(Original post by Daveo)
    Just one - Don't!
    Soooo helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Soooo helpful!
    Sorry.. Poetry isn't my thing.

ReputationRep:
    I always do a brief introduction and then analyse each stanza. Then I end by tying it all in together. (I assume u meant analysing a poem rather than writing your own)

ReputationRep:
    is it for comparisson of poems? the most important thing to do in poetry essays is to constantly check that you are following the set task, because its very easy to wander and write a load of good stuff that isnt worth any marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    I always do a brief introduction and then analyse each stanza. Then I end by tying it all in together. (I assume u meant analysing a poem rather than writing your own)
    Thanks, that's what i used to do but i've been told by my teacher that this is too simplistic

ReputationRep:
    Oh :confused: Well I suppose you could look into the historical context of the poem and perhaps say a few things about the poet??

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    if thats too simplistic as you say you teacher says it is, how about analysing themes and contexts within the peice - you may feel like you are jumping all over the place, but it makes for a more sophisticated reading style.

ReputationRep:
    We've been told not to go through each stanza like that anymore because apparantly it leads to 'technique spotting' which is a bad move. We are doing keats and what i'm going to start doing is (for eg) start by an introduction and then moving on to divide it up into themes.. that way you shouldn't find yourself repeating yourself too often (eg. in Keats if i was to go through stanza by stanza or even line by line i'd keep finding the same stuff over and over again. Not to mention there just won't be time in the exam!!) So just remember the main themes / recurrent traits of your poet and try to tackle an essay that way.

I despise poetry by the way. As soon as I get to uni i'm going to avoid all poetry modules like the plague!!!

ReputationRep:
    I hone in on any themes, especially metaphors that run throughout the entire poem. OR, I group them into sections and link them up. It's easy with poetry like Plath's. The stanza thing IS quite restrictive.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help guys, sadly my English exam was this morning Oh well, i coped!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.