Oxbridge rejects! Watch

Ludivine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
The Freshers event list for Economics is already being drawn up and organised... it's looking rather good :cool:
Are the events really different from department to department? I really hope the linguists will get something decent...
Phonicsdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lawyers get the best. [/smug]
tomcoolinguk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lawyers/ medics/ economists can't complain! Everyone else..... probably will/can
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ludivine)
Are the events really different from department to department? I really hope the linguists will get something decent...
Yes, they are. And lawyers do get a really good programme.... almost too good :p:
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
Lawyers/ medics/ economists can't complain! Everyone else..... probably will/can
Surprisingly enough, SSEES do a half decent programme too.
Odd Senex
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Anyone know about English?

And while I'm one the Oxbridge rejects thread - I'm in the interesting position of having been rejected by both Oxford (missed my PPE offer by one mark) and Cambridge (straight rejection this year for english). Beat that!
FarEastGerman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That is quite frustrating Odd Senex. Although the fear that kept me off a gap year, (getting rejected from Oxbridge again and notgetting a place at UCL next time round) didn't materialise for you, luckily enough...

I'm just wondering too about fresher's fortnight, being an ESPS student (hopefully) which catagory would i fall into? Linguists? Social sciences? I feel like a bit of an academic mongrel already....
Ludivine
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That's alright then, I might be involved in that since I'm doing Russian. Or maybe not.
vibrantcarousel
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by A Shining Light)
Hey, I'm another oxbridge reject. Rejected from Selwyn college @ Cambridge.
Go Selwyn rejects! I maintain that its their loss... yeah...
Angel Interceptor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
Why should other people complain? If you're one of those people who needs to have a good time organised for you, then I'm quite glad that I'm not doing law or any of the other aforementioned subjects, as there's far more to see and do in London than the Union and yet another Freshers' trip to Belushi's. :rolleyes:
Phonicsdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We never went to belushi's.
Whatever this is.
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Phonicsdude)
We never went to belushi's.
Whatever this is.
I'm sure dude, I was just generalising. Freshers' events are all well and good, but it's not the be-all and end-all of meeting people and making friends like some people seem to think it is, that's all.
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
Law, Medicine and Economics have a really unique identities are departments and that's partly down to hanging together from freshers and then what their degrees lead into.

(law going to law, medicine to doctors, economists into bankers...)

And Pratik is absolutely correct. Freshers is not the be all, end all. It's a tiny slice of your life at UCL (unless you do law, in which case, it's a bit bigger... but it's also a bit too long - or I think it is)
centime
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi, my name is centime and I'm an oxbridge reject...
(anyone else feel like they're in an AA meeting?:p: )

Rejected from Oxford for English (St Edmund Hall).
FarEastGerman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Exactly centime! That's what it sounds like...My name is FarEastGerman and I have been Oxbridge-free for about 18 years now. Not a drop of oxbridge for me, i'm abstaining; so proud of myself!
Hehe
Als
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't like the term 'Oxbridge reject'. It sounds so ... rejected.

Although, I am one. From Balliol for French and Linguistics.
FarEastGerman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
rejectee then. It sounds just that more business-like and less harsh.
jitterbug55555
Report 12 years ago
any fellow-Americans here who actually understand the British scoring system and entrance requirements?
TommehR
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jitterbug55555)
any fellow-Americans here who actually understand the British scoring system and entrance requirements?
I think it's far easier to understand than the US system (although I guess that's because I'm from the UK).

Most people in this country do three/four A-levels (which take place over two years, you start when you're 16 and end when you're 18, normally) and these are the basis for university offers.

The highest grade you can get in a subject is an A, the next a B, then C and so on down to about E/F.

Most universities will give offers like AAB which would mean you have to get an A in two subjects and a B in your third subject in order to be accepted onto the course.

Understand? Or need more explanation? :p:
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Pinguin)
met too, applied to oxford (law) and was allocated to magdalen rejected after interviews...
was it an open application?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (847)
80.67%
Leave (203)
19.33%

Watched Threads