The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL Biology JUNE 2012 Pre-release article

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by kitriviolet
and theres this one about phosphofructokinase? or however you spell it. a high level of ATP in the cell inhibits this enzyme which takes care of a reaction in glycolysis. this prevents the cell from producing too much ATP :smile:

actually, there are many enzymes involved. for eg there are dehydrogenases also which catalyse the formation of reduced NAD and FAD . but all of that isnt important, we just need to know that each reaction invovles a specific enzyme. thats whats written in the spec and thats what my teacher said.
Original post by kitriviolet
and theres this one about phosphofructokinase? or however you spell it. a high level of ATP in the cell inhibits this enzyme which takes care of a reaction in glycolysis. this prevents the cell from producing too much ATP :smile:

:rofl: Thank goodness that's not in the syllabus
Interesting word though :cookie:
Reply 222
give three functions of tendons and ligaments (6 marks)

outline the difference between tendons and ligaments.
Reply 223
ive seen that whenever a question on ethics comes up, the MS always explain the rationalist and absolutist view in first two points...... just thought would share :biggrin:
Reply 224
Original post by iesians
ive seen that whenever a question on ethics comes up, the MS always explain the rationalist and absolutist view in first two points...... just thought would share :biggrin:

Really!?
Thanks for that note :]
Reply 225
define oxygen debt and explain its importance in anaerobic respiration . (4 marks)
Original post by iesians
define oxygen debt and explain its importance in anaerobic respiration . (4 marks)

lack of oxygen available in the body to act as a final electron acceptor.
it's important to convert the lactate built up into pyruvate which can then be oxidised and the stages of aerobic respiration can take place.
Also, lactic acid is acidic so it inhibits enzymes and neutralises the negative charge on the active site of enzymes so substrate enzyme complexes can't form.
Original post by iesians

what does rationalist and absolutist view mean? :s-smilie:
Reply 228
Original post by ineedtorevise127
what does rationalist and absolutist view mean? :s-smilie:

you dunno that.....
rationalist view :- who think that use of animal is wrong, but in some circumstances it may be allowed.

absolutist view :- its completely unacceptable to use animals in any circumstances!
Reply 229
Original post by ineedtorevise127
lack of oxygen available in the body to act as a final electron acceptor.
it's important to convert the lactate built up into pyruvate which can then be oxidised and the stages of aerobic respiration can take place.
Also, lactic acid is acidic so it inhibits enzymes and neutralises the negative charge on the active site of enzymes so substrate enzyme complexes can't form.

how about this :-
the amount of oxygen required to oxidise the accumulated lactic acid back into pyruvate is called oxygen debt .
Reply 230
in paragraph 13 of page 3, it says amygdala. What does that mean and what does it to do the body?
Reply 231
Original post by iesians
give three functions of tendons and ligaments (6 marks)

outline the difference between tendons and ligaments.

Ligaments joins bones to other bones, holding them together while skeletol muscles are joined to bones by tendons. I have no idea how this can be a 6mark question as there is like only 5lines about ligaments and bones on my cgp book:s-smilie:
Reply 232
These are all the questions that I have collected so far from diiferent websites, including some from here (actually most are from here:biggrin:)

Thought I could put it up, so people wont have to go reading through piles of junk lol

Also can someone explain to me paragraph 28 and 29. Dont get any of it at all lol
^^Thanks arnab, there's one I couldn't get straight away

Why is WAT located around the abdomen dangerous for the heart?
Anyone? :dontknow:
Reply 234
Original post by This Honest
^^Thanks arnab, there's one I couldn't get straight away

Why is WAT located around the abdomen dangerous for the heart?
Anyone? :dontknow:

i askd my sir, he said :-
WAT around abdomen has been proven to be strongly correlated to CVD's and diabetes type 2 , yet it hasnt been proven causal! but because it is STRONGLY correlated (meaning 90% above population showing the correlation) it can be considered valid.
Reply 235
Original post by arnab
Ligaments joins bones to other bones, holding them together while skeletol muscles are joined to bones by tendons. I have no idea how this can be a 6mark question as there is like only 5lines about ligaments and bones on my cgp book:s-smilie:

i asked 3 functions of EACH , so 3 + 3 = 6 ! :tongue: (i think so it was in an old PP)
Original post by iesians
i askd my sir, he said :-
WAT around abdomen has been proven to be strongly correlated to CVD's and diabetes type 2 , yet it hasnt been proven causal! but because it is STRONGLY correlated (meaning 90% above population showing the correlation) it can be considered valid.

Ahhh cool!
My teacher said that too but just wondered if there was an actual reason
Reply 237
Original post by This Honest
Ahhh cool!
My teacher said that too but just wondered if there was an actual reason

shouldnt the answer be like, WAT is fatty substance which may accumulate in arteries leading to atherosclerosis? maybe around the abdomen more chance of fatts accumulating in blood..
I dont see anything about causation or correlation in this question; "Why is WAT located around the abdomen dangerous for the heart?"..
Original post by demdil
shouldnt the answer be like, WAT is fatty substance which may accumulate in arteries leading to atherosclerosis? maybe around the abdomen more chance of fatts accumulating in blood..
I dont see anything about causation or correlation in this question; "Why is WAT located around the abdomen dangerous for the heart?"..

hmm...perhaps

the causation/correlation bit was in the article

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending