This discussion is closed.
jozef161
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi everyone.

This summer I am sitting AS level russian exam + oral part as an external candidate at a different college, as the exam centre at my college does not provide Russian language examination.

To cut the long story short, my mother is Russian but despite that my language skills are FAR as good as they should be, however, i still consider having an extreme advantage compared to non-native speakers. I come from Slovakia and that is also where my parents' live and where my father comes from, I only came to study to england last year and am currently doing AS level course.

To the point, I want to know how hard the AS Russian exam is and what do i have to learn for the exam. Is there are any specific topic/area I have to read about ? How long the essays in the exam are supposed to be ? What textbooks are useful to have read ? etc.

I would much appreciate if you helped me out here, thank you.
Jed_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jozef161)
Hi everyone.

This summer I am sitting AS level russian exam + oral part as an external candidate at a different college, as the exam centre at my college does not provide Russian language examination.

To cut the long story short, my mother is Russian but despite that my language skills are FAR as good as they should be, however, i still consider having an extreme advantage compared to non-native speakers. I come from Slovakia and that is also where my parents' live and where my father comes from, I only came to study to england last year and am currently doing AS level course.

To the point, I want to know how hard the AS Russian exam is and what do i have to learn for the exam. Is there are any specific topic/area I have to read about ? How long the essays in the exam are supposed to be ? What textbooks are useful to have read ? etc.

I envy you! I have wanted to do Russian for ages but schools typically dont provide the course. I would say if you are a native speaker you should find it easy. that is why they offer different examinations for native speakers sometimes. You will probably find the questions really basic and you only danger will probably be going off topic or something.
Historophilia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Do you know which exam board you will be taking the exam from?

If not, find out and look up past papers, specifications and the like on their website.
jozef161
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jed_)
I envy you! I have wanted to do Russian for ages but schools typically dont provide the course. I would say if you are a native speaker you should find it easy. that is why they offer different examinations for native speakers sometimes. You will probably find the questions really basic and you only danger will probably be going off topic or something.
Yes, thats what im worried about, off topic questions.
jozef161
Rep:
?
(Original post by Historophilia)

If not, find out and look up past papers, specifications and the like on their website.
It is edexcel, only they provide Russian.

However, there is no pastpapers on their website, no assessment materials for the course, no textbooks recommended, no specifications, simply -> nothing. It is probably because its a rare language and not many students study it.

I tried to find pastpapers but unsuccessfully.
Jed_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Historophilia)

thats probably the best idea, it will show you most accurately. On most courses is there not a coursework side which you would find hard to do without taking it at school. this is what stopped me doing it.
Saoirse:3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, it's because Edexcel is a private company who's job isn't to help you but to make money, so they'd much rather the school bought textbooks, past papers etc. You can try here though: http://www.freeexampapers.com/
Historophilia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It is edexcel, only they provide Russian.

However, there is no pastpapers on their website, no assessment materials for the course, no textbooks recommended, no specifications, simply -> nothing. It is probably because its a rare language and not many students study it.

I tried to find pastpapers but unsuccessfully.
Well I managed to find stuff...

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce...s/default.aspx

And there are lots of past papers there...
jozef161
Rep:
?
Thank you )
CupiditasMetam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey guys, about the exams, am I not required to do some sort of a coursework for it, or have like some written essays coming into the exams?
I've heard someone mention that I would need something like that, or is it not the case, and all the work is done within the examining time?
sgrigoras
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi everyone.

Hi,

where did you do your exam? I mean at what exam centre?
jozef161
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by sgrigoras)
Hi,

where did you do your exam? I mean at what exam centre?
Oxford Girls' High School (im a male)
victorialexandra
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Russian A S should be very easy as English students are very bad at Russian and the grades they actually get are quite good, I did Russian at University and none of the sudents could speak it after 4 years ( except the slavs .) You'll get over 80% I suspect
ijamess
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am doing a Russian course at university (lasting only one semester) after having never spoken Russian in my life even at uni it is the most basic things. I sat a midterm for it and it was simple enough - I'd check the specification for the exam board though as it will list exactly what they can ask you.
marinavantara
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
HI
I have just come across your question by accident.
I am a Russian teacher and give private Russian lessons in London, including GCSE and A-level preparation. If you a native Russian speaker, the language part is going to be really easy for you. However, there are parts of the exam that need preparation just to make you confident of what to say/write, such as research based essay and discussion. Also, a good knowledge of English is required because there is a paper asking you to translate from English to Russian. For more info, please see EDEXEL website. Also, there are plenty of Russian speakers living in Bristol and The Bristol University offers Russian Studies.
My name is Marina Vantara. You may google me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (75)
15.18%
Uncertainty around my education (82)
16.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (45)
9.11%
Isolating with family (32)
6.48%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (21)
4.25%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (40)
8.1%
Loneliness (48)
9.72%
Financial worries (18)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (49)
9.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.88%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (50)
10.12%

Watched Threads