The Student Room Group

International student applying for medicine

Hi all,
I am a student from Singapore and would like to pursue a medical degree in UK. I haven't done any tests or whatsoever but if there are no problems with my ukcat,my choices are as follows: kings, Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds. Any advice in these unis? I know Sheffield places high priority on ukcat and for kings it would be gcse. However given the fact that I did not take my o levels (=gcse) I wonder how would that affect me. Also, do you all have any advice as to what unis I should apply too, perhaps suggestions whereby there are more international students or unis that offer the problem based learning approach? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm from Singapore too and applied for medicine this year :smile:

I gather you're in the integrated programme? Have you completed your A levels? What were your grades in secondary 4 and A levels? I think more information would help. Anyway, applications to the 2012 entry cycle is closed, so you'll have to apply for the 2013 cycle from Sept to Mid Oct. UKCAT test can be taken from July onwards to I think early October, while BMAT is done in early November after your application is submitted.

I was in the IP programme too and emailed some universities about how they look at our application compared to those who have O level results. Some like St. Andrews would still look at how you fared in secondary 4 and give you an academic score just like other O level applicants. Some like Bristol replied that applicants would be at no disadvantage if they have not taken the O levels. I suggest emailing universities you are interested in applying to as their admission procedures are different. It is up to you if you want to fill in your sec 4 grades in the UCAS form (not sure if it's my school policy only). If you don't and the universities require them, I suppose they'll email you for it.

Regarding the universities to apply to, I suggest reading various university websites to find out more about their curriculum, course fees, interview location, selection procedures etc. From the top of my head, Manchester, Glasgow and Barts and the London uses PBL, while King's and Leeds use mainly lectures. It may be more strategic to zoom in to a few universities only when you have received your UKCAT scores though.

Hope this helps and good luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi Ergo,
Yes I am in the integrated programme. Studies wise I didn't do that well in secondary 4 because I was still in some delusional state thinking that since it wasn't O levels and thus it wasn't important. But I was wrong haha. Anyway I am applying for 2013 entry, currently in jc2 this year. Co curricular wise I would I say I was quite good. Had a v good write up at the end of sec 4. If I am not wrong you don't have to fill your sec4 grades in for UCAS unless the unis specifically asks for it. May I know which medical school did you get into?
For uk unis I'm just using ukcat so I shall see when the results come out. But I did some mock papers so far from the ukcat website and it seems pretty good- ~3100
I'd just be using bmat for the new ntu med school.
Thanks so much for your advice, I'll probably start emailing the admissions team for the respective medical schools I am interested in applying too. Oh and by the way how did you settle your English qualifications? Thanks!
Reply 3
Hi there :smile: I'm from Singapore & an IP school too!

For English qualifications you can just use your Sec 4 end of year English (or Language Arts if you're from Dunman High like me) and email the individual universities that you have applied. For me they actually emailed my referee (also civics tutor) and we had to clarify but most of the unis will understand as long as you email them regarding it :smile: I did not submit my Sec 4 grades as well and only a few unis will email you to ask for them. Some of the unis like Leicester will base them on either your Sec 4 grades or disregard them altogether for their selection process.

If you really want to get into med school in your first try, I would suggest choosing schools that you think you will CONFIRM get an interview (aka a chance to impress your interviewers) so that you will not waste your chances. So you mostly choose the schools that select students to interview solely based on UKCAT cutoff (Sheffield, Newcastle etc.) You can read more here although the page is 2 years ago, it is mostly relevant: http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/Medical-School.aspx

An important thing to note is that your grades need to be AAA to be considered at least. Medicine is a highly competitive course, so do well at every aspect of the selection process -- UKCAT, personal statement, referee report & interview of course -- and you will stand a high chance :smile: All the best!
Hi there, I'm from singapore too. From what I know, Sheffield's curriculum does not gravitate towards PBL(I've applied a gotten an interview there). I did not do all that well for UKCAT, in fact, based on past history I should not have gotten into interview stage for sheffield. So maybe they do place quite a lot of emphasis on your academics and PS. Glasgow and manchester would be good choices for PBL. I suggest you rank your chosen schools by researching on their curriculum, cost, reputation, city and admission requirements. By the way as long as your first language is english, most unis dont require an english test. Good luck
Reply 5
Original post by Sherskey
Hi all,
I am a student from Singapore and would like to pursue a medical degree in UK. I haven't done any tests or whatsoever but if there are no problems with my ukcat,my choices are as follows: kings, Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds. Any advice in these unis? I know Sheffield places high priority on ukcat and for kings it would be gcse. However given the fact that I did not take my o levels (=gcse) I wonder how would that affect me. Also, do you all have any advice as to what unis I should apply too, perhaps suggestions whereby there are more international students or unis that offer the problem based learning approach? Thanks!

Hiya,

Sheffield no longer places a large emphasis on the UKCAT, with people getting interviews having achieved 2500+ this year. Kings has a relatively high UKCAT cutoff compared to other universities but not a heavy emphasis on GCSEs. Birmingham, Oxford and Liverpool are the universities you should watch out for if you do not have good GCSE scores.

You should email the universities directly and they will be able to base your application on an equivalent qualification. e.g. IB instead of A levels.

There is a maximum number of international students that each university can accept. 7% of the overall medical student population if I am not mistaken. You will find more international students around Manchester and London tho.

Sheffield does not have a PBL structured course btw.
Reply 6
Hi Ergo,
Yes I am in the integrated programme. Studies wise I didn't do that well in secondary 4 because I was still in some delusional state thinking that since it wasn't O levels and thus it wasn't important. But I was wrong haha. Anyway I am applying for 2013 entry, currently in jc2 this year. Co curricular wise I would I say I was quite good. Had a v good write up at the end of sec 4. If I am not wrong you don't have to fill your sec4 grades in for UCAS unless the unis specifically asks for it. May I know which medical school did you get into?
For uk unis I'm just using ukcat so I shall see when the results come out. But I did some mock papers so far from the ukcat website and it seems pretty good- ~3100
I'd just be using bmat for the new ntu med school.
Thanks so much for your advice, I'll probably start emailing the admissions team for the respective medical schools I am interested in applying too. Oh and by the way how did you settle your English qualifications? Thanks!

I applied to Southampton, St. Andrews, Aberdeen and Leeds, received interviews for the first 3 and just yesterday an offer from Southampton(!!). I filled in my sec 4 grades anyway as I did well in it and I am kiasu :P

I'm not too sure about the english qualifications. The southampton offer did not specify the need for an english test but my backup did specify for it. I think I'll probably ask my school about this.
Reply 7
Original post by Metastasis
Hi there :smile: I'm from Singapore & an IP school too!

For English qualifications you can just use your Sec 4 end of year English (or Language Arts if you're from Dunman High like me) and email the individual universities that you have applied. For me they actually emailed my referee (also civics tutor) and we had to clarify but most of the unis will understand as long as you email them regarding it :smile: I did not submit my Sec 4 grades as well and only a few unis will email you to ask for them. Some of the unis like Leicester will base them on either your Sec 4 grades or disregard them altogether for their selection process.

If you really want to get into med school in your first try, I would suggest choosing schools that you think you will CONFIRM get an interview (aka a chance to impress your interviewers) so that you will not waste your chances. So you mostly choose the schools that select students to interview solely based on UKCAT cutoff (Sheffield, Newcastle etc.) You can read more here although the page is 2 years ago, it is mostly relevant: http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/Medical-School.aspx

An important thing to note is that your grades need to be AAA to be considered at least. Medicine is a highly competitive course, so do well at every aspect of the selection process -- UKCAT, personal statement, referee report & interview of course -- and you will stand a high chance :smile: All the best!

Hi Metastasis,
Thank you for your reply :smile: I don't think I'd include my sec4 grades then, do you know which unis require them? :smile: given that I still don't know whether I should apply for king's. It's my first choice but I know they do look at gcses. I got a B for language arts, should be fine right? Also what years do they consider your co curricular activities from onwards? Last but not least, what schools did you apply to? Thanks so much!
Reply 8
Original post by runawayxtrain
Hi there, I'm from singapore too. From what I know, Sheffield's curriculum does not gravitate towards PBL(I've applied a gotten an interview there). I did not do all that well for UKCAT, in fact, based on past history I should not have gotten into interview stage for sheffield. So maybe they do place quite a lot of emphasis on your academics and PS. Glasgow and manchester would be good choices for PBL. I suggest you rank your chosen schools by researching on their curriculum, cost, reputation, city and admission requirements. By the way as long as your first language is english, most unis dont require an english test. Good luck

Hi runawayxtrain,
Thank you so much for the info. Did you go to Sheffield in the end? Actually even though many schools use the PBL I am still worried as is it gonna be effective? Could you shed some light in this area from past experiences if possible? Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by Vulpes
Hiya,

Sheffield no longer places a large emphasis on the UKCAT, with people getting interviews having achieved 2500+ this year. Kings has a relatively high UKCAT cutoff compared to other universities but not a heavy emphasis on GCSEs. Birmingham, Oxford and Liverpool are the universities you should watch out for if you do not have good GCSE scores.

You should email the universities directly and they will be able to base your application on an equivalent qualification. e.g. IB instead of A levels.

There is a maximum number of international students that each university can accept. 7% of the overall medical student population if I am not mistaken. You will find more international students around Manchester and London tho.

Sheffield does not have a PBL structured course btw.

Hi Vulpes,
Thanks for your reply. From what I understand, different unis place different emphasis on different areas. If I am not wrong Edinburgh weighs co curricula activities heavily is it true? What activities do they normally look out for? Also I understand work experience is v important. Is volunteering weekly at a hospital enough? Afterall quality >quantity right?
Reply 10
Original post by Ergo
I applied to Southampton, St. Andrews, Aberdeen and Leeds, received interviews for the first 3 and just yesterday an offer from Southampton(!!). I filled in my sec 4 grades anyway as I did well in it and I am kiasu :P

I'm not too sure about the english qualifications. The southampton offer did not specify the need for an english test but my backup did specify for it. I think I'll probably ask my school about this.

Hi Ergo,
Congrats! Did you just collect your a level results? Thank you for the advice this far. Were the offers conditional? Did you have to fly there for the interviews?
Reply 11
Hi Metastasis,
Thank you for your reply :smile: I don't think I'd include my sec4 grades then, do you know which unis require them? :smile: given that I still don't know whether I should apply for king's. It's my first choice but I know they do look at gcses. I got a B for language arts, should be fine right? Also what years do they consider your co curricular activities from onwards? Last but not least, what schools did you apply to? Thanks so much!

Hi! Are you my junior? Hehe :smile: um I think you can leave them out first and wait for the unis to email you as they should know the existence of the IP in Singapore. B for eng/LA and above should be fine generally :smile: For co-curricular activities from jc onwards unless theyre really exceptional like student council president then perhaps you can include those from your secondary school days. I applied to Aberdeen, Leicester, Newcastle and Nottingham and received an offer from Newcastle so far :smile:
Reply 12
One of my cousins is from Singapore and is now in his second year of a medicine degree in the UK.
He says its great but hard work. and gettign used to the cold climate was a challenge in the first year.
Reply 13
Original post by Metastasis
Hi! Are you my junior? Hehe :smile: um I think you can leave them out first and wait for the unis to email you as they should know the existence of the IP in Singapore. B for eng/LA and above should be fine generally :smile: For co-curricular activities from jc onwards unless theyre really exceptional like student council president then perhaps you can include those from your secondary school days. I applied to Aberdeen, Leicester, Newcastle and Nottingham and received an offer from Newcastle so far :smile:

Hello!
Haha nope I am not your junior! Wanted to go to dhs previously but it was at buona vista last time and I was out off by the traveling distance :P does Newcastle place great emphasis on ukcat? I was looking at the link you gave me earlier on and I seem to quite like Newcastle and Nottingham! Do you need to have a super impressive portfolio? I don't, but I think what I have now should suffice :smile: thanks so much!
Reply 14
Original post by arbaaz
One of my cousins is from Singapore and is now in his second year of a medicine degree in the UK.
He says its great but hard work. and gettign used to the cold climate was a challenge in the first year.

Hi abraaz,
I know med school is tough work and more so for an international student, having to live away from home and seeing less if your family and friends. But still, I feel I am prepared for it and this is a sacrifice I'd have to make if i were to be a doctor next time. Any tips/ insights on med in uk? Thanks! :smile:
Reply 15
Hi, I am from Singapore too. TS, please don't mind me asking a small question because I don't want to start a thread for it. Apology in advance!

Anyway, I see that some universities require A*AB or somewhere along those lines but we do not have A* under the Singapore A level system. What does A*AB equate to?

And just another question: Are the entry requirements strictly adhered to? Like, I heard that law in top uk law schools doesn't really require AAA even if they stated so. Anyone has any idea?

Thanks in advance! Sorry again! :redface:
Reply 16
Hello!
Haha nope I am not your junior! Wanted to go to dhs previously but it was at buona vista last time and I was out off by the traveling distance :P does Newcastle place great emphasis on ukcat? I was looking at the link you gave me earlier on and I seem to quite like Newcastle and Nottingham! Do you need to have a super impressive portfolio? I don't, but I think what I have now should suffice :smile: thanks so much!

Newcastle uses ukcat to cutoff for the interviews, so yes it is purely ukcat selection until interviews. The cutoff is about 650 avg for this cycle :smile: I rly love notts as well but got rejected :frown: oh well. All the best! The website should suffice for most of the course structure and comparisons, perhaps you can check with your seniors or other people here for what the different cities has to offer :smile:
Reply 17
Hi Ergo,
Congrats! Did you just collect your a level results? Thank you for the advice this far. Were the offers conditional? Did you have to fly there for the interviews?

Yup I received my A levels results this year :smile: My Southampton offer was conditional on me getting AAA including chemistry. Not sure why it's still conditional though as I've already achieved my grades and I've emailed them about it immediately after I got my results.

I specifically chose universities that don't require me to fly to UK. I know that Southampton and Dundee interview in Malaysia, Aberdeen in Singapore, St. Andrews via Skype/phone, Birmingham, UCL, Imperial, St. George and King's in the UK, and Edinburgh don't interview at all. Do email the universities about this since they usually don't write it down on their websites.
Reply 18
Original post by Inceptive
Hi, I am from Singapore too. TS, please don't mind me asking a small question because I don't want to start a thread for it. Apology in advance!

Anyway, I see that some universities require A*AB or somewhere along those lines but we do not have A* under the Singapore A level system. What does A*AB equate to?

And just another question: Are the entry requirements strictly adhered to? Like, I heard that law in top uk law schools doesn't really require AAA even if they stated so. Anyone has any idea?

Thanks in advance! Sorry again! :redface:

If you're unsure about the new A* grade the best and fastest way would be to email the universities directly. I asked Durham's natural science team about their A*AA offer to home students and they replied that we would only need to achieve AAA.

Not sure about law, this a medical thread :wink: (In medicine, almost all the time unless there are extenuating circumstances etc., entry requirements are strictly adhered to)
Reply 19
Hi abraaz,
I know med school is tough work and more so for an international student, having to live away from home and seeing less if your family and friends. But still, I feel I am prepared for it and this is a sacrifice I'd have to make if i were to be a doctor next time. Any tips/ insights on med in uk? Thanks! :smile:

I think you seem to already have the zeal to keep you going through which will is great and will serve you handy for the next five years or so. So that's great. Tips: Most unis have parents for the international students which are just 2nd year med students who will help you with getting around, introduce you to other people and generally be a source of contact. Find out if your uni has them andget to know them, they can be a great source of help and support.
Freshers week I am presuming you know about? Make sure you are clued up on what to talk about in freshers week. My cousin went and everyone was talking about getting pissed and english soaps but because he is from singapore he didn't know what the english soaps like eastenders are and he didn't drink which he said made it harder. so I suggest watching a couple of episodes on youtube just so you can hold a basic conversation. If that fails then watch scrubs its a comedy medical show and everyone watches it! :smile:

Good Luck and I'm sure you'll enjoying studying in the UK!
Out of interest which uni you wanting to go to?

Quick Reply