Turn on thread page Beta

Going out with a smoker watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I always said i wouldn't, as i hate it. But then i kind of started smoking, and my bfsmokes occasionally at work too, tho he's more of a non smoker.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with it - I go out with drinkers and people who have :eek: taken drugs before - so there isn't much difference to me.

ReputationRep:
    Smokers are more attractive because you know in most cases they are going to be more interesting people. Unfortunately I'm going out with one of you unnecassarily passionate anti-smokers. I can get away with the occasional cigarette when she's not looking and she's never noticed so it can't be as bad (smell wise etc) as she reckons.

ReputationRep:
    I hate smoking but my ex smoked and it really didn't bother me - he was always very careful about not smoking around me, always chewed gum, and somehow his hair and clothes never smelt of smoke. I think if you like someone enough, it isn't a big enough reason to not go out with them.

ReputationRep:
    i seem to accidentally go out with them. id never go out with one tht smoked around me constantly tho, or in the house etc. its ok at parties to be sociable but personally dont like it, and dont like the taste when u kiss someone whos just smoked either!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nel48)
    Personally, as a non-smoker i would find having a smoker boyfriend disgusting. The smell and the yellowing and taste ... urgghhh.

I couldn't stand it - non-smokers for me only.

What about you guys? Do any of you non-smokers go out with smokers and find it ok?

Bit shallow, but then I wouldn't go out with someone fat, ugly or stupid. Not going out with smokers cuts out way too much of the population and it's not something I'd ever consider as a factor in a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    and geez guys - what makes you think we all have yellow teeth and fingers? I sure don't and I make sure I also get a haircut, wash my face and clip my toenails etc! Hygiene does not fly out the window the minute you start smoking! Methinks someone has been reading a little much of "The Schoolkids Guide to Bad and Norty Things you Shoudn't Try" - the type of book where if someone offers you a ciggie you should reply with something SUPER COOL and WITTY like "No thanks, i 'd rather have a fish milkshake" and then see how often you get beat up behing the bike shed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by segat1)
    and geez guys - what makes you think we all have yellow teeth and fingers? I sure don't and I make sure I also get a haircut, wash my face and clip my toenails etc! Hygiene does not fly out the window the minute you start smoking! Methinks someone has been reading a little much of "The Schoolkids Guide to Bad and Norty Things you Shoudn't Try" - the type of book where if someone offers you a ciggie you should reply with something SUPER COOL and WITTY like "No thanks, i 'd rather have a fish milkshake" and then see how often you get beat up behing the bike shed
    LMFAO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    Smokers are more attractive because you know in most cases they are going to be more interesting people.
    How on earth does being a smoker make you more interesting? Surely it just makes you more stupid. :rolleyes:

And it seems all smokers just stink! It's disgusting - I'm not saying 'you don't was your hair or cut your toe nails!!'

ReputationRep:
    People who smoke aren't stupid! You think Winston Churchill, Goerge Orwell and Albert Einstein were stupid? You get stupid smokers and non-smokers obviously.

And the point Laika's trying to make which I think you misunderstood was that the sort of person to try smoking is more likely to be an interesting person, which is true in a lot of cases.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a smoker, but my last boyfriend didn't smoke - he didn't really like it and wanted me to quit, but he obviously wasn't too bothered about it since we were together for a year and a half.

Most of my non-smoking friends don't seem too bothered about going out with smokers either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lummox)
    People who smoke aren't stupid! You think Winston Churchill, Goerge Orwell and Albert Einstein were stupid? You get stupid smokers and non-smokers obviously.
    Those examples are irrelevant - when these people smoked they didn't know about the harm smoking would do to them. While of course you do get stupid smokers and non-smokers, it is rather daft in this day and age, with all the health warnings that there are, to do something that everyone knows will kill you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lummox)
    And the point Laika's trying to make which I think you misunderstood was that the sort of person to try smoking is more likely to be an interesting person, which is true in a lot of cases.
    lol explain it to me please - I'm dying to hear why that fact alone would make them more interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nel48)
    How on earth does being a smoker make you more interesting? Surely it just makes you more stupid. :rolleyes:
    I'm really glad you used an increased sized font there. It really does reflect your wit. Score.

As for smokers/non-smokers, I don't mind but would avoid any non-smoker who complained about smoking. I try to be a considerate smoker - for example, I try to avoid others being subjected to the smoke - but people who come and point out that "Smoking Kills" is written in big letters on my packet are going to get burnt. Similarly, "Why do you smoke?" and "Don't you care about cancer/lung disease/my potential cancer/my potential lung disease" will just not fly.

"I hate non-smokers. I'd quit if I didn't think I'd become one of you." ~ Bill Hicks, and TFR

ReputationRep:
    If people want to smoke it's their perogative. Personally though, I wouldn't date a serious smoker and that's my perogative

ReputationRep:
    I'm a non smoker and personally wouldn't want to go out with a smoker, no offence to them, I don't have a grudge against people smoking I just hate the smell and the taste after kissing someone who smokes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Those examples are irrelevant - when these people smoked they didn't know about the harm smoking would do to them. While of course you do get stupid smokers and non-smokers, it is rather daft in this day and age, with all the health warnings that there are, to do something that everyone knows will kill you.
    Thank - you!! Exactly what i was going to say!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by castroneves)
    Its remarkable how attractive some girls look until you see them with a fag in there mouth. I could never go out with a smoker, I just find the smell replulsive.
    i agree.

and based on responses here if you want to maximise your chances in every way you can, not smoking would be useful

ReputationRep:
    The best thing about non smokers is that they seem to think the only benefit to smoking is to rebel against their parents or try and fit in.

Newsflash: All smokers know they are harming their bodies. They don't smoke for attention, the truth is smoking makes you feel damn good. I think the kind of person who smokes isn't obsessed with their health but values getting a buzz from that nice morning cigarette is interesting. Personally I'm too scared of killing myself to be a full blown smoker, but I enjoy the occasional one, it's a great great feeling.

I just can't stand the attitude of people who just totally reject smoking/ers for the damage to health but happily munch away on junk food and drink themselves to liver failure. Obviously smoking is very harmful, probably not comparable to those things but it's the attitude which is irritating, so superior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    The best thing about non smokers is that they seem to think the only benefit to smoking is to rebel against their parents or try and fit in.

Newsflash: All smokers know they are harming their bodies. They don't smoke for attention, the truth is smoking makes you feel damn good. I think the kind of person who smokes isn't obsessed with their health but values getting a buzz from that nice morning cigarette is interesting. Personally I'm too scared of killing myself to be a full blown smoker, but I enjoy the occasional one, it's a great great feeling.

I just can't stand the attitude of people who just totally reject smoking/ers for the damage to health but happily munch away on junk food and drink themselves to liver failure. Obviously smoking is very harmful, probably not comparable to those things but it's the attitude which is irritating, so superior.

i completely agree with you about the whole superiority thing, but I find it interesting that you get a 'buzz' from smoking and find it a great feeling - do other people feel like this? im not criticising at all, i am a smoker myself but I find i get nothing from a cigarette apart from relief from the nicotine craving, and psychologically the relief from just holding it in my hand

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.