marks and have to work out the grades ourselves?
good point.

I think we'll get the UMS marks out of the specific units, with a grade next to them, i.e. 80/90 A(a) which is the usual format. Not sure what it'll say for the overall qualification.....
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mustard-man)
good point.

I think we'll get the UMS marks out of the specific units, with a grade next to them, i.e. 80/90 A(a) which is the usual format. Not sure what it'll say for the overall qualification.....
That would be easier. When I got my AS results, all I got was a bunch of UMS marks, eg Eng lit 1 91/120. No grade for each module, no total UMS for each subject and no overall grade for each subject. It's because my school doesn't cash in AS results.
Mellie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Last year I got a number and a letter.
ie 81/90 (a)

Whats UMS and Raw about? Or is that a thick question?
toddlers crossword
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Raw mark is the actual mark you got on the paper, e.g. 60/75, 80/100, or whatever.

The UMS, as far as im aware, has been adjusted according to how well candidates did as a whole on the paper that year (i think it stands for uniform mark scheme?). So if people performed poorly, meaning the paper was a difficult one, your UMS could be adjusted upwards a couple of points. Although dont quote me on that cos I could be wrong. Also, you can get 120/120 for example, UMS marks, without actually getting 100% on the paper, which is pretty cool!

Just thought from reading the above posts, what is the point in putting your mark as A (a), B (b) etc? In case people dont understand the capital letters or something? lol
alispam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
When I got my AS results, all I got was a bunch of UMS marks, eg Eng lit 1 91/120. No grade for each module, no total UMS for each subject and no overall grade for each subject. It's because my school doesn't cash in AS results.
Yes this does happen, but the grade boundaries are normally on the back of the results slip - although this isn't true for all boards.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by alispam)
Yes this does happen, but the grade boundaries are normally on the back of the results slip - although this isn't true for all boards.
Yeah, they were, it just meant extra effort to work them all out myself :p: By the time you get to results day, you've already been waiting so long you just want to see a grade!
alispam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeah i agree. unless its near full marks which is blatantly an A or about 2/120 which is clearly a U, your there woundering "OMG 90/120 what the hell is that...."
Little_Button
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by singingsally1)
Just thought from reading the above posts, what is the point in putting your mark as A (a), B (b) etc? In case people dont understand the capital letters or something? lol
It's so people can't tamper with the grades on certificates *I think*
Sephrenia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KatieKangaroo)
It's so people can't tamper with the grades on certificates *I think*
Thats what I think too..
discombobulation
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I know I'm getting my UMS mark and the previous UMS mark and my teacher has my other marks so we'll be able to work out whether I've done any better

Hopefully my 6 marks off an A grade will transform into a huge amazing A grade lol!
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by misst)
Thats what I think too..
yeh that is wha its for, i'm sure it says that on the back of the slip ( ithink)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (91)
25.93%
No (260)
74.07%

Watched Threads