Turn on thread page Beta

Russell Group Universities.... watch

• View Poll Results: Would you choose a university purely because it was part of the Russell Group?
    Yes
    31.52%
    No
    68.48%

ReputationRep:
    What are your views on the Russell Group universities? Do you believe they are much more superior to universities that are not in this group? You can find a list of them @ http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/index1.html

ReputationRep:
    No, because although they are all excellent universities, York, St. Andrews and Sussex are not part of it and no-one can say they are any worse than any of the universities on that list. Durham isn't on it either I think.

ReputationRep:
    Unis like Exeter, Durham, York, St Andrews and Sussex which are not Russell Group unis are as good or better than quite a few unis of the Russel Group so it's stupid to choose a uni purely because it's part of the Russell Group.

ReputationRep:
    No, you should not consider the Russell Group when considering universities because it is not a group of the best universities, just a group of predominantly 'larger' universities. Most people would class York, Durham and St Andrews before the likes of Liverpool and Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    No, because the list is missing York and Durham.

ReputationRep:
    the russell group is a list of the major research intensive universities, not a list of the best universities

ReputationRep:
    :dito: I agree with what everyone else has said

Basically a lot of good unis are in the group but there are a few notable exceptions. I guess ultimately, very few people will decide upon where they go purely on the grounds of whether the institution is in the Russel Group:rolleyes: .

League tables, teacher's/parent's advice and other factors are going to play a much larger role in most people's decisions.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not bothered much about research then this grouping will be pretty useless to you.

But lets face it, if you stuck York and Durham in there then you would easily have the best UK universities all included, and most people would accept that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    But lets face it, if you stuck York and Durham in there then you would easily have the best UK universities all included, and most people would accept that.
    I may be biased - in fact, I'm totally biased - but I think Bath should be in there too :p:

ReputationRep:
    People don't go to the uni's because they are Russel Groups. But because they are great uni's...

Silly.

ReputationRep:
    Completely depends on your subject, if its one where a lot of new research is coming out, and you benefit from the research i.e. geology, then a Russell group uni is preferential

ReputationRep:
    No. Applying to uni purely bc it is in the Russell group would be pretty absurd. It would be a pretty random choice. Perhaps it could be part of a rational decision- alongside the surely far more important factors of the course, location, cost, atmosphere, etc. etc. And as Beekeeper mentioned, it's only truly relevant to people who are bothered about research, which I don't think is important to most undergrads anyway...

However, it is obviously a very good group of universities insofar as they are well reputed unis generally rated very highly. I really don't think the fact of being in the RG is what makes them so good, though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    I may be biased - in fact, I'm totally biased - but I think Bath should be in there too :p:
    hehe well my friend is at Bar::::th and he is loving it there, but I know nothing about it at all tbh...

Oh and I think York is heading for the Russel Group personally, it's certainly working hard with regards to research with massive investment, and it's getting noticed via channels like the White Rose Consortium, which pulls together Leeds, Sheffield and York unis to create quite a powerful force in the field... So I expect York to be in there within the next decade probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    hehe well my friend is at Bar::::th and he is loving it there, but I know nothing about it at all tbh...
    Bar:::th - :rofl:

Bath is fab! I think its generally seen as a good university - especially for Management and Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Bar:::th - :rofl:

Bath is fab! I think its generally seen as a good university - especially for Management and Maths
    Well, theres one things I know for sure- it is in a very pleasant city indeed, some very influential architectural surroundings which I am slightly obsessed by...

ReputationRep:
    The Russell Group membership has nothing to do with undergraduate studies.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I want to be elite. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Yes. I want to be elite. :p:
    But it's just a lobby group representing a bunch of institutions that have similar interests - there is no 'elite' about it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't apply to somewhere purely due to Russell Group status. Course content is important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    the russell group is a list of the major research intensive universities, not a list of the best universities
    And even so, the list is incomplete - it doesn't include some very research-intensive universities such as Royal Holloway and Lancaster.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.