Might be a really dumb question but... Watch

Katia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It’s just a Turkish (I think) Water Bong/Pipe. Coal is used on the top to heat it and make it bubble and such. And you can get different flavours. It’s not Opium or anything; I think it’s just like flavoured tobacco. Me and some friends used to do it a lot, there's about 4 cafes in Leeds. It's just a way to chill out, not a lot of people knew about it either. Was better before all the li'l noobs at the Corn Ex. caught on about it. Anyhoo's, it's not really addicitive, not like Crack is (not that i do crack or ever have :p:). Maybe he thinks he's "cool" for doing it. Just leave him too it. It isn't very dangerous, as far as I know.
Lauren Hart
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
havent read it all, but if he says he needs it, doesnt sound so good to me. you might want to evaluate where the relationships heading etc etc. how much you're willing to comprimise with each other. You have to be comfortable with him doing it or it's likely to cause problems.

And any drug is unhealthy if you take too much/too often.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its just flavoured tabacco come on, its really not a big deal, its not even illegal.
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by clueless101)
Yeah its a habit that originated from the middle east.

I've tried it on several occasions and found it to be nothing like cigarettes. I haven't become addicted to it nor do I get a head rush when I smoke it.

It doesn't necessarily have tobacco in it- my friend puts coconut in it, and smokes that when it burns.
It gives me a real headrush and a kind of 'stoned' feeling.. but then I think you only get that if its been done properly.. my friends are kind of pros at shisha though so always make sure you get good smoke and stuff.

I dont think theres anything wrong with it, people have been doing it for centuries and its a nice thing just to have passing between you while hanging out with friends. I dont do it that often, maybe like once every few weeks or something.
Pandy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Shisha is nice.
The Orientalist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's part of Turkish culture, they smoke it in their "bars". It's not strong (compared to other "common drugs") and you gotta be pretty weak to get addicted to it.
strawberry
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
oh okay. well, I know some people are like "he's your ex, why are you still bothering about him?". I still bother about him because we're still friends, we still love each other.

if shisha isn't so bad, then I wouldn't mind. I'm just worried about his health.
maski
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by King Leigh)
He mentioned it to his girlfriend a couple of times. I presume they spend quite a lot of time together, so it doesn't sound like "such an effort" to me.
Trying to play cool and subtly drop in that you do it on a forum not just read by one person you're close to, but many many strangers on the other hand....

Ironic.

ive done it a few times but i dont even do it when im with friends that do it....dude there are way more people on this forum that smoke, drink and do various other drugs. im personally not exactly for those things (drinking might be a slight exception) so y should i show off? ok fine so maybe i shouldnt have made that assumption...then you shouldnt have assumed something about me either!
DestinedMalice
Report 12 years ago
The thing with shesha is that it's like weed not in the physical health department but in the mental health departmen.

People become accustomed to smoking shesha just like weed thiking it's not really that bad and that's it's not as bad as smoking something like cigs or gettin pissed all day.

But the truth of the matter is that any smoking is bad for you.
pugnacious
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh dear some people are exceptionally misinformed. Lets break it down simply,

Sheesha = smoking flavoured tobacco through a pipe/ bong.

Flavoured tobacco that does not contain a high level of nicotine (if at all)

Flavoured tobacco that has a low tar content as compared with cigarettes.

Sheesha is significantly less addictive than cigarettes, there is no real physical addiction.

Sheesha is not at all like weed, it does not have any of the side effects associated with cannabis use, apart from arguably making you feel relaxed (which I personally feel is relatively psycological)

Sheesha is not something that is in essence designed to be smoked frequently (as frequently as cigarettes per say), due to the elaborate set up, therefore unless your boyfriend is smoking it by himself every day, it is exceptionally unlikely to have any long term health risks (bearing in mind that it is unlikely to be a habit that will continue as he grows older).

Your ex- boyfriend is an idiot if he says that he "needs" sheesha.

Do not be worried about the sheesha smoke that is going into his body, be more worried about his mental health if he feels that he is dependant upon sheesha.

peace

edit: also sheesha is less widespread than you would think, particularly as you move further north and away from the larger cities. I doubt that the majority of my friends are aware of it. Especially in areas of low muslim populations.
Angel Interceptor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pugnacious)
oh dear some people are exceptionally misinformed. Lets break it down simply,

Sheesha = smoking flavoured tobacco through a pipe/ bong.

Flavoured tobacco that does not contain a high level of nicotine (if at all)

Flavoured tobacco that has a low tar content as compared with cigarettes.

Sheesha is significantly less addictive than cigarettes, there is no real physical addiction.

Sheesha is not at all like weed, it does not have any of the side effects associated with cannabis use, apart from arguably making you feel relaxed (which I personally feel is relatively psycological)

Sheesha is not something that is in essence designed to be smoked frequently (as frequently as cigarettes per say), due to the elaborate set up, therefore unless your boyfriend is smoking it by himself every day, it is exceptionally unlikely to have any long term health risks (bearing in mind that it is unlikely to be a habit that will continue as he grows older).

Your ex- boyfriend is an idiot if he says that he "needs" sheesha.

Do not be worried about the sheesha smoke that is going into his body, be more worried about his mental health if he feels that he is dependant upon sheesha.

peace

edit: also sheesha is less widespread than you would think, particularly as you move further north and away from the larger cities. I doubt that the majority of my friends are aware of it. Especially in areas of low muslim populations.
:dito: Well said mate - some people are such numpties when it comes to this stuff.
DestinedMalice
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pugnacious)

But that's exactly what I was saying when I mentioned it's link to weed...:confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
27%
No (695)
73%

Watched Threads