Wolvero
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey, I'm half way through my Spanish GCSE and I'm trying to boost my writing level from an A to an A* and I thought a good place to start could be to use a range of complex structures. However, I've looked all over the internet and found basically no useful material. Could anyone please help by giving me a list of complex structures such as "sin embargo..." or "me gusta [infinitive]".
Thank you
stevop21
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Si pudiera/tuviera/hubiera etc... XXX (use conditional here)

^This is a nice imperfect subjunctive structure.

hace que + subjunctive

me gusta/encanta que + subjunctive

Trying using hasta que and despues que etc... all good stuff

There are a few to get you going!
Wolvero
Rep:
?
Nice, this is really helpful! Thank you
Wolvero
Rep:
?
However, I don't understand what the subjunctive is.
Florence321
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The subjunctive is a tense you aren't taught properly until AS Level, but it's great if you can use it at GCSE. Generally speaking, it's used when there is some uncertainty. For GCSE it's best to just learn some set phrases. The examples above are of the imperfect subjunctive, and translate as "if I...I would". For example, you could say "Si tuviera mas dinero, compraria mucha ropa." Si tuviera is 'If I had', and this is always followed by a conditional - here, 'I would buy'.
Hope that makes sense...?

Another good phrase is "Si fuera usted..." (If I were you) - a good one for if you're trying to persuade someone in a speaking or writing.
Wolvero
Rep:
?
Mmmm. That makes sense. I may have used it once or twice before. Thank you for the clarity
techno836
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
the best way to get a complex structure in the writing tasks for me is "Cuando sea mayor, me gustaria (accent on the I ) .... translating as when i am older i would like and then either ir/ser/estar/ver or whatever

a simple subjunctive/conditional complex sentence :-).. hope this helps
Wolvero
Rep:
?
Thanks It has helped a lot. My latest task is a speaking and this has given me a few ideas.

Thank you ^_^
james123454
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Spanish:
Kapelson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Florence321)
The subjunctive is a tense you aren't taught properly until AS Level, but it's great if you can use it at GCSE. Generally speaking, it's used when there is some uncertainty. For GCSE it's best to just learn some set phrases. The examples above are of the imperfect subjunctive, and translate as "if I...I would". For example, you could say "Si tuviera mas dinero, compraria mucha ropa." Si tuviera is 'If I had', and this is always followed by a conditional - here, 'I would buy'.
Hope that makes sense...?

Another good phrase is "Si fuera usted..." (If I were you) - a good one for if you're trying to persuade someone in a speaking or writing.
Hello, "Usted" is formal tense so wouldn't it be weird if you use informal language and then suddenly out of nowhere use formal? Or could you just say "Tu" instead of "Usted"?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (641)
48.56%
No (679)
51.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed