Turn on thread page Beta

How words was born ~ Horny watch

ReputationRep:
    pot noodles.

ReputationRep:
    Probably something to do with the devil having horns etc.

ReputationRep:
    It originates from the late 16th century. When people had 'the urge', they would blow some kind of love-bugle and other sexed up people would come running to them from across the land.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it to do with some sort of mythical horned god? Was in the Da Vinci Code, or some Dan Brown book or another. The god symbolised something like male sexuality/fertility.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I think we all have good reasons why that is a word. One day we may learn the real reason why these such words come about.

ReputationRep:
    i can't wait

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Maybe something to do with cuckolds supposedly having horns as well. So people with high sexual appetite lead to horns? Maybe?
    cuckolds themselves wernt the ones with a large sexual apitite. they were the ones ridiculed for not being able to control their unfaithful wife.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emit.)
    i can't wait
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeff's_dead)
    It originates from the late 16th century. When people had 'the urge', they would blow some kind of love-bugle and other sexed up people would come running to them from across the land.
    ROFL :rolleyes:

I got a 1st in my final paper on 16th century history.... I found your explanation so funny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluejeansdave)
    Thanks guys, I think we all have good reasons why that is a word. One day we may learn the real reason why these such words come about.
    Are you perchance related to 'The Sand Man'?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.