The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL Biology JUNE 2012 Pre-release article

Scroll to see replies

Really interesting article. Looking forward to this exam now :tongue:

But we haven't looked at it in class yet at all because we haven't even nearly finished the rest of the course... :s-smilie:
Original post by This Honest
You were spot on with the medulla bit but you didn't really hit the nail on the wood with the pre frontal cortex bit :s-smilie:
It's as simple as:
-involved in decision making, reasonin, planning, emotions...that sort of thing that you should mention

But that's just general to the function of the frontal lobe, that's why I didn't mention it.
You asked specifically about the pre-frontal cortex which is responsible for "forming associations by combining information from the rest of the cortex" (from the textbook). :s-smilie:
Reply 122
I got a question for you guys:

The pre-frontal cortex is part of the frontal lobe of the brain. Describe some of the functions of this part of the brain, and compare it with the function of the medulla?

Person who gets it correct gets rep and something else :colone:

the prefrontal cortex is involved in controlling all the voluntary actions in the body. it also helps process decision making , thinking , learning and stores memory.
conversely, medulla oblongata is involved in all involuntary actions in the body such as controlling hear rate , breathing rate , blood pressure etc.
i think :P
Reply 123
Original post by SimpleGirl
But that's just general to the function of the frontal lobe, that's why I didn't mention it.
You asked specifically about the pre-frontal cortex which is responsible for "forming associations by combining information from the rest of the cortex" (from the textbook). :s-smilie:

i dont think edexcel would be so damn specific to actually ask about THE PREFRONTAL CORTEX !! at most , it may just ask about the cerebrum !
Reply 124
Any suggestion for unit 6 bio ?? It's in two weeks....!!!
can somebody please send me the mark schemes for june 2011(units 4,5,6B) and jan 2011(units 4,5,6B) for biology??
Can someone help me out here?? In the SNAB (ann fulleck one) book it says: when cis retinal absorbs a photon of light its converted into trans retinal and so rhodopsin bleaching occurs. This causes sodium ion channels to close so the interior of the nerve fibre becomes hyperpolarised and this generator potential means that neurotransmitter subtance IS RELEASED onto the bipolar neurone to cause and action potential HOWEVER in the CGP book it says NEUROTRANSMITTER IS NOT RELEASED onto the bipolar neurone which does not inhibit it therefore it can fire an action potential?? The books directly contradict each other..so which ones right? :s-smilie:
Original post by iesians
the prefrontal cortex is involved in controlling all the voluntary actions in the body. it also helps process decision making , thinking , learning and stores memory.
conversely, medulla oblongata is involved in all involuntary actions in the body such as controlling hear rate , breathing rate , blood pressure etc.
i think :P

That sounds right :biggrin:
But I already said the answer before you wrote it so :tongue:
Original post by Hanz_a93
Can someone help me out here?? In the SNAB (ann fulleck one) book it says: when cis retinal absorbs a photon of light its converted into trans retinal and so rhodopsin bleaching occurs. This causes sodium ion channels to close so the interior of the nerve fibre becomes hyperpolarised and this generator potential means that neurotransmitter subtance IS NOT RELEASED onto the bipolar neurone to cause and action potential HOWEVER in the CGP book it says NEUROTRANSMITTER IS NOT RELEASED onto the bipolar neurone which does not inhibit it therefore it can fire an action potential?? The books directly contradict each other..so which ones right? :s-smilie:

Look at the bold bit. That sentence should say:
"this generator potential means that neurotransmitter substance is NOT released..."
Look at the bold bit. That sentence should say:
"this generator potential means that neurotransmitter substance is NOT released..."

I dont get it? But the snab book says it is released... :s-smilie:
Original post by Hanz_a93
I dont get it? But the snab book says it is released... :s-smilie:

well my cgp guide (not SNAB) and textbook both say it's not released.
Perhaps a mistake?
Reply 131
That sounds right :biggrin:
But I already said the answer before you wrote it so :tongue:

lol gimme more questions !
well my cgp guide (not SNAB) and textbook both say it's not released.
Perhaps a mistake?

ahh ok thanks!!

damn the snab book makes alota bloody mistakes... they made a mistake on the sliding filament thing as well by naming a H zone an A band and vice versa wtf...lol
Original post by iesians
lol gimme more questions !

BAT is activated by both the SNS and thyroid hormones. Compare and contrast the way in which these two methods of communication operate.

:colone:
BAT is activated by both the SNS and thyroid hormones. Compare and contrast the way in which these two methods of communication operate.

the SNS reacts quickly, using action potentials, whilst hormones react slower. Hormones can trigger a change in several types of tissue, whilst nerve impulses usually its one one place or thing.
Reply 135
is this for unit 3?
Original post by .snowflake.
the SNS reacts quickly, using action potentials, whilst hormones react slower. Hormones can trigger a change in several types of tissue, whilst nerve impulses usually its one one place or thing.

Yeah, that will do. You can also add:

hormones can affect growth but SNS can't
hormones are long lasting whereas SNS has a short term effect
Reply 137

wow ! i didnt start studying the article yet ! maybe becoz i want to concentrate more on unit 6 now .....theres still time for unit 5 /.....wbu ?
Reply 138
Paragraph 20 talks about neural circuits (CRF system) involved in stress reactions.

what is a CRF system??

thanks! :smile:
Original post by chocobiz
hey
did anyone come across this website ?
http://edexcelbiosolutions.com/
it seems very useful for unit 5 article..
and does anyone have this pdf file ?

did you get that pdf.plx do share with me! mail me if u like

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending