Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about the Scottish system here...

I got 5 A's in my higher prelims there in english, maths, biology, chemistry and art. And I'm now onto choosing my 6th year subjects. I really don't fancy doing A-level bio because the content is mainly about animals and plants, and I'm bad with evolution etc, but should I do it for getting into dental school? I'd prefer to do maths A level. And regarding maths, which is the best of the four we are offered:-
    1. Further Maths
    2. Maths with mechanics
    3. Maths with statistics
    4. Pure Maths

In addition to whatever I choose between maths and biology... I'd like to do chemistry advanced higher and psychology higher and philosophy and medical ethics NC. Does this sound ok?

ReputationRep:
    i'd say pure maths because none of the others are particularly suited to dentistry (i don't think)

PS. this is my 200th post

ReputationRep:
    maths with stats definately...as you may find it useful when you have to criticise some research papers etc. I know some med students who have also had to do some epidemiology and stats would be useful for that. Its also not too bad whereas pure maths can often seem irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    A-level biology is handy to have, particularly for some fo the topics studied in the first two years of the course. None of the maths subjects are particularly relevant to dentistry - just do which ever one would be more interesting for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    You see the problem is that A-Level biology would be incredibly boring. I like biology for the human side of it and when you spend most of your time studying plants and fish, it's hard to see the relevance to dentistry. The only things I've done this year that I could possibly see as being relevant are the fluid mosaic model, sex-linked genetic conditions, cellular defence mechanisms and some cellular mechanisms (protein synthesis, DNA replication, protein secretion etc) but these have made up such a tiny part of the course. I just find all the non-human stuff incredibly boring!

Maths however, I like, and I would like to continue my studies of it. Pure maths does sound like the most interesting option or the one thats most suited to my tastes but from what I hear it's incredibly difficult. Statistics was a nightmare when I did it at standard grade level, it was so mundane.

ReputationRep:
    biology and chemistry are compulsary for dentistry

both at A2 as well

maths is okay but its not needed for dentistry

def. bio and chem though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    You see the problem is that A-Level biology would be incredibly boring. I like biology for the human side of it and when you spend most of your time studying plants and fish, it's hard to see the relevance to dentistry. The only things I've done this year that I could possibly see as being relevant are the fluid mosaic model, sex-linked genetic conditions, cellular defence mechanisms and some cellular mechanisms (protein synthesis, DNA replication, protein secretion etc) but these have made up such a tiny part of the course. I just find all the non-human stuff incredibly boring!

Maths however, I like, and I would like to continue my studies of it. Pure maths does sound like the most interesting option or the one thats most suited to my tastes but from what I hear it's incredibly difficult. Statistics was a nightmare when I did it at standard grade level, it was so mundane.
    I found the non-human side of biology pretty boring, but did it anyway. It is often difficult to see how things you are being taught are relevant to things you are going to need in the future, - even in the first couple of years of the course we seem to get taught all sorts of things I don't think i'll ever use again.

Having a full A2 in biology and chemistry isen't required for the majority of dental schools (you'll have to check prospectus's though) - usually they want and A2 in one and an AS in the other if not offered at A2.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Scottish lol, I don't know what A2 and AS are in comparison to our highers and advanced highers :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Bitewing's right, you need Bio and Chem and one of these for the full Alevel and the other for As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    I'm Scottish lol, I don't know what A2 and AS are in comparison to our highers and advanced highers :confused:
    Sorry, I'm not entirely sure how to convert my AS and A2 into your 'currency' ! - can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    Sorry, I'm not entirely sure how to convert my AS and A2 into your 'currency' ! - can anyone help?
    The first year of our A levels are called AS's (worth half an A level on their own). If you continue the subject to A2 level (ie the second year) then you get the full A-level.

Our AS levels are kinda like your highers and our A2s like you advanced highers although whears your highers are worth something on their own ASs arent really worth much in terms of uni applications on their own. You couldnt get into an english uni with just ASs but you could with just highers.

In terms of ucas points, scottish highers are worth slightly more points than an English AS level but less than an A2 level (so you would have to take say 4 or 5 highers to end up with the same points as you would get from 3 A-levels). Your advanced highers are worth the same number of UCAS points as our full A-levels.

So Bitweing if you had AAA at A level this would maybe be worth equivilant to AAABB/AAAAB in scottish highers or AAA in scottish advanced highers (I think!). You can do scottish highers in a year hense why you need more of them!!. I think scottish students normally take about 3 or 4 highers in the first year then then a few more in the second year as well as an advanced higher or two?! (correct me if im wrong please someone....)

ReputationRep:
    Ok well I'll be sitting 5 highers this year. I got 5 A's in my prelims. 4 A's and a B is the min entrance for dentistry.

I'm doing biology this year... And there is the human biology higher too, which I didn't do. My teachers have suggested I do A-level human biology rather than A-level biology because it would be of advantage to me. What do you think of this? That would almost be doing the full A-level in one year but I would study up before hand? Am I crazy lol? Basically we do most of the A-level in one year, but you can drop off to AS at half a year if you wish.

So that would be:
    Chem Adv. Higher
    Human bio A-level
    Psychology Higher
    Philosophy and Medical Ethics NC

Bearing in mind by the end of this year I should have highers in:
    English
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Art

And I already have Standard Grades (all straight ones) in:
    Maths
    Art
    Chem
    Bio
    Physics (thats an important one since I won't have a higher)
    French

And another point is that I bypassed S Grade english to higher but the unis require a standard grade or int 2 in english but I won't have it. If I get the higher should i be ok?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.