Leeds College of Art & Design Watch

jenna_is_ace
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've got an interview there soon for photography, I'm crapping myself!
Has anyone else here been for an interview there for anything? Are they nice, or horrible and criticy in a bad way? I know I probably won't get the same people interviewing me for photography than people doing different courses there, but I'm just wondering if the staff there are nice in general, not arsey like what I've heard about Manchester Met & CSM.
What kind of stuff do they ask you?
kk8899
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jenna_is_ace)
I've got an interview there soon for photography, I'm crapping myself!
Has anyone else here been for an interview there for anything? Are they nice, or horrible and criticy in a bad way? I know I probably won't get the same people interviewing me for photography than people doing different courses there, but I'm just wondering if the staff there are nice in general, not arsey like what I've heard about Manchester Met & CSM.
What kind of stuff do they ask you?
hi my interview for the manchester met was fine, the questions may be a bit difficult. but not in an arsey way as u mention, but i turn down any UAL interview as their student hate their own uni (according to the student satisfaction rate 2005), that is big contradition with man met (their student love it).

hope ur interview go well.
megan
Report 12 years ago
i had an interview at leeds coolege of art, theyve now given me an unconditional. the place is awsome and the interviewer was soo nice its really relaxed its more like a chat.they ask you about your work and hobbies etc.just be really enthusiastic and they love it.hope that helps.
jenna_is_ace
Rep:
?
(Original post by megan)
i had an interview at leeds coolege of art, theyve now given me an unconditional. the place is awsome and the interviewer was soo nice its really relaxed its more like a chat.they ask you about your work and hobbies etc.just be really enthusiastic and they love it.hope that helps.
Oh thanks Megan, I hope mine is like a relaxed chat haha. Leeds looks ace.

(Original post by kk8899)
hi my interview for the manchester met was fine, the questions may be a bit difficult. but not in an arsey way as u mention, but i turn down any UAL interview as their student hate their own uni (according to the student satisfaction rate 2005), that is big contradition with man met (their student love it).

Thank you
I got rejected from Man Met without even an interview! But I'm applying again route B so maybe I will get in, although a couple of people I know that had interview there said their interviewers were pretty harsh and rude.
kk8899
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jenna_is_ace)
Oh thanks Megan, I hope mine is like a relaxed chat haha. Leeds looks ace.

Thank you
I got rejected from Man Met without even an interview! But I'm applying again route B so maybe I will get in, although a couple of people I know that had interview there said their interviewers were pretty harsh and rude.
good attitude!!.
since my counsin also got rejected from it through route a , but i do ask him to try again. may be that is true that they have about 1 to 8 ratio of applicant and place for graphic as i heard and 1 to 10 for 3D . so be prepare it will be very completetive. but worth trying.o
daftks
Report 12 years ago
hey i had my interview at leeds just last week for art foundation and the people are really nice~ they show you a tour and everything of their building and gives you a lot of detail as to what you'll do when you start on the course...as for stuff like accomodation, student services contact you so they're really helpful
im now split between choosing either london and leeds! bah!
good luck with your intervieW!
Drowned World
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think this is where I'll be going since I got rejected from my first 2 choices I got a place on the fashion course without an interview.

I haven't visited and know next to nothing about the place, which makes me want to cry!! I hear there's only around 700 students...

But I'm glad to hear that you guys like it, I'm going to the orientation day on Wednesday. Does anyone have any more info at all on the place? Is there a diverse range of students? Active social community/student union? etc
jenna_is_ace
Rep:
?
I got an unconditional offer! I think I'm going to go there because I got into Sheffield too but don't really want to go there and I've still not heard back off Manchester, so I really can't be bothered to go there now and I've heard from a friend of a friend that the photography department there isnt that great.

Leeds seemed pretty ace, it's not as pretty as the centre of Manchester but there seemed to be loads of students everywhere from the art college and the other 2 Leeds unis, so seems like a pretty student friendly place.
I'm doing photography and thats based in the old city building which has a nice Yates pub' on the corner of it haha.
I've 2 friends up there already who are on their foundation course up their at the college and they are loving it and they say Leeds nightlife is really good.

Not sure if there is a student Union for the art college, there probably is for Leeds Met & Leeds Uni though.
fakeplasticsmee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kk8899)

When you say the questions may be difficult?

I've only heard great things about MMU staff, that's got me worrried...
Drowned World
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
jenna_is_ace, are you going to an orientation day? I have mine at Blenheim walk on Wed, Leeds College seems to be the only uni which is doing such a thing! :yy:
I'm really nervous about going so far up north, coming from London myself. I went to Derby and was like :dong:

Reputation wise for art, which is better, Leeds College or Manchester Met? Do they have good reputations in general?
jenna_is_ace
Rep:
?
No I'm not going on an orientation day, I had a good look round when I went to my interview . Not sure about who has the better rep though, MMU or LCAD, seeing as LCAD is a dedicated art and design college though, I'd say them?
kk8899
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i would vote MMU,
since their design department is the second oldest in uk . and MMU is in the top ten most popular university choice (this year 7).
and I love manchester....
megan
Report 12 years ago
ive seen mmu cos i got in last year, wasnt too impressed it was my sixth choice.ld personally say lcad was better plus it has awsome past students such as henry moore, marcus harvey, damien hirst, barbara hepworth etc.so i think they must be doing something right.plus its been around since 1842.
Theshortlist_tom
Report 12 years ago
My Brother had an interview for Ba Graphic Design and he said the people were nice and went through his work with him outlining what thye liked ect.

Anyway he got a Conditional offer, so if you see a lad with a northern accent with an afro thats my brother.
Drowned World
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I went to the orientation day, and whilst the college itself was impressive, nice machinery etc, the fashion course was awful. I don't know what the other courses are like, but the standard of work for fashion was truly poor, I could not believe it was degree level stuff. For some reason, they didn't use sketchbooks, just paper. I'm going to MMU for an interview soon, but if I don't get in there I think I will prob take a gap year and re-apply next year.
megan
Report 12 years ago
lol, so long as uve got the facilities, the course and ur own wrk will be up to u. dont judge by wat other people are able to do.if uve got tallent then all will be gud.
Drowned World
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by megan)
lol, so long as uve got the facilities, the course and ur own wrk will be up to u. dont judge by wat other people are able to do.if uve got tallent then all will be gud.
I agree with what you're saying, but I tend to find that when you're in an environment where everyone is hard-worknig and ultra talented, you push yourself so much more so that your general strandard of work gets higher and higher than what it probably would've been had you worked on your own. When I was in secondary school, I was constantly top of my class because my school was so crap and I just didn't push myself as much as now, on my foundation course where the standard of work is just unbelieveable.
As a side note, I haven't heard of one person who's got rejected from the fashion course at Leeds College yet. About 10 girls have got in from my course without an interview, and when I went to MMU a girl from a small foundation course outside Birmingham said 5 people had got in without interviews from there. Just how many places do they have???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1411)
79.63%
Leave (361)
20.37%

Watched Threads