Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb_sweden)
    Does the set of all sets, that are not members of themselves, contain itself?

It's called Russell's paradox.

Think about it.

If it does contain itself, it's a member of itself, and thus not part of itself.

If it does not contain itself, it's not a member of itself, and thus part of itself.

Kinda like politics. Or TSR-discussions on which subject is the better.
    This sounds interesting. Simplify it word yo.

"and thus part ofitself" I dont get those conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    A set either contains itself, or it doesn't.

Russell's paradox defines a set as: the set of all sets that are not members of themselves.

If that set contains itself, it cannot be that set we are looking for (the set we are looking for contains only sets that are not members of themselves).

If that set does not contain itself, the set does not contain all sets that does not contain themselves - since it does not contain itself.

hmmm... I hope that makes it clearer.

Otherwise, we can do it with mathematical symbols:

Let S be the set that contains all sets that are not members of themselves.

S={x : x does not belong to x}, is to be understood as "S is the set of all x, such that x does not belong to x).

if S belongs to S, then by definition S does not belong to S. If S does not belong to S, then S must belong to S. Contradiction.

---

This makes it perhaps most clear: "If a barber shaves all those who do not themselves shave, does he shave himself?"

---

If I'm still not clear enough, I bet you can find loads of better descriptions of the net - google.

ReputationRep:
    The barber example was perfect.
    Wicked!

ReputationRep:
    *backs away slowly*

ReputationRep:
    Yeh rejected from Lincoln, Oxford for Law too - looks like it might be UCL for me as well. I hope the people that got accepted there were damn good

ReputationRep:
    Add me to the list

Rejected by Exeter college for E&M. Got 3 interviews and sent to Pembroke but still no luck. Didn't want to go there anyway - atleast thats what I'm telling myself.

In reality I was drawn to it for the prestige and the beauty of the college itself. In terms of an economics degree, and a social life, I'm sure UCL will be alot better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DredgeReformist)
    In reality I was drawn to it for the prestige and the beauty of the college itself. In terms of an economics degree, and a social life, I'm sure UCL will be alot better.
    Well, UCL is hardly lacking in prestige either. We could do worse.

Yeah, you get legends like me at UCL for Economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bulmore)
    I hope the people that got accepted there were damn good
    Same, but if you find out why they rejected you, you may find that you feel that you'd rather have been rejected- that happened to me. Anyway i think i saw you, didn't you have the general interview just before me, it was on the first day at like 5 something, you warned me about the suicidal stairs up into the room?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    That's it we're all definitely going there now....:p:

ReputationRep:
    Oxford - Keble AND THEN Somerville AND THEN Wadham for Classical Archaeology and Ancient History. Academic wh*res... Not too upset about UCL though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludivine)
    Well, UCL is hardly lacking in prestige either. We could do worse.
    True, I'm happy with UCL. Looking forward to being in the centre of London etc. Not looking forward to the maths. I fear my tactic of blagging my way through A-Level could be ineffectual.

ReputationRep:
    A girl I sat next to at the open day was disgusted by your tales of drunken bar crawls. Aparently she wanted somewhere more academic.

What is wrong with people these days?

A girl I sat next to at the open day was disgusted by your tales of drunken bar crawls. Aparently she wanted somewhere more academic.

What is wrong with people these days?
    If she wants to be academic, she can lock herself in her room and go to the library for the odd bit of exposure to sunlight.

I won't mind. Just means the queue is shorter

ReputationRep:
    I dont know whether to agree or whether to hold a bunsen burner to your face.
    Tough call.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm another oxbridge reject. Rejected from Selwyn college @ Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    If she wants to be academic, she can lock herself in her room and go to the library for the odd bit of exposure to sunlight.

I won't mind. Just means the queue is shorter
    True.

I think she must have been the only one to find that balding ginger blokes talk interesting. Sure I'm interested in the academic side, but its not like its the main reason I'm going to uni.

True.

I think she must have been the only one to find that balding ginger blokes talk interesting. Sure I'm interested in the academic side, but its not like its the main reason I'm going to uni.
    I've listened to that talk 7 times now... it's a bit of a grind... I think it's fair to say that people get a choice about how they want to spend their degrees and can achieve their goals, whatever they may be. Some people here are going to postgrad at Cam for a masters in econ before then doing a doctorate... others are going into City jobs etc.

ReputationRep:
    I've listened to that talk 7 times now... it's a bit of a grind... I think it's fair to say that people get a choice about how they want to spend their degrees and can achieve their goals, whatever they may be. Some people here are going to postgrad at Cam for a masters in econ before then doing a doctorate... others are going into City jobs etc.
    Oh - I was being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong I'm targetting a 2:1/1st - theres no point going to a place like UCL for Econ if you don't want to work hard and get a good degree.

I was just suprised someone could be put off by the social side of things!

I'm actually quite looking forward to being challenged. I think its fair to say I've floated through my education doing the bare minimum to stay on the right side of teachers and get the grades I need.

Having said that I plan to try and get the most out of uni as I can. So want to explore the social aspect just as much. Starting with the circle line pub crawl ( ) and joining loads of activities etc.

The Freshers event list for Economics is already being drawn up and organised... it's looking rather good :cool:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 21, 2006
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.