The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Economics doesn't require Maths!?

post removed
(edited 12 years ago)
I have a dual offer for BSc Economics with a Study Abroad year. The offer is AAA (with Maths) or AAB for the L100 normal course, as far as I'm aware Maths isn't included in my offer conditions for Economics without study abroad.

I'm not sure about IB, I think to give yourself the best chance it's generally assumed going to Oxbridge / LSE / UCL is the only option. Some people have told me it's near impossible to compete without a degree from such places, but a past pupil of ours is an Investment Banker in Australia at the moment, and was an Economics graduate from Lancaster a couple of years ago :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
It doesn't require it but my housemate studies straight economics but didn't do A level maths at all. Let's put it this way it's a major disadvantage. Just because it doesn't ask for it doesn't mean that it's not required.
Reply 3
The way Lancaster's first year works is that you take majors and minors in your first year. Thus it sort of enables the university to allow people who aren't up to scratch in the maths department to switich to another degree. It might be good for you because it would give you the chance to find out if you are good enough mathamatically. Also, in terms of banking/accountancy jobs, we've had various companies such as Deloitte walking round campus trying to get people to sign up to internships, so I think there are good industrial links here (due to the strength of the management school) and that might also work in your favour.
Reply 4
If you study Economics without having A Level maths you'll be given extra maths lectures to bring you up to speed in first year, and occasionally optional lectures will be compulsory for you, at least that was the only difference I was aware of (I did maths), there is plenty of maths in the course, hence it switching from a BA to a BSc a few years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending