The Student Room Group

Women's Shoe Shops-Size 9 and Upwards-A guide

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
tritogeneia1
Does anyone else find that some places expect you to have huge feet all oover when you're more than an 8? I can't do Evans because they assume your feet are wide,

could be cause evans is for... well..... the slightly larger lady [no offence meant to anyone] and a shop like that [and like topshop/newlook/etc] aren't going to stock widths, so they need shoes to fit their main users.
Yeah, I can see why they do it, it's just annoying when people constantly tell me to go to Evans, and when I was at school teachers sometimes assumed I could, for instance, buy men's trainers for PE, whereas in fact most of them were too big everywhere but the length. This would also be the problem, I imagine, with all those tranny sites you get when you search online...well, that and the 9 inch red patent leather spike heels that seem to predominate!

Hanzing- thanks for the tip about surf shops, will try to locate one!
Reply 22
Evans had flip flops a couple of years ago, that were great, and relatively cheap. And if they were a bit wide, it didn't matter too much, so I bought about 5 pairs, and I've still got a couple of pairs which have not been completely ruined! I suppose once you see shoes you like and that will last a couple of seasons fashion-wise, you just have to stock-up!
For ballet pumps, you could try Next, this page, but a 43 might be a bit of a squeeze if you're 9 and a half. Worth a try perhaps. Once Baratts get their Summer range in too, I imagine there would be ones.
Does anyone else feel a bit embarrased going into Evans? I always get the impression that their regular clientele are looking at me saying why is she in here! Oh well...lets hope things change for the better soon.
Incidentally, I've been out of the UK for a while, does anyone know if Topshop are doing nice size 9s this season?
Thanks tritogeneia1, I'll get those links up!:smile:
Great; thanks! I'm fine with Next size 9 actually, maybe my feet are smaller than I thought! :biggrin: Not small enough, sadly...I'd be thrilled if I could just be an 8, since that's what most shops go up to. I might try Evans for the flip flops too, as you said it doesn't really matter if they're wide.
Reply 24
New Barrats' shoes on the website tomorrow:wink:
Reply 25
The shops pee me off with the fact that they're still not prepared to cater for us. There so many girls that have above a size 8, especially now they are calling an 8 a 41 and a 9 a 42, I have always been a 9 (43) but now I am a 10 because 43s are always 10s nowerdays... the only place I buy proper heel shoes is Barrats, some of the tallgirls ones look nice but it is mail order and I can't be buying shoes I can't try on and having to send back and pay postage both ways when they are THAT expensive!
I tend to wear trainers a lot, Office do some nice Converse and other mens trainers that don't look like they are for men. I haven't bought new boots in absolutely years because I need to find some to fit and Barrats are beginning to get too small AHH! You can get a size blimmin 20 for clothes in so most shops but not a woman's 9 or a 10 shoe! Sucks doesn't it?!
Reply 26
It does. I actually got my first pair of boots last year from evans..I was so proud.. Ha
Reply 27
I know how you feel I didn't own anything remotely shoe like until way into my teens because we were allowed to wear trainers at school, good job because I would have struggled to find anything. I eventually found Hush Puppies but then they got too small! Then I went for Barrats. I had some really nice size 10 sandles from there a couple of years ago but I broke them by running after a plastic bag on the beach, it was so unsual to get something that fitted though that I got my dad to super glue them hehe! Thanks for that list, it is really useful to have all those shops in a row like that and its nice to know there are other people out there with larger feet!
Reply 28
zoea85
The shops pee me off with the fact that they're still not prepared to cater for us. There so many girls that have above a size 8, especially now they are calling an 8 a 41 and a 9 a 42, I have always been a 9 (43) but now I am a 10 because 43s are always 10s nowerdays... the only place I buy proper heel shoes is Barrats, some of the tallgirls ones look nice but it is mail order and I can't be buying shoes I can't try on and having to send back and pay postage both ways when they are THAT expensive!
I tend to wear trainers a lot, Office do some nice Converse and other mens trainers that don't look like they are for men. I haven't bought new boots in absolutely years because I need to find some to fit and Barrats are beginning to get too small AHH! You can get a size blimmin 20 for clothes in so most shops but not a woman's 9 or a 10 shoe! Sucks doesn't it?!

Well, they won't make them if there isn't demand, and currently there isn't demand as they don't make them! So if you feel strongly, write to all the shoe shops saying they should do your size. If enough people do they may listen!
Reply 29
Dolcis do a LIMITED selection of size 9s.. mostly just in ballet pump type shoes and some boots.
Reply 30
Baratts new website is online...looking good...:yy:
Reply 31
Oh yeah, Loving the silver ballet pumps for a tenner.
Reply 32
Wow, i am glad other girls have this problem, I always feel like I am on my own.

I saw someone saying its best to try stuff on, its so true, but i get embarrased when i ask for size 9s in shops and they never have them, its really demorralising!

Damn shoes :frown:
Oooh, cheap ballet pumps? Yay, am going to Barratts online right now!

I hate most shoe shops too, I always feel huge! Maybe I have too many small friends though, or that other irritating type of person who is as tolal as me or taller but has smaller feet (I think 5'9" should only merit an 8 at the most!). I really hate it when they tell you that thy only have 'classic' styles (for which read flat granny shoes) in size 9. Talk about demand - oretty much all the people I've come across with size 9+ are young and don't want to wear boring granny shoes, so where do they get the idea that there is a demand for large 'sensible' footwear? How many old ladies do you see who are 5'9" plus, compared to teenagers and 20somethings? Grrr rant rant...
Reply 34
tritogeneia1
Talk about demand - oretty much all the people I've come across with size 9+ are young and don't want to wear boring granny shoes, so where do they get the idea that there is a demand for large 'sensible' footwear? How many old ladies do you see who are 5'9" plus, compared to teenagers and 20somethings? Grrr rant rant...

They don't make pretty ones, so people have to buy the horrible ones. Hence there is demand for horrible ones, but not for pretty ones!
Ah, the old paradox. To hell with them all!!
Reply 36
Although I understand the principle of the whole supply and demand thing, I cannot find one survey in Britain which gives the average UK woman's shoe size, where do manufacturers get their information from? Also, there must be more woman with size 9 plus feet than woman who are pregnant at any one time, so why can you find maternity ranges everywhere in clothes shops, but are resigned to spending hours trawling the internet for a decent pair of shoes?:mad:
And why, as someone said, can you find clothes size 20 in so many high street shops, but not size 9 shoes? Is being size 20 really so much more common than having large feet?
Apparently part of the reason, though is the lathe/form/whatever that they make it on; these tend to come as standard in size 5ish and they extend it down to 3 and up to 8, but no further, and they probably don't think it's worth their while to get a bigger or smaller one to accommodate more sizes. I could be wrong about this, but heard it somewhere.
Reply 38
Hi guys :smile:
Came across this shop: Deichmann the other day when in Croydon. they have cheap pumps and sandles and high heels around £15 which are good quality! and the best bit is they have a large choice of shoes in sizes 9 and 10! If you can find one of these shops, just look around the store and any shoe box with an XXL sticker on the side is a size 9 or 10! love it :smile:
Am wearing my new size 9 shoes at the minute! £15 what a bargain :wink:
Hope this helps, i hate having long and thin feet!
Dunno if this will help anyone, but my fiancee used to have trouble finding shoes, she has US size 12 feet which is a UK 10 I believe. She buys all her shoes from Zappos.com and they have so much choice in her size. I don't know if they do international delivery but if you have friends/family in the US you can get them to send them over for you as they have a 365 day return policy.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest