How long should I wait before bleaching my hair?

Watch
username163092
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'll try and keep this simple, if I can! I dyed my hair black a while ago. I wanted to go ginger again so used colour B4 extra strength and then dyed it again. It went black again (my fault for not reading the last part of the leaflet). So I waited a few days, used colour B4 again. Then I waited a week and dyed it red. However, it's just way too dark (the dye I used said it could dye over how dark my hair was but it's just black again!).

So:

-Black hair, used colour B4 & then dye. Went black
-Few days later, colour B4 again
-A week later, dye

I want to bleach my hair and then start from there, but given how dark some of my hair is it might take two bleaches to get it to an evenish colour so I can dye over that. I really don't like how dark it is as my natural colour is a fairly mousy brown.

So how long should I wait before bleaching my hair, because it's taken quite the battering recently (though it still feels absolutely fine - I rarely use heat on it so I guess that's helped).
zoeaw
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Apparently if you bleach it and then dye over it the colour washes out really quickly just fyi
username163092
Rep:
?
(Original post by zoeaw)
Apparently if you bleach it and then dye over it the colour washes out really quickly just fyi
It lasted fine the last time I did it (and yes, last time I went from black to ginger... Every time I dye my hair black I seem to want to go ginger next! :facepalm:) so I'm not too worried. Plus, I can just top it up.
username163092
Rep:
?
(Original post by Billton)
Wait a few weeks to bleach your hair, there's a chance it could start snapping off otherwise. Also you are aware bleaching it won't make it blonde/white... probably more carrot orange and brown? Therefore dying it ginger will probably end up like tie dye?
Yup, I've done it before, hence the probable need to bleach it twice. My hair's pretty awful right now - bright red roots and then the rest is still bloody black! But I can put up with having stupid hair for a while, now and between bleaches.
Piko_Piko
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That happens a lot with colour B4. You dye it at all after using it, even if you wait the recommended few weeks, and your hair goes really dark.
If I were you, I'd bleach just a small, unnoticable strand of hair as much as you like and see what it does. It's the only way to know what bleach will do, as your hair's been messed with so much at this stage.
username163092
Rep:
?
(Original post by Piko_Piko)
That happens a lot with colour B4. You dye it at all after using it, even if you wait the recommended few weeks, and your hair goes really dark.
If I were you, I'd bleach just a small, unnoticable strand of hair as much as you like and see what it does. It's the only way to know what bleach will do, as your hair's been messed with so much at this stage.
Ah that's a great idea! My hair's really thick so it'd be easy to hide too. All of the previously-bleached stuff has been chopped off, if it hadn't I don't think I'd even consider it - my hair would definitely fall out!

But yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with how little colour B4 actually worked...
Piko_Piko
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Aemiliana)
Ah that's a great idea! My hair's really thick so it'd be easy to hide too. All of the previously-bleached stuff has been chopped off, if it hadn't I don't think I'd even consider it - my hair would definitely fall out!

But yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with how little colour B4 actually worked...
It fools you though, because when it's first rinsed off it goes as light as you'd hoped, but then mysteriously goes progressively darker
username163092
Rep:
?
(Original post by Piko_Piko)
It fools you though, because when it's first rinsed off it goes as light as you'd hoped, but then mysteriously goes progressively darker
Haha this is exactly what happened! I have a lot of hair too, so it looks even darker because there's just so much of it.
otcblondie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I hate the dark hair I've acquired since using colour b4 . In a moment of madness I dyed it red deep auburn and I hated that hence colour b4. I am a natural blonde and now I want it back . Any ideas on how I can do this .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.04%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.14%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.5%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.33%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.7%

Watched Threads