Quality of tap water Watch

Duck and Cover
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I love the tap water where I live, it's quite hard. But then if I go down to my grandparents house about 15 minutes away it's very soft, and not as amazing!
Jimmocrates
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"Should I worry about" - TV program by Richard Hammond looked at tap water. It may answer any questions on stuff:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/prog...ut/water.shtml
brimstone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Doesn't tap water contain fluorine/fluoride, therefore preventing a deficiency in fluoride if water is drunk on a regular basis? Is it removed by filtering?
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't know exactly what is removed by filtering, now that I think of it...
*edit* here we go!
(Original post by BRITA website)
Filtered vs. bottled
Tap water is perfectly safe. But it does not always taste, look or smell as good as many of us would like. Impurities that affect your tap water's taste, odour, and colour include:

* Chlorine: Chlorine can be used in water supply as a safe disinfectant. It has a bad taste and odour.
* Sediment: This is inorganic matter or natural vegetation. Sediment can cause build up in household pipes and bad tastes and odours.
* Water Hardness: Hard water contains dissolved minerals such as magnesium and calcium. These two elements in time cause limescale to build up in kettles, hot water appliances.
* Metals and Heavy metals such as lead, copper and aluminium are often present, depending on the age of your homes plumbing.

Filtered water
Filtered water will provide you and your family with clean, clear, and fresh tasting drinking water and:

* Makes great tasting coffee and tea.
* Reduces limescale build up in kettles and coffeemakers.
* May improve the colour and texture of foods cooked with water and can reduce the amount of scum produced during cooking.
* Costs much less than bottled water.
* Helps cut flowers to last longer and household plants thrive.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
mmm, i love the metallic taste of the water back down south... dont get that taste up at uni in the north
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
mmm, i love the metallic taste of the water back down south... dont get that taste up at uni in the north
Yeah. When I stay with my aunt oop'nor, I can't drink the water. I love my water down south.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Heyyy someone gave me some bad rep for my involvement on this thread What have I done?! *glares*
ChanandlerBong
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't really like the water down South too much and if I drink too much of it then it makes me feel a bit ill.
half face
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We have that problem at my house. It's normal for the water to be a bit scummy when you first switch the tap on, especially when you want water in the morning or if the tap hasn't been used for a while. If you think about it, the water has probably been sitting still in the tank or pipes for quite a while, god knows what kind of cr*p lurks in water pipes but I suspect that is the problem

The solution is to let the tap run for a few seconds before you put your glass or whatever underneath, it should be nice and clean by then.
lazza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Angelil)
Heyyy someone gave me some bad rep for my involvement on this thread What have I done?! *glares*
dont worry. someone just gave me bad rep for posting my opinion of certain fashions ON THE FASHION FORUM. what's worse is that the thread died 4 weeks ago...
button16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just to let you know that not all of Yorkshire has hard water I live in West Yorkshire and we have soft water.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1280)
79.7%
Leave (326)
20.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed