The Student Room Group

"Never mind them dead people - let's nick summat"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-17352008

OK, so nobody died or was seriously injured but some of the passengers did get taken to hospital because of their injuries. The idea that these repugnant chavs can just ignore other people's distress and think only about stealing anything they can find utterly appals me.

Was I just born too soon? Is this what passes for acceptable behaviour in Britain nowadays? Or is it just Coventry where it's normal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Fairly sure the vast majority of people would say it is not acceptable. I doubt it's normal, even in Coventry.
I guess we are starting to see extreme signs of self interest. I wish people would just lighten up and realise there is more to life than material gains but not any time soon.
Do you honestly care about the well being of complete strangers?
Reply 4
Original post by Student00009
Do you honestly care about the well being of complete strangers?

Yes
They saw the opportunity and they took it—such an ethos was also witnessed in the August 2011 riots.
Disgusting animalistic behaviour.
Reply 7
Tbh a pawn broker in a poor area isn't exactly the pillar of the community, it's fairly exploitative.
Reply 8
I assumed this was Karl Pilkington telling the wide world about one of his stories.
Original post by Bonged.
Tbh a pawn broker in a poor area isn't exactly the pillar of the community, it's fairly exploitative.

Or helpful. It provides them with a quick source money that they evidently need urgently.
Reply 10
Original post by whyumadtho
Or helpful. It provides them with a quick source money that they evidently need urgently.

We can but hope. More likely it provides money for hard drugs.
Original post by Bonged.
We can but hope. More likely it provides money for hard drugs.
That's the person's own problem, not the pawn broker's. If they are addicted to something they would find other avenues to convert their possessions into cash in the absence of local pawn brokers.
Reply 12
That's the person's own problem, not the pawn broker's. If they are addicted to something they would find other avenues to convert their possessions into cash in the absence of local pawn brokers.

Thank you for that definitive ruling, please go out and inform your local junkies.
Ha i live in Coventry and saw the aftermath of the crash. It is disgusting behavior by these people but i can't say, having lived here, that i'm all together surprised. Just like most cities Cov has it's rougher areas with rougher people. I have friends here who have had fireworks thrown at them, been mugged or girls who have been chased by groups of men in cars. That being said Cov does have it's nicer areas and this is in no way typical behavior of people from here!
It's disgusting.
Reply 15
The looters didn't cause the bus to crash... They just exploited an opportunity, can't see how it's morally worse than what bankers get up to. Why's it ok to 'trample' someone in a different city by stealing their pension to enrich yourself but wrong if it's someone on the same street. Thatcherism in action :colone:
Reply 16
"One gentleman shoved me out the way... not in the rush to help the people which you'd think would be their reaction." Really? Gentleman?
Original post by Bonged.
Thank you for that definitive ruling, please go out and inform your local junkies.

I still don't understand why pawn brokers, per se, are exploitative.
Reply 18
I still don't understand why pawn brokers, per se, are exploitative.

my own observation of the clientele at there places leads me to also conclude that de facto they are...
Original post by Joinedup
my own observation of the clientele at there places leads me to also conclude that de facto they are...

But it gives them the money they desperately need to rectify whatever financial problem they have. I don't see how having a stockpile of goods instead of tangible cash is beneficial when tangible cash is what is needed. Out of their own volition, people go to these places to convert their goods into money; they're quicker and more convenient than eBay or holding a car boot sale, for example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending