Kings or Barts????? Watch

This discussion is closed.
studentpizza
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
just wondering what people preferred out of kings and barts. like which has the better reputation and results and stuff..?
**noooni**
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am not a medical student and you wont care what i think - But i would have thought Kings
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Heads or tails?

Which did you prefer? Which would you like to spend the next five years at? Nothing else is important.
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would have thought that they are much of a muchness academically...
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Essentially, there is no difference in terms of standard between any of the medical schools; the differences come in terms of course structure and teaching methods.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh! this is exactly the choice I had to make.

I went for Barts as the admissions staff at KCL were rude beyond belief, while BL always treated you politely and professionally. Also the course at BL suited me more.

I'd go and revisit each and get a vibe for them in a non-open day context.
*Emily*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
barts!! :yy:
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I really liked King's (well, GKT) when I went round on the clinical open day in November. I think they were trying quite hard to suck up to us though, but it worked - if I had got chucked out and had to go to London, they'd have been my first choice! QMUL didn't have a clinical students open day so I haven't seen them at all...obviously they don't love us *sob*
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I really liked King's (well, GKT) when I went round on the clinical open day in November. I think they were trying quite hard to suck up to us though, but it worked - if I had got chucked out and had to go to London, they'd have been my first choice! QMUL didn't have a clinical students open day so I haven't seen them at all...obviously they don't love us *sob*
GKT doesn't exist anymore they rebranded over the summer - they're now Kings College London School of Medicine and Dentistry. Didn't go down too well with the 'GKT' students, and people wonder why BL are so fiercely protective of their name...
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
GKT doesn't exist anymore they rebranded over the summer - they're now Kings College London School of Medicine and Dentistry. Didn't go down too well with the 'GKT' students, and people wonder why BL are so fiercely protective of their name...
The ones showing us round still used GKT, probably because they're 3rd years so were there before the change. I suppose it'll take a while for everyone to get used to it - but that place has had its share of name changes already!
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It was only last year or so.

Ultimately, those third, forth and fifth years will tell the freshers that they go to GKT and not strand poly and, with luck, they'll retain some semblance of their identity...
Whizz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's GKT - and i'm a first year!

It's just a shame that all those people who graduated last year graduated from somewhere which no longer exists. So much for tradition! Hope they don't merge the sports teams - that would cause an uproar beyond belief!
aSian_cUtY
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oooo speaking of sports teams...do you guys have a womens cricket team for kings..or even barts?
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes @ BL.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Whizz)
It's GKT - and i'm a first year!
It isn't. They're running down their stocks of headed paper.

Check your own website http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/medicine/ , and I think one of your students wrote about it in Medical Student.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh - and from your own medical school RAG: http://www.gktgazette.com/2005/sept/letters.asp
aSian_cUtY
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey fluffy...so whats the cricket team like...are they pretty competetive or not?
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Allegedly pretty good...

(sorry, would like to help more but I don't actually play cricket, let alone women's cricket)
aSian_cUtY
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lool...sounds good to me!!! i might join in, spice things up
Whizz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
It isn't. They're running down their stocks of headed paper.

Check your own website http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/medicine/ , and I think one of your students wrote about it in Medical Student.
I meant that it's still GKT to the students who joined this year. Yes, technically, its KCLSOMGKT (or whatever :rolleyes: ) but as Renal quite rightly pointed out, it will take more than a letterhead to change the name.

Students often struggle against change - just like how BL students are fending of QMUL, GKT students will fend off the imposing doom of being consumed by Kings ...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (155)
45.59%
Pro-humanity (185)
54.41%