The Student Room Group

Physics or Maths A-level choices

So I have A's on both maths and physics for GCSE (their my predicted grades as I still have one more exam for each one to do) I just don't know which to do for my 4th option, my other 3 options are Biology, Chemistry and Art. I actually find maths & physics equally challenging and equally boring lol but I worked out that if I keep up with how im doing for both at GCSE, I will have a high A or a low A* for maths and a middle A for physics... But I want to hopefully go into medicine so taking Physics would make more sense but I have actually done a few re-sits in physics but not in maths and I probably prefer physics... so hard to pick!

Anyone who's taking both at A-level, which was more harder or more worth it??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Physics without Maths doesn't open any more options for you, while Maths on its own is useful for a number of degrees. So I'd say Maths.
Ditch Art and do the sciences and Maths.

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History.
I don't find either Maths or Physics hard. Although, maths comes easier to me because I'm doing FM and I've already covered more than I need to know in Maths.
Although, from my classmates, I can tell that they find Maths harder than physics.

I wouldn't advise doing physics without maths. Hardly anyone does that, and those that do tend to do worse.
Reply 3
Original post by MathematicsKiller
Ditch Art and do the sciences and Maths.

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History.
I don't find either Maths or Physics hard. Although, maths comes easier to me because I'm doing FM and I've already covered more than I need to know in Maths.
Although, from my classmates, I can tell that they find Maths harder than physics.

I wouldn't advise doing physics without maths. Hardly anyone does that, and those that do tend to do worse.

wow i'm thinking of doing exactly the same a levels as you! how are you finding them and what are you applying for? i am most likely doing double maths and physics and i'm not sure out of history and economics. what do you recommend?
Original post by non
wow i'm thinking of doing exactly the same a levels as you! how are you finding them and what are you applying for? i am most likely doing double maths and physics and i'm not sure out of history and economics. what do you recommend?

I highly suggest doing the Maths/FM combination. Your chances of getting an A*-A for maths will be high. Having done Mechanics 1 and Mechanics 2 for my Maths combination, it makes Physics a little easier.
Also, there are crucial things which physics doesn't teach you. Integration, for one...

I find myself putting in a lot of hours to complete Maths/FM homework, without even studying till it gets close to exam time. Nevertheless, it becomes easy because of the time you spend with the subject, and it is very easy to study with past papers.

I notice that Physics is somewhat neglected due to my lack of time. Although, it doesn't take much to study for either. History on the other hand, consumes a lot of my time with essay and coursework, and the notes which are necessary.

Overall, the one that annoys me the most due to the time it takes up is History. I still wouldn't change my choices though. I got AAAA for AS.

EDIT: I'm applying for a Mathematics MMath. My love for mathematics increases exponentially with the time I spend studying it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
I highly suggest doing the Maths/FM combination. Your chances of getting an A*-A for maths will be high. Having done Mechanics 1 and Mechanics 2 for my Maths combination, it makes Physics a little easier.
Also, there are crucial things which physics doesn't teach you. Integration, for one...

I find myself putting in a lot of hours to complete Maths/FM homework, without even studying till it gets close to exam time. Nevertheless, it becomes easy because of the time you spend with the subject, and it is very easy to study with past papers.

I notice that Physics is somewhat neglected due to my lack of time. Although, it doesn't take much to study for either. History on the other hand, consumes a lot of my time with essay and coursework, and the notes which are necessary.

Overall, the one that annoys me the most due to the time it takes up is History. I still wouldn't change my choices though. I got AAAA for AS.

EDIT: I'm applying for a Mathematics MMath. My love for mathematics increases exponentially with the time I spend studying it.

thanks would you recommend me taking history or economics with double maths and physics?
Original post by non
thanks would you recommend me taking history or economics with double maths and physics?

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to go for a degree in Economics, Economics A -Level will be more useful.
I believe that History will give you better background knowledge though, and in my school, History classes are very "mixed ability" and have a decent number of very high standard individuals. For my year, that was not the case with Economics.

Plus, if you can ace a traditional humanities subject as well as sciences and maths, what can't you do? :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by aka_Momo
So I have A's on both maths and physics for GCSE (their my predicted grades as I still have one more exam for each one to do) I just don't know which to do for my 4th option, my other 3 options are Biology, Chemistry and Art. I actually find maths & physics equally challenging and equally boring lol but I worked out that if I keep up with how im doing for both at GCSE, I will have a high A or a low A* for maths and a middle A for physics... But I want to hopefully go into medicine so taking Physics would make more sense but I have actually done a few re-sits in physics but not in maths and I probably prefer physics... so hard to pick!

Anyone who's taking both at A-level, which was more harder or more worth it??

You should almost definitely do maths. In general, people get better grades. There is less work, it all builds up nicely. It is almost definitely easier than physics for most candidates. And I would normally advise anyone against doing physics without maths, because A level physics requires more maths knowledge than GCSE covers.

Even for medicine, maths would probably be better (especially if you can do maths with statistics modules).
Reply 8
It depends on what you want to do. If you want to go for a degree in Economics, Economics A -Level will be more useful.
I believe that History will give you better background knowledge though, and in my school, History classes are very "mixed ability" and have a decent number of very high standard individuals. For my year, that was not the case with Economics.

Plus, if you can ace a traditional humanities subject as well as sciences and maths, what can't you do? :tongue:

i've got lots of ideas about what degree i want to do in the future, the degrees include: maths, physics engineering, economics, history and maybe law. i've got no idea which one i will choose and i will make up mind during my a levels.
I'd say go for maths. You don't need physics for medicine and maths opens up more doors anyway. I personally find AS maths much easier than Physics and it's a lot easier to revise for.
Original post by non
i've got lots of ideas about what degree i want to do in the future, the degrees include: maths, physics engineering, economics, history and maybe law. i've got no idea which one i will choose and i will make up mind during my a levels.

Economics courses rarely demand Economics A level. However, both law and History will want at least one essay- criticism based subject (i.e. History or EngLit). On that basis alone, you would be better off doing History rather than Economics.

It depends on how sure/ how much you want to do certain courses over others. Physics, maths, Engineering, etc. Won't care about your 4th A level. Economics would prefer Econ slightly, and History/ Law would want History. But if you're leaning towards Economics more, then perhaps go for that.
Reply 11
Original post by Llewellyn
Economics courses rarely demand Economics A level. However, both law and History will want at least one essay- criticism based subject (i.e. History or EngLit). On that basis alone, you would be better off doing History rather than Economics.

It depends on how sure/ how much you want to do certain courses over others. Physics, maths, Engineering, etc. Won't care about your 4th A level. Economics would prefer Econ slightly, and History/ Law would want History. But if you're leaning towards Economics more, then perhaps go for that.

thanks for your help yes i understand that history is more important but do top unis allow economics applicants to not have economics even if the school that they went to offers it. i would have to do a lot of back ground reading if i were to choose economics at uni.
Original post by non
thanks for your help yes i understand that history is more important but do top unis allow economics applicants to not have economics even if the school that they went to offers it. i would have to do a lot of back ground reading if i were to choose economics at uni.

LSE's view (economics not required):
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria/economics.aspx#What_qualifications_does_LSE_look_for

Cambridge's view:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/economics/
"Essential: Maths"
"Desirable: Economics"

Both LSE and Cambridge (commonly regarded as the very best unis for economics) don't require Economics. This to me says that few courses will demand Economics A level. Of course, some unis may want Economics, in which case you'll have to be more careful about where you apply.

It may help to give what you want to do a bit more thought and perhaps narrow it down a little bit more (hard I know!) However, I maintain that if you're unsure but you're still looking at those options, History would probably be better than economics.
Reply 13
Original post by Llewellyn
LSE's view (economics not required):
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria/economics.aspx#What_qualifications_does_LSE_look_for

Cambridge's view:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/economics/
"Essential: Maths"
"Desirable: Economics"

Both LSE and Cambridge (commonly regarded as the very best unis for economics) don't require Economics. This to me says that few courses will demand Economics A level. Of course, some unis may want Economics, in which case you'll have to be more careful about where you apply.

It may help to give what you want to do a bit more thought and perhaps narrow it down a little bit more (hard I know!) However, I maintain that if you're unsure but you're still looking at those options, History would probably be better than economics.

thanks i'll take history as it's impossible for me to choose out of them going only on GCSE knowledge.
Reply 14
I have applied to medicine and I got a place :whoop:

I think maths is much easier than physics especially in the first year so if you choose them purely on the probability of attaining an A, pick maths!

I would however like to point out that Chemistry and one other science are usually needed ie. if you are taking chemistry and biology, maths/physics aren't needed and if there is something that you enjoy more and you are really good at choose that!!! :smile:
With the whole History/Economics debate I'd say be very careful about what you read on TSR. I do History and whilst I do find it interesting and enjoyable, economics will teach you more interesting content and can also be used as an essay subject, considering unit 4 is just two essays.

Both are great though, so do what you prefer more :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Monkeysuit.
With the whole History/Economics debate I'd say be very careful about what you read on TSR. I do History and whilst I do find it interesting and enjoyable, economics will teach you more interesting content and can also be used as an essay subject, considering unit 4 is just two essays.

Both are great though, so do what you prefer more :smile:

what do you mean by be careful what you read on TSR. also i don't know what i prefer as i'm finishing GCSEs and subjects are massively different in a level and i don't even do Economics GCSE. what do you recommend because History looks more useful because economics isn't required for an economics degree but history is required for a history degree (i'm interested in both these degrees as well as maths/ physics because i want to take double maths and physics also, taking 5 options isn't an option). also history is regarded more strongly as an essay based subject rather than economics (useful if i choose to do a law degree which is an option) and i also hate eng lit so i won't take that.

do you take economics and history and please explain which one you prefer and what degree you want to do as well as your other a level subjects. how essay based is economics because i think it's half non and half an essay based subject.
Original post by non
what do you mean by be careful what you read on TSR. also i don't know what i prefer as i'm finishing GCSEs and subjects are massively different in a level and i don't even do Economics GCSE. what do you recommend because History looks more useful because economics isn't required for an economics degree but history is required for a history degree (i'm interested in both these degrees as well as maths/ physics because i want to take double maths and physics also, taking 5 options isn't an option). also history is regarded more strongly as an essay based subject rather than economics (useful if i choose to do a law degree which is an option) and i also hate eng lit so i won't take that.

do you take economics and history and please explain which one you prefer and what degree you want to do as well as your other a level subjects. how essay based is economics because i think it's half non and half an essay based subject.

I'd just like to add that you will almost certainly be considered for Economics without the A level as although maths is compulsory, FM will be orgasmic to admissions tutors.
Reply 18
I'd just like to add that you will almost certainly be considered for Economics without the A level as although maths is compulsory, FM will be orgasmic to admissions tutors.

thanks for that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Do maths !
I, personally find it hard but there's no reason you shouldn't do well in it if you put in the work. I hate physics though and i find it hard and i find it boring- and it just drains the energy out of me.

Sorry, don't mean to put you off- just my opinion-maybe look at the kind of stuff you'll be studying?

Quick Reply

Latest