The Student Room Group

left ankle, went over it and heard a crack

I played 5-aside football last night. Tried to control the ball, fell to the ground and went over on my left ankle and heard a crack. I can put weight on my ankle but it feels sore, tender and I don't have alot of confidence with it, especially given the loud cracking noise I heard?? It's on the left side of my left ankle.

Could it be a big sprain or some ligaments??
Well as I have psychic powers I can deduce that your foot is probably going to go septic, and fall off tomorrow morning :wink:

As with most posts on the Health forum, if you think it's serious then go talk to that free GP chappie your family knows :biggrin:

They're more qualified and they can actually look at the ankle in question!
More than anything, I was wondering whether people have had something similar happen.

I've just called NHS Direct and after the phone conversation, advised to self-care, do the R.I.C.E thing, rest, ice, compression and elevation. Convinced I've done something more than a sprain as there was an audible cracking noise last night. Yet I can walk and put weight on my ankle. Certainly not going to do any sport for at least the next week.

Just as I was getting back into football and this happens. FFS.
If you'd broken it you probably wouldn't be able to walk on it (without pain) and it would probably be very swelled up. But if you're still worried then visit your GP/A&E and get an x-ray.
Original post by SparksInTheSky
If you'd broken it you probably wouldn't be able to walk on it (without pain) and it would probably be very swelled up. But if you're still worried then visit your GP/A&E and get an x-ray.

I doubt I have broken anything but the fact there was a cracking noise concerns me. Yet I can walk on my left ankle, it is tender and a small amount of swelling. I'm going to do the R.I.C.E treatment and lay off sport for at least a couple of weeks, just play it by ear and see how it goes.
Reply 5
Probably a sprain or twist.

That said I would get it X-Rayed to be sure, I thought I had sprained my wrist when in fact had broken both bones in my arm! The worrying thing was the school nurse thought I had sprained my wrist too.
Reply 6
if you didn't ice it, try massaging the area. give it 3 days, if it's bad go to the hospital for an x ray.
Its happened to me before... different situation though. I tried the R.I.C(not compression).E method for three days solid, and it worked :smile:

Just try not to put too much pressure on it, and do get some rest, or else it could worsen.
Happened to me at Christmas, fell down one stair, landed funny and heard a sickening crack with a sudden feeling of wooziness/confusion. Could walk on my foot with considerable pain, was able to put some weight on it. Foot gradually turned purple and swelled up so that there was an egg lump.. Gave it an hour - phoned NHS 24 for advice. Was 999d to hospital at their request, just in case, turned out it had broken. I would get it x-rayed just to be sure, the fact that it cracked suggests you've done something.

I was adamant that I hadn't broken it though - as were the nurses and doctors and paramedics. Don't know who was more shocked after the x rays came back!

Would stick with the PRICE - Protection, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation in the mean time, but I would try to book an x ray or at least see your GP.
Reply 9
Probably not much point seeing your GP. Given the audible crack it is probably worth going to either a minor injuries unit or an A&E. The GP can't do much as he won't be able to X-ray the ankle.
Original post by ashthetash
Probably not much point seeing your GP. Given the audible crack it is probably worth going to either a minor injuries unit or an A&E. The GP can't do much as he won't be able to X-ray the ankle.

I have considered paying a visit to a local minor injuries unit, as although I can put weight on my left leg/ankle, there was an audible crack, so some damage has clearly occured, could be tendons, ligaments, who knows...

I'm going to 'play it by ear' and if I continue to have a niggle etc, I'll go and get an x-ray. Going to sit it out, do no weight bearing exercise for at least a week (will try some turbo exercise in a few days time, something gentle), play it safe basically.

Bit of a ball-ache this, just as I was getting back into football for the first time in 3 years and this happens. And my tennis season is not far off from starting, with league matches coming up in a couple of months. Hope it's all cleared by then, ffs.
Reply 11
I really would go and get it checked out. It's not worth leaving it for the sake of waiting a few hours in A&E or a walk-in clinic.
Had it checked this morning at the hospital. Nothing broken as I suspected, was informed that the crack will have been my ankle ligaments - so given the standard R.I.C.E advise, along with some exercises I can be getting on with. Advised not to play any tennis or football for at least 3 weeks.
RICE it see if it gets better in a few days, if not see your gp.

EDIT: ohh you have already lol
Reply 14
Sounds like you have some sort of problem with your ankle.
Hello,
I did the same playing football.
Heard a loud crack like a piece of wood breaking from my left ankle
All the players near me heard it also and were quite alarmed.
Anyhow I hobbled around a bit and could walk .....but could feel a faiir bit of pain if I put any pressure on it. I used one of those neoprene ankle pressure supports which helped.
The thing is it took about 9 months before it was back to pre injury condition.
However I am not a spring chicken...so maybe it's a combination of how bad the injury and youth for the recovery time.
Regards SWB

Latest