help - withdrawing... Watch

hannahg
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
hello -
i was just wondering if i could have some advice from some people cos I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I have applied to do English next year. I've been rejected from Oxford and Durham and have 3 offers so far from manch, notts and birmingham. the thing is, im a bit of a loss as to where to go now. i know the 3 offers i have are really good and I'd probably have a great time there but im thinkng of withdrawing my application. I always wanted to go to Oxbridge so i just blindly worked towards that and enlgish was my best subject so i didnt even consider anything else. But now I'm taking five Alevels inc generals, and faced with a university course that im not really sure i want to do, at universities that i'm not sure about. Do you think its worth taking a year out to sort out what i want to do, or should i just go for one of the ones i have? It makes me cross that ive fallen into the stupid oxbridge trap because i know its not the be all and end all by any stretch, but not getting into the places i wanted makes me wonder what i want to do at all... hope tht makes sense!
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Taking a gap year is a big decision, but going to a uni you dont really want to is a big mistake.

The big question is, would you still get into Oxbridge if you tried next year?

What would you do with your gap year?

Im worried that a Durham rejection on top of your Oxford Rejection, probably would mean a "no"
AltitudeSickness
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hannahg)
hello -
i was just wondering if i could have some advice from some people cos I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I have applied to do English next year. I've been rejected from Oxford and Durham and have 3 offers so far from manch, notts and birmingham. the thing is, im a bit of a loss as to where to go now. i know the 3 offers i have are really good and I'd probably have a great time there but im thinkng of withdrawing my application. I always wanted to go to Oxbridge so i just blindly worked towards that and enlgish was my best subject so i didnt even consider anything else. But now I'm taking five Alevels inc generals, and faced with a university course that im not really sure i want to do, at universities that i'm not sure about. Do you think its worth taking a year out to sort out what i want to do, or should i just go for one of the ones i have? It makes me cross that ive fallen into the stupid oxbridge trap because i know its not the be all and end all by any stretch, but not getting into the places i wanted makes me wonder what i want to do at all... hope tht makes sense!
Hey, you should have posted on the Oxbridge part of TSR because there are people in the same position as you who post on there all the time. You should really talk to your guardian/parents before you do anything and maybe also to your (English) teacher. Whatever you do, it's a big decision and you need to make sure you have your family's support. There's lots of stuff I could suggest but go to the Oxbridge section and post there... I guarantee you'll get loads of feedback, not just from me!
Manellowzworth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Talk to Rachel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Do you have any savings?