Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i believe in science
    i just wonder which god is it that you beleive in? there are several gods and dependent on what religion you have you beleive in different things. the world was created different dependent on the religion, so which one is the right one? but with science it is just one, big bang.

ReputationRep:
    I’m not being closed-minded, just if I believe in telepathy I might as well believe in vampires and the entire cast of Monsters Inc, and other things there is no evidence for. Do you believe in dragons and fairies? Actually, bad question - you probably do.
    There's no accounting for human experience - people have experienced the world stop turning, themselves levitating, you name it someone's felt it - that doesn't mean it's happened.
    And there is a scientific explanation for why psychosomatic methods work, it works in conjunction with psychoanalysis. I can’t explain it because I’m neither a doctor nor a psychoanalyst, but there is an explanation – there’s no blind faith involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    i believe in science
    i just wonder which god is it that you beleive in? there are several gods and dependent on what religion you have you beleive in different things. the world was created different dependent on the religion, so which one is the right one? but with science it is just one, big bang.
    Yes, but what caused the events leading up to the big bang? That can have religious conitations as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddock)
    If it exists, science will explain it eventually.
    Another excellent point - just because science hasn't explained something yet, it doesn't mean it never can. Science hasn't reached a conclusion - new things are being discovered and explained all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    but with science it is just one, big bang.
    Nah, with science there are many theories on how the world was created, not just the big bang theory. The big bang theory is the most popular as with our current society's knowledge it seems the most likely explaination. But creation will be researched until we know the answer (or we all die ). That's the difference between science and religion, Religion is based on Faith but Science is based on virtue, and actually searching for the truth and proving things

ReputationRep:
    Religion is just what some old men have made up. Science is what some clever men have proven. The fact that not everything has been proven should be no reason to credit religion.

ReputationRep:
    i think the real reason science and religion conflict is because they try to explain the same thing- achieve the same aim- ultimate knowledge. Perhaps they are too similar for comfort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Religion is just what some old men have made up. Science is what some clever men have proven. The fact that not everything has been proven should be no reason to credit religion.
    But is it actually proven? Many scientific theorys become obselete and shown to be wrong so can we give them any more credit than you want to give religious ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Some 'clever men' also proved that the earth was flat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    I don't think they ever claimed proof of that, did they? Just said it was common sense, what with the horizon and all that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    I don't think they ever claimed proof of that, did they? Just said it was common sense, what with the horizon and all that.
    It depends what you mean by the word 'proof'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    I don't know how to put it, it's sort of to do with energy.
    hmm, energy, yes? and what is energy? an abstract creation by physicists.

ReputationRep:
    they "proved" it using religion.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you mean by the word 'proof'.
    Do you know whether that claimed proof in any sense of the word? my knowledge here is a little shaky.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, it seems alot of the scientific types cannot accept that science is not conclusive as it may seem.
    Science makes alot of assumptions, and their knowledge is based on assumptions in part (external world, previous science etc) and that does not lead to a proof.

ReputationRep:
    This is such a stupid arguement! firstly its not necessary a one or the other question. it is possible to believe that science is right yet still retain a belief in God! (if you can think of an example where this isnt the case i would love to hear it)
    secoundly science cannot explain what happened before the big band since there is no know physical evidence for what was going on before then. Thus alot of science focused on that area is a load of *******s, one only has to look at string theory to see that its another religion effectively as it posses no facts that can be tested.

and before you think i am a raving bible basher i am thinking about doing physics for degree and am agnostic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    they "proved" it using religion.
    God never said the world was flat! And neither does the Bible. It was a lack of experience - no circumnavigation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    But is it actually proven? Many scientific theorys become obselete and shown to be wrong so can we give them any more credit than you want to give religious ideas?
    Is what proven? I said some things were and some things weren't.

Yes theories become obsolete in science, and that's the difference. Something so imporbably and with so much counter proof as the 7 day creation theory would never survive in science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    This is such a stupid arguement! firstly its not necessary a one or the other question. it is possible to believe that science is right yet still retain a belief in God! (if you can think of an example where this isnt the case i would love to hear it)
    secoundly science cannot explain what happened before the big band since there is no know physical evidence for what was going on before then. Thus alot of science focused on that area is a load of *******s, one only has to look at string theory to see that its another religion effectively as it posses no facts that can be tested.

and before you think i am a raving bible basher i am thinking about doing physics for degree and am agnostic.
    Could you give us a brief synopsis of string theory, please? Not everyone's doing physics, here.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    God never said the world was flat! And neither does the Bible. It was a lack of experience - no circumnavigation.
    the people that "proved" the earth was flat said that all the other planets were round, but because the earth is the centre of the universe, and it cannot be similar to the planets, it must be flat.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.