The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Getting upset with the lack of English-speaking people in England.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by AverageExcellence
Thats their interpretation on what practicing it is and a very warped one at that, thats not the overwhelming majority of the islamic community agree it is. Theres no logic or relevence of you trying to compare the two in relation to what i said

p.s: nice try though

lol, and who said the majority of those in the in the African American civil movement agreed with the Black Panthers actions? You are manipulating your for your be words for the benefit of your points.

I could say the same thing in your words, that the Black Panthers "their interpretation on what practicing it is and a very warped one" and goes against those in the African-American Civil Movement.
Reply 181
But the majority of immigrants living here do speak English. In fact, 95%+ of the country speaks English only.

What happens is that when immigrants have children, their children assimilate and learn English and their mother tongue. When they have children, their children don't bother learning their grandparents language but just speak English. That's always happened in Britain, always will. People assimilate, it just takes generations.

I agree that people who live her for years and don't speak English are idiots. But to get anywhere in this country, you have to be a proficient English speaker, whether to get a job, make many friends, go to university etc. People who don't learn English stay at the bottom, and so there really is no better incentive to learn English.
Reply 182
Original post by Zelex
My point is that the symbol is not racist. It symbolises strenght, unity and gave people hope. I have Afro-combs with the symbol which can be bought anywhere in London, why haven't they been banned? I would say it maybe controversial but definitley not racist.

What exactly is White Power, what does it symbolise?

White power and black power are non-existent. Stupid ideas based on stupid concepts of colour. And those who believe being darker or lighter makes them special or part of some secret underground brotherhood with similarly toned people generally have a screw loose.
Reply 183
Original post by navarre
White power and black power are non-existent. Stupid ideas based on stupid concepts of colour. And those who believe being darker or lighter makes them special or part of some secret underground brotherhood with similarly toned people generally have a screw loose.

lol, I agree
Original post by Zelex
lol, and who said the majority of those in the in the African American civil movement agreed with the Black Panthers actions? You are manipulating your for your be words for the benefit of your points.

I could say the same thing in your words, that the Black Panthers "their interpretation on what practicing it is and a very warped one" and goes against those in the African-American Civil Movement.

It is completely nonsensical to compare muslims and terrorists to people who preach a set of principles and a party that practices those principles.

Ive said that the black panther party was merely an example thats not the fabric of my argument. The fact that black supremacy movements actively endorse the black first casts a racist sentiment over it. That should be obvious
Original post by Zelex
My point is that the symbol is not racist. It symbolises strenght, unity and gave people hope. I have Afro-combs with the symbol which can be bought anywhere in London, why haven't they been banned? I would say it maybe controversial but definitley not racist.

What exactly is White Power, what does it symbolise?

We probably wont be able to persuade eachother differently, i respect your opinion on it but ive been led to believe differently. Perhaps we should make a thread on this particular issue.

And please dont misunderstand im not defending white power or any of that stuff. I think its ridiculous as much as most
Reply 186
It is completely nonsensical to compare muslims and terrorists to people who preach a set of principles and a party that practices those principles.

Ive said that the black panther party was merely an example thats not the fabric of my argument. The fact that black supremacy movements actively endorse the black first casts a racist sentiment over it. That should be obvious

I have alreasy mentioned above, yes it is controversial, however there is more to the symbol than just "Black Supremacy". This is why I refute your claim, that it is racist to have this symbol. As I mentioned I have Afro-combs, with this symbol that can be bought anywhere. Why have they not been banned? It is because in the eyes of the majority it is not seen as some racial superiority movement.
Reply 187
We probably wont be able to persuade eachother differently, i respect your opinion on it but ive been led to believe differently. Perhaps we should make a thread on this particular issue.

And please dont misunderstand im not defending white power or any of that stuff. I think its ridiculous as much as most

It is fine, I think this debate has run its course anyway, I also understand your sentiments behind the issue. Its very complex topic indeed.lol
Never in my life did I think a post like this on TSR would have so much positive rep!
Original post by David Markham
Never in my life did I think a post like this on TSR would have so much positive rep!

It's disgusting.
Original post by rockrunride
You've got interracial law,
The Muslamic infidel
They're trying to get their law
Over our country

And it's happening it is happening
It's happening in other countries
It's happening in every countries like
Like you've got you've got

You've got Muslamic ray guns
Ray guns ray guns!

Tuneage :awesome:

In all fairness the guy who's interview made that meme up actually said "Muslamic rape gangs" and although he's clearly an idiot, the issue of a small minority of Asian(mainly Pakistani) men being involved in grooming teenage girls is a serious concern.

Anyway OP most people you hear speaking in a foreign tongue will also be able to speak English fine, they just choose to use their 1st language. After all say I moved to China, I would try and learn Chinese, but when I'm with my own family/friends, we're pretty obviously going to speak English to each other.
People said I was racist for this, including a nurse who my mum heard bitching about me at the time, but about 2 years ago I was in A&E and requested another doctor because I didn't think the one who was examining me spoke English to a satisfactory standard. I wasn't bitchy about it, I didn't go about it like 'Mate, learn my language' I simply said 'I'm sorry, but I'm struggling to understand you and therefore I can't be sure that you are understanding me, so can I please see another doctor?'.
I was having chest pains, it was pretty serious that I was understood and seen to ASAP.

I think people should learn the language of a country they are going to live in, especially if you have to interact with people in a way that may determine whether they live or die (my chest pain turned out to be muscular, but it could have been much more serious than it was and the delay while both of us had to repeat ourselves several times because of his unsatisfactory English could have killed me if it was)! It annoys me when shopkeepers etc. don't speak English very well, but that's not really that serious, it just means that sometimes my trip to the corner shop takes twice as long (asking 'How much is this?' 4 times before you get a coherent answer).
Reply 192
I am seriously interested in where some of you guys are living/based in the UK. In my entire life, I've never had communication problems with shopkeepers etc in London.
Reply 193
Original post by Anonymous
It doesn't feel like England is actually English any more. At least not in certain cities. I'm surrounded by so many people who don't speak English, it feels like I'm a tourist in my own country. It makes me feel awkward and uneasy. I don't know what they are saying, nor why so many Europeans insist on shouting at each other, whilst the Asians shout at people on their phones. So many people come here and don't make the effort to integrate at all with our society, so subsequently it's getting washed out. England does have a culture, and people who come here should embrace it, not smother it with their cultures from other countries. It's not un-PC to reserve Englishness!

I hate going into a shop and not being understood. I'm English! If you have a job where you are working in England and speaking to English people then you should know English! Why can people like that get jobs when so many of our own can't get them - and no it's not laziness.

It's just really making me upset. I hate the people on here who complain about how **** England is, and have their flags as India or Ghana, but they would never actually live there. If you're English, you're English. If you hate this country, you can piss off.

Unfortunately anonymous because this is spurred on by my girlfriend and her family who keep insisting that I should learn their language. No, you're in England, you learn English!

What a moron. Everyone has the freedom of expression. Who do you think you are telling people to learn to speak English? The fact is, they are residing here legally and hence enjoy all the fundamental rights as an Englishmen. You can't go around imposing the obligation to speak English....as long as they don't tell you to speak their language, i don't think you have much to complain. If a shopkeeper doesn't speak English, you should piss off from there. You have the freedom to go to any other shop.
Reply 194
Original post by minimarshmallow

I think people should learn the language of a country they are going to live in, especially if you have to interact with people in a way that may determine whether they live or die (my chest pain turned out to be muscular, but it could have been much more serious than it was and the delay while both of us had to repeat ourselves several times because of his unsatisfactory English could have killed me if it was)! It annoys me when shopkeepers etc. don't speak English very well, but that's not really that serious, it just means that sometimes my trip to the corner shop takes twice as long (asking 'How much is this?' 4 times before you get a coherent answer).

You have the freedom to go other shops. Or you can open up your own shop.
Original post by Playa10
You have the freedom to go other shops. Or you can open up your own shop.

Not always, when its the only one open within walking distance of an evening. And I did say it was annoying, but not a serious problem.
Original post by David Markham

There is a lot of hysteria about, among some genuine concerns. There is polarisation in people's views. I think people are concerned and lost...we don't know what to think. Everybody is trying to find a cornerstone which defines our society and the people in it as one.

That's my pretentious rant for the week :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 197
Original post by misswilliams
You know what I really hate is the British (English isn't really appropriate) culture. I hate the way a majority of British people see people of different cultures taking away their right and identity to be British. Because it doesn't really.

Racist views like 'they' are taking our jobs, 'they' should speak out language and 'they' should go back where they belong is awful, ignorant and unfounded.

And the worst thing is most of 'they' are British. Most of the time these people were actually born in Britian and were raised being able to speak another language, which I applaud. 'They' have their own culture and customs which should be celebrated. Not their fault Britain's culture is... er what is it? And how is it being taken away exactly?

Why do you hate British culture? Are you racist? I ask because if I said that I hated African/Asian/Hispanic culture I'd immediately be interrogated by the pro multicultural PC brigade for my questionable views.

I don't see the problem with asking immigrants to learn the language of the country they want to adopt as their homeland. Any sensible immigration policy would make this a requirement as without these basic literacy skills immigrants have little chance of obtaining a job thus ending up on welfare, causing unnecessary resentment among the host (taxpaying) population. Immigration is a two way street, in return for the opportunity to benefit from a culture and an infrastructure that is envied across the world it's not unreasonable to expect foreign nationals to understand and integrate into our way of life. If they're not willing to do this then quite frankly we don't really need them here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by chefdave
Why do you hate British culture? Are you racist? I ask because if I said that I hated African/Asian/Hispanic culture I'd immediately be interrogated by the pro multicultural PC brigade for my questionable views.

I don't see the problem with asking immigrants to learn the language of the country they want to adopt as their homeland. Any sensible immigration policy would make this a requirement as without such basic literacy skills immigrants have little chance of obtaining a job thus ending up on welfare, causing unnecessary resentment among the host (taxpaying) population. Immigration is a two way street, in return for the opportunity to benefit from a culture and an infrastructure that is envied across the world it's not unreasonable to expect foreign nationals to understand and integrate into our way of living. If they're not willing to do this then quite frankly we don't really need them here.

Don't waste your time arguing with brain-dead leftists. No matter how rational and sensible your arguments are all you'll get in reply is:

'WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYCIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'
Reply 199
Original post by hughcapet
Don't waste your time arguing with brain-dead leftists. No matter how rational and sensible your arguments are all you'll get in reply is:

'WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYCIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Hehe, very true. Sadly I feel obliged to point out the racist nature of anti-British sentiment to help lefties come to terms with their double standards, but as a libertarian I'd prefer an environment where we could frankly discuss the pros and cons of all cultures without the need for silly name calling.

Latest