ucas extra?? Watch

smurfride
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Although I've had some good offers for the course i originally wanted to do, i am beginning to wonder if i actually want to go to any of the unis i applied to and have seen that the course is different to what i was expecting, I've been thinking of changing course etc through ucas extra but could someone please explain;

a)how this would affect my chances of getting in a half decent uni-as the admission tutors surely won't look upon it very favourably?

b)Is it likely to be only the not so good unis that have courses available?

c) is it possible to see what course are available through extra this year? if not when?

d)how many choices do you get?

If any one can help i would be really grateful thankyou!!
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
a) They won't know your reasons for applying through Extra, and they'll want to fill the spaces if you're good enough.

b) Maybe.

c) Easter.

d) One at a time. But if you get rejected you can apply to another one. And if you get rejected you can apply to another one. And then, if you get rejected you can apply to another! You can keep applying til you run out of time or get an offer you decide to accept.
smurfride
Rep:
?
thankyou!
Kerry_c
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Hiya,
I am going to apply through UCAS extra as i originally applied for Dietetics and recieved all 6 offers but i no longer want to do this degree.
Good luck if you decide to go through ucas extra.

Kerry
smurfride
Rep:
?
thanks , and you! I'm in the same sorta position, the course isn't what i was expecting lol! i change my mind all the time though, I'm so confused!
hailz202
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm also in the same position. Can't decide if i should to to Lancaster (course i love, department was really good, really want to go to uni this year), risk it and go through Extra, or take a gap year and do the whole thing again! (which i REALLY dont want to do!)
Angelicx1x
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
do the unis look at your personal statement when you apply through extra?
Kerry_c
Report 12 years ago
Yes they do but alot of people apply for different courses to what they originally applied for like i will be doing.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can send another PS directly to the uni though. You'll need to write a covering letter, and make sure it has your ucas number on
orbelina
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i remember looking at ucas extra last year and nearly every course at every uni still had places. There probarbly are going to be a few very popular courses that arent on extra, but it definately isnt just the not so good unis that have spare places.
hailz202
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i have emaild a few places about english language courses e.g. cardiff, liverpool etc and thyey all say they aren't even entering
Manellowzworth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To the OP, i suspect you wont get the likes of Durham and UCL- or their counterparts, in extra, or if there are a few spots they ll be swamped with apps..
discombobulation
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Most universities will tell you if they have places through Extra.
Obviously for courses like English/History at top universities you aren't gonna be too lucky
As far as I know Liverpool and Manchester are gonna have languages places available and combined studies courses always have spaces left
Lots of departments seem happy for you to e-mail them your personal statement also, when you send off your UCAS Extra application.
In my opinion it is completely worth the risk if you've made a big mistake, like I did and can't risk taking a gap year at this short notice.
I'd say do it, then again I'm still panicking!
lukeyboy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i'm wondering about edinburgh, as they say they have places still available on their site but their arent any listed on extra ? does that mean they are going to wait until clearing to fill the spaces.
englandloyalist
Report 12 years ago
I originally applied to Business Studies. I now want to do History so im going to do it through extra

good luck
bonnie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I originally applied for management

I have one offer, one rejection, and I'm still waiting to hear from the other unis.

The thing is, I changed my ming and now I think I want to a hindi joint degree with either management/economics/law

Do I have to wait for all the unis to reply to me before I can go through extra ? this could mean waiting until june :eek:

And if I can withdraw from everything, could someone please explain how you do it on track and once it's done, can you apply through extra straight away or do you have ot wait for a letter or something ?

Also, do you think it's gonna be very hard to get a place through extra ? I want SOAS

thank's everyone. please enlighten me
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You'll need to phone UCAS to withdraw from each uni
bonnie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
and one i've done that i can use extra straight away ?
kitsune
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
a)how this would affect my chances of getting in a half decent uni-as the admission tutors surely won't look upon it very favourably?

got rejected from my 6 choices for economics last year... applied through ucas extra at the end of April for Civil Engineering at Imperial and got an offer!!! However, the typical offer is ABB and I got an offer of A in Maths, A in Physics and B in Business

b)Is it likely to be only the not so good unis that have courses available?

last year... LSE, Bristol, Imperial, UCL, KCL, Notts and Bath had some courses in Extra!

c) is it possible to see what course are available through extra this year? if not when?

You'll be able to see them tomorrow midday

d)how many choices do you get?

Just one :p:
crum87
Report 12 years ago
It looks like the courses are already available to look at on the UCAS site-marked with an x?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?