The Student Room Group

where to go for first date? tell me ur dream-first-date!!

Scroll to see replies

Take her here

Also known as North Wales Hospital. It is an abandoned mental asylum in Denbighshire, Wales

Here is a picture from the inside

You could take a walk through the electroconvulsive therapy room whilst reflecting on the times of institutionalisation of mental illness and the commonplace of lobotomies.

She'll be putty in your hands.

No need to thank me.
Reply 61
Keep it simple. Coffee and a walk somewhere pretty, or a not too expensive dinner and drinks somewhere quiet enough to chat. :smile:
I'd always love to go to a theme park for a first date, I doubt this will happen seeing as I live nowhere near a theme park... handy if you do I suppose. :colondollar:
Otherwise, I agree with the whole cinema thing, they tend to be quite awkward! Just go for something to eat or even just a walk :smile:
First date (or this perhaps isn't a date).. In my opinion this is what I would do. Seen as your both at Uni and you obviously go out a lot suggest that her mates and your mates go out together as a group for a couple of drinks in town or something (make a night of it). The conversation will always be flowing as there are a lot of you and everyone will be bouncing off everyone. This will allow you to find out what her interests are and what she likes doing, through group discussion. So when you eventually go on your next date (if this is successful) you can chat all night.. for example: 'woahh I was off my tits last night' etc.

By the way, if you wake up the next morning and shes asleep next to you.. this could get awkward.
Reply 64
Original post by I<3LAMP
My first date with my current bf involved walking around in the rain in pretty greenery and awkward snogging in a disused bus shelter that tramps sleep in.

First date with the ex involved drunken fumbling in a club and holding hands in Soho.

Do whatever feels natural tbh but I agree. NO TO CINEMA. You spend most of it in silence and don't know what to do with your hands.

Of course, it's a cinema. The reason is so you have a good topic to discuss afterwards. And just keep your hands where they'd normally be.
Original post by Palatial Veranda
Take her here

Also known as North Wales Hospital. It is an abandoned mental asylum in Denbighshire, Wales

Here is a picture from the inside

You could take a walk through the electroconvulsive therapy room whilst reflecting on the times of institutionalisation of mental illness and the commonplace of lobotomies.

She'll be putty in your hands.

No need to thank me.

Wow that date would be heck awesome!
Original post by arbaaz
Really? I'm surprised! I would have thought that the cinema is the best place to go for a first date and then you could go for a bite to eat after. The reason being is because on first dates there is generally loads of awkward moments like akward silences but if you watch a movie then then go for a bite to eat then you can talk about the movie while you eat so you have something to say during those silences. I always thought the cinema was a win win situation. Plus while you are in the cinema you can think of stuff to say after rather than sitting in a cafe and having nothing to say or running out of something to say.
But yeah you always have to go for a bite out to eat afterwards otherwise it would be kinda pointless seeing as you wouldn't be able to talk and get to know each other.

With regards to what to do when the movie is on, I'd advise from putting your arm around a girl if it's your first date. If it's your first date then you barely know the girl, and she doesn't know you and so it feels a bit like your invading personal space. The only exception to this is if you have been close friends for a while prior to dating. Same applies for holding the hand. In most cases in a cinema it would look weird unless your close or you have been dating for ages. When the movie is playing don't talk to her, it's annoying and a pet peeve of mine. I mean why bother going to the cinema if you can't watch the film without being distracted. Talk in the interval all you want but yeah never during the movie. Only exception is if you are choking on popcorn and need CPR :tongue:

The interval? What decade is this??
Original post by Arturo Bandini

loool.. maybe they were talking about bollywood movies? or like the theatre or something.
The cafe or a walk in the park if it's a nice day or even go for a drink somewhere if it'll calm the nerves or even bowling would be good.
Reply 69
Original post by Anonymous
hi i am 18 year old guy in my first year in uni. i have kind of never been in a relationship before, never really feel like i need to but i recently find a girl which i quite like her, but anyway, i am thinking of asking her out but i am not entirely sure what i should say and do.

i got her number ages ago and we are friends anyway, and i know she got a crush on me. but i dont really know her that well, but she is quite cute and interesting. but people do say first date is very important, so i want to make sure this goes well. anyway where do ppl go for their first dates? a casual lunch or a coffee in a cafe? or a film in a theatre? or just keep it simple and meet up in ie my flat

it is definitely not that i m not comfortable with girls, but i have never really just go and do something with only one girl, unless we are extreme good friends or i m a bit drunk...

so any suggestions? theatre? cafe? or lunch?

Café or pub: get to know her properly, and show that you can hold her attention. Cinemas are an ever-dependable refuge for the insecure and socially-inept.
Original post by I<3LAMP
My first date with my current bf involved walking around in the rain in pretty greenery and awkward snogging in a disused bus shelter that tramps sleep in.

First date with the ex involved drunken fumbling in a club and holding hands in Soho.

Do whatever feels natural tbh but I agree. NO TO CINEMA. You spend most of it in silence and don't know what to do with your hands.

Eating popcorn. Sorted.
Reply 71
where ever you go, make sure you think of topics of conversation.. if she doesnt say much.. you are doomed for a time of social awkwardness.

took this girl to the car wash the other day, made her do some hoovering. unique place..

smartLAD
Reply 72
Nandos!
In the shire, women are attracted to hobbits with hairy feet.
For a drink in a pub? Coffee in a cafe? A walk in the park? Depends what you're into really.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Coffee is a good plan, if you're close already dinner is a nice 'definite' first date but again can be expensive and awkward if you don't know her that well.

Worst first date I ever had was echoed on here, cinema - he spent the entire time whispering in my ear about how hot Cameron Diaz was and the time in the pub after boring me with a definition of tort law :lolwut: Second worst was when he invited me over to his and cooked for me... peppered grilling steak... I don't like peppery things and whilst I love steak it was the wrong kind for frying and ended up really tough (doubly so as he didn't eat anything less than well done :/ should've got out of there when he said that tbh). He also plonked it on the plate with a few lettuce leaves and went 'hey, girls love salad right?' :erm:

Would both of those be worse than the guy turning up and asking where everyone else was as he'd assumed it was a group thing as friends :tongue:. there's definitely no way I did this btw :ninja:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
Eating popcorn. Sorted.

Good point!
We'll what do you know about this girl? You said you were friends right, so why not take her to a place she cares about?

Most people have an interest of some kind...plus if you chill out, take her to a place she'll feel comfortable in it's likely to have a better outcome. You also gain man points for 'thinking about' her...trust me I'm a chick I know these things :biggrin:

BOOOMMM date ninja!!!!
Original post by arbaaz
For a first date, I'd actually suggest the cinema ... you can watch a nice movie.. avoid scary or romantic ones, comedy films are perfect for first dates then go for a bite to eat after and if there are any akward silences then talk about the movie, which is where going to the cinema comes in handy!

However in my perfect date, we'd for a long walk, then have a picnic!

Meh if a girl isn't up for a good horror film on the first date, she's not worth it :p:
Original post by Arturo Bandini

I've been to cinemas in the UK adn Germany with intervals in the middle of the film :shrug: I kinda like it... :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending