The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Texan88
Bomb the hell out of them, don't worry we have plenty of ranches in texas where we can get beef. Trust me we couldn't care less about argentina, anything south of our border we could care less about unless it's mexicans coming over it. If a new president is elected in november you might have an ally as well :biggrin: Most informed Americans disdain argentina as much as you brits do.

If any significant proportion of Americans agreed with me I would very carefully consider my views. Remember, yours is a nation that takes Sarah Palin seriously.
Reply 161
Original post by Bobifier
If any significant proportion of Americans agreed with me I would very carefully consider my views. Remember, yours is a nation that takes Sarah Palin seriously.

Only a portion of us take her seriously at all. Most of us laugh are asses off when we hear someone mention her. :colone:
steal their sheep
Reply 163
Original post by qwerty4444
I completely respect other peoples views on Britain's claim to the Falkland Islands, but for the sake of a debate, the point of this trend, let me put forward my view without been bombarded with negatives. Alot of people are saying on this trend, Argentina never owned the islands, we made our claim before Argentina existed etc. Let's turn this round imagine if the Vikings had not been driven out of the north of England in the early medieval period by Alfred, and acted as a barrier to Britain becoming a strong and stable nation, with the ability to claim lands by the late seventeen hundred's. If Britain then became a strong and stable nation, what would be your reaction if a nation some 8,000 miles away had claimed a piece of land, say the Outer Hebrides, which it could be legitimately claimed should be part of Britain. It could then be argued that they should remain part of the other nation, as the islanders share their culture. However, Argentina is a relatively liberal democratic nation, and as I heard someone say 'no one in Argentina would go and live their anyway'. Consequently, I'm sure that the Argentina would freely let the Islanders keep their culture and connections with Britain, if they choose to say there (as they share a common culture with Britain. Secondly, simply because a majority of two thousand people want to say part of Britain, this does not mean they should remain so, I am sure plenty of people living in Hong Kong wanted to remain part of Britain too. What this dispute comes down to is oil, which I see as a non-issue, Britain also claims the South Sandwich Islands which are not disputed anyway in order to make a claim to oil in this region. Finally, as Britain makes it's self out to be a world leader when it comes to combating climate change, should the UK's main proprietary,be oil?

Actually, the Faroe Islands would be a better example, they are part of the same island chain as the British Isles, they are a much more comparable distance away from mainland Britain as The Falklands are from Argentina. Oh, look what happens there, we respect Danish sovereignty of the islands.
Original post by Bax-man
So you would force Argentinian civilians who bear no ill will toward the United Kingdom to pay for the actions of the Argentinian government?

Something has to be done to stop Argentina from penalizing the Falklanders. If nothing is done then how far will Argentina go?

If a majority of Argentinians truly care about this, then they're free to protest against their governments' actions, however I haven't heard about any protest to what Argentina and now pretty much Latin America are doing (from their own people that is). Although, it might be censored from the news as it would make their governments look weak. Wouldn't surprise me.
'Argentina has no claim to the islands.... Their colonialist tactics should not be tolerated' and Britain does?

It's not so much that Britain has a claim to the islands. That it is that the islanders i.e. those who live and were born on the islands do. Due entirely to the fact that the falklands were where they were born. In the same way that a person of whatever ethnic background born in the UK would be considered a British citizen, and so has a say as to what happens to the UK.

The overwhelming majority of the islanders do not wish to be Argentine, they wish to be British. Well at that point any attempt to claim the islands on behalf of Argentina is unwanted, and colonialist. Britain protecting the islands against Argentina is just reflecting the views of the islanders.

And the fact that at some point in history the islands were colonised is irrelevant. Just about all countries on earth were colonised at some point in their history by humans.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jeddows
Send in Captain Price, cos you don't **** with a mad **** with a moustache and boonie hat....

hahaha I ran out of rep :frown:

they only want a look in now because of the oil :/ And I think it would be outrageous to let them take it after lives were lost 30 years ago defending it. In reality argentina can do nothing their army hasn't been updated in 30 years..
Original post by Bax-man
So you would force Argentinian civilians who bear no ill will toward the United Kingdom to pay for the actions of the Argentinian government?

Well the Argentine government is more than willing to do the same to the citizens of the Falklands isn't it? If it wants to play this game this is the kind of retribution that should be expected. And why the UK is still giving aid to a nation that seems to despise our existence I'm not quite sure.
(edited 12 years ago)
It shouldnt even be up for discussion until the Islanders themselves say they want to.

Hate the argies anyway magie should have nuked them in 82, if the rest of South America wants to start something now we should be looking to act pre-emptively and seriously consider the use of our nuclear deterrent. Possibly a one off against somewhere with a low population like Patagonia to show we mean business.
Original post by eggnchips
It shouldnt even be up for discussion until the Islanders themselves say they want to.

Hate the argies anyway magie should have nuked them in 82, if the rest of South America wants to start something now we should be looking to act pre-emptively and seriously consider the use of our nuclear deterrent. Possibly a one off against somewhere with a low population like Patagonia to show we mean business.

Someone with some balls for once, you for pm. we should not be lettin anyone bully us,
Reply 170
Original post by limetang
Well the Argentine government is more than willing to do the same to the citizens of the Falklands isn't it? If it wants to play this game this is the kind of retribution that should be expected. And why the UK is still giving aid to a nation that seems to despise our existence I'm not quite sure.

So because the Argentinian government acts against civilians who have harmed no one, the British government would be legitimized in doing the same? Why?
(edited 12 years ago)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 173
Your example of the Faroe Island example is wrong on three levels:

1. The Falkland Islands are 820 miles away from the Danish capital Copenhagen as opposed to 769 miles from London. Although they are closer to the British capital, the distance is comparable; as opposed to the Falkland Islands which are 200 miles off Argentina and 7913 miles from London.

So why aren't you using Buenos Aires as you reference point for Argentina? Although even your claim that they are only 200 miles from Argentina is quite some way off.

2. Secondly, if you study the history of the Faroe Islands they share a similar culture to Denmark and the rest of Scandinavia, due to the fact that they were inhabited by Vikings in earlier centuries. Consequently, their connection is deep routed as opposed to the 2,000 islanders that share the same culture due to relatively recent imperialism by Britain. I see your point that human beings have always been colonises but it is not natural to colonise a piece of land that is 8,000 miles away.

The Falkland Islanders share a similar culture with Britain. The Scottish settled on the Faroes before the vikings came, just the same as the French/Spanish had settled on The Falklands before the British came.

3. Britain has never made a claim to the islands, at least in modern times, consequently I do not see how you have come to the conclusion that using my logic, a country should be forced to make a sovereignty claim over a piece of land it doesn't want. If Britain does not want to make a more legitimate claim over a piece of land, than the country who currently owns it then that is perfectly fine; however, this does not mean that when another country makes a more legitimate claim to a piece of land, Britain should then keep it.

Because we respect Danish sovereignty over the Faroe Islands. Of course we would like the Faroe Islands, they have huge fishing and oil exploration rights in the North Sea, but we don't claim sovereignty on the basis that we were the first to settle the islands, we know that times have changed and concede that the wishes of the inhabitants are more important.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 175
Spain is to blame.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 177
No, we respect Danish sovereignty because we recognise they have a legitimate claim, the inhabitants of the Faroe Islands are Scandinavian and have inhabited the island since the 1st century and therefore rightly want to remain part of Denmark, in other words they are not Danes who are there because the Islands are owned by Denmark. However, the Falkland Islanders are simply there because the islands are owned by Britain.

The Faroe Islanders are simply there because the vikings invaded and then Scandinavian people settled there. OK, one was a thousand odd years ago and one was 200 years ago, but what's the difference?

Presumably you will also be in favour of Argentina handing back Patagonia to the Mapuches (which would incidentally mean The Falklands weren't off the coast of Argentina), they had lived there for thousands of years before the Argentines invaded.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 178
I'm not necessarily arguing that Argentina should have sovereignty over the island's either, simply that they have a more legitimate claim, in order to challenge the view that Argentina are the 'baddies' in all of this and Britain can do no wrong. In an ideal world the Falklands would become independent, however, this may be economically non-viable unless alot of oil is found, or the islands should become an uninhabited nature reserve, as they were before the 16th century.

What legitimate claim? That the islands lie off the coast of Argentina? Well they didn't when the British settled them, Argentina hadn't conquered that far south. Perhaps the fact that the Patagonia region was closer to The Falklands than Argentina when we settled them means that Britain has a legitimate claim over Patagonia, especially seeing as the Welsh settled there hundreds of years before the Spanish ever crossed the Atlantic.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending