The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Robot Chicken
if you get into medical school i swear i'm going to go postal in the admin office...

what is that supposed to mean, i may not be a posh brat like yourself but if i did get offers. its there for a reason.

oh yeh one more thing, the way one speaks does not matter as long as the person one is speaking to understands.(thats good communication). so i dnt give a **** wat u think, as well people around me understand wat im trying to say.
Reply 41
oh yeh one more thing, the way one speaks does not matter as long as the person one is speaking to understands
Clearly untrue. Are you telling me that you've never drawn conclusions about someone from the way that they speak?

Liar.
Reply 42
Fluffy
KCL are ruder than rude - and if RobotChicken agrees, then I'm happy it's a realistic impression to give :biggrin:

To be honest, BL admissions have had a very bad year this year. Hannah Eno, our old head of admissions (and an award winning one at that!) left to retrain as a SaLT at the beginning of the acaedmic year, and the new head didn't work out. They've been left with only the 2 assistants (1 med and 1 dent) since about February (Hannah went back in her Easter hols to help sort out the back log), and it's been really had work on them both.

Surely just because they were rude to you does not mean that they are generally rude. Crazykoolkid obviously had the opposite experiance to you which just demonstrates this.

Personally I don't really have a preference between the two universities and I think to the OP you should just read on the courses talk to the students on MSG and visit the campuses that should make your decision easier.

I don't think that picking on someone because of the way that they type or spell is really fair. Guarenteed I do find it easier to understand when people don't abbreviate and use slang but I don't think it is any indication on whether they should either get into medical school or make a good Doctor.

Rachel
Reply 43
randdom
Surely just because they were rude to you does not mean that they are generally rude. Crazykoolkid obviously had the opposite experiance to you which just demonstrates this.

Personally I don't really have a preference between the two universities and I think to the OP you should just read on the courses talk to the students on MSG and visit the campuses that should make your decision easier.

I don't think that picking on someone because of the way that they type or spell is really fair. Guarenteed I do find it easier to understand when people don't abbreviate and use slang but I don't think it is any indication on whether they should either get into medical school or make a good Doctor.

Rachel

Erm - that was one of my personal justifications for the choice I made...

When the only initial contact you have with a medical school is through their admissions staff, rude staff are not a good selling point. And in my experience they do not come much ruder. Not very good ambassadors for the medical school. I thought my experience might be a one off - but others have said the same thing. And if Robot Chicken, as a KCL medical students thinks his own schools admissions staff are rude (bar Heidi), then who am I to argue? :wink:
Reply 44
Fluffy
Erm - that was one of my personal justifications for the choice I made...

When the only initial contact you have with a medical school is through their admissions staff, rude staff are not a good selling point. And in my experience they do not come much ruder. Not very good ambassadors for the medical school. I thought my experience might be a one off - but others have said the same thing. And if Robot Chicken, as a KCL medical students thinks his own schools admissions staff are rude (bar Heidi), then who am I to argue? :wink:

I wasn't trying to insult you I was just pointing out that it isn't always that way not specifically to you rather for people who are reading it who also don't have personal experiance with them.
crazyskoolkid
what is that supposed to mean, i may not be a posh brat like yourself but if i did get offers. its there for a reason.

oh yeh one more thing, the way one speaks does not matter as long as the person one is speaking to understands.(thats good communication). so i dnt give a **** wat u think, as well people around me understand wat im trying to say.

what you have just said is akin to saying 'it does not matter how you dress so long as you wear clothes'.
go into a hospital talking like a ****** and you'll find yourself on your ass very quickly.
use words like 'wat' and 'u' in comminications with other doctors, and they will not respect you.

You say I am a 'posh brat', i say 'i have self respect'. I don't feel the need to talk like a moron in order to get 'level' with others. I would bet my origins are a damned site more lowly than yourself, and yet I don't feel the need to play down my intelligence. thats a positive reflection on me, not negative.

And to randomm l - i have nothing against people who CAN'T spell. There are plenty of intelligent people with dyslexias. But txt spking is not poor spelling. Its poor manners and a hideous sub-culture i think should not be encouraged. Its at best lazyness. Why say 'dat' when one more letter makes the proper word. why say 'den' [then]. Its fine for people to talk like this if they are from jamaica, but to write like it?
And i am a student from MSG, so I views posted here are equally as valid as posted there :biggrin:
Reply 46
Robot Chicken
And to randomm l - i have nothing against people who CAN'T spell. There are plenty of intelligent people with dyslexias. But txt spking is not poor spelling. Its poor manners and a hideous sub-culture i think should not be encouraged. Its at best lazyness. Why say 'dat' when one more letter makes the proper word. why say 'den' [then]. Its fine for people to talk like this if they are from jamaica, but to write like it?

I am sure that this person wouldn't use txt speak in a letter to a doctor or a personal statement, there are a lot of forums out there which allow txt speak and it can be difficult sometimes to switch from using it to not when moving to a new forum. Like I said I don't really use txt speak on forums but occasionally I will make a mistake and say bcos instead of because just because I slip up I don't think that it makes me a bad person. I just don't see why when someone new comes to this forum and posts in this way that people can't just politely suggest that they type in the way that is standard on this forum.

And i am a student from MSG, so I views posted here are equally as valid as posted there :biggrin:

I wasn't suggesting that the views posted here by people on this forum aren't as valid just that if you want a wide variety of view points from applicants and students that MSG is a good place to go because there are so many more applicants per place :smile:
You know what, i still think there is nothing wrong, and i agree with randomm. and did if i have or the people who use text slang, they are mainly using it because it is quicker. Not everyone has much time, like you. And i really dont think that doctors look down at me, just the way I speak. and end of the day its about communicating with your patients, if you are going to become a good doctor. But i must agree you may need to use perhaps more standard english when communicating with other doctors.

And one thing i have learnt from Engalish language study, is that the accomadation principle. In a good conversation, there is a tendancy for a convergence between the interacticing participants. So if your patient speak slang (high probability that they will), You will tend to use slang words inorder to reduce the social differences between you and your patient, thus creating a more personal relationship.

I cant believe that anyone let you in, becasue i am younger then you, yet i kniow the basics of communitcation. Remember this, you can all the knowledge in the world but if you cant communicate effectively with a wide range of people, you will be a crap doctor. Highly skilled, but crap.
please exclude - and did if i have- i typed the above message in a hurry
crazyskoolkid
You know what, i still think there is nothing wrong, and i agree with randomm. and did if i have or the people who use text slang, they are mainly using it because it is quicker. Not everyone has much time, like you. And i really dont think that doctors look down at me, just the way I speak. and end of the day its about communicating with your patients, if you are going to become a good doctor. But i must agree you may need to use perhaps more standard english when communicating with other doctors.

And one thing i have learnt from Engalish language study, is that the accomadation principle. In a good conversation, there is a tendancy for a convergence between the interacticing participants. So if your patient speak slang (high probability that they will), You will tend to use slang words inorder to reduce the social differences between you and your patient, thus creating a more personal relationship.

I cant believe that anyone let you in, becasue i am younger then you, yet i kniow the basics of communitcation. Remember this, you can all the knowledge in the world but if you cant communicate effectively with a wide range of people, you will be a crap doctor. Highly skilled, but crap.

unlike you i have met and had patients. i've only ever had positive comments about my communication skills.
I know you're young and that's is probably why you have these rosey ideas that other doctors don't communicate with patients but you'll be different, you'll keep it real, you'll communicate on their level. Get rid of this idea now.

The vast majority of your patients will be old. often very old. they will also be foreign. sometimes very foreign. and they will be from all different areas of the world. There is often little room to use slang when talking to patients. How do you know for sure they have understood you? you might drop in the odd little thing every now and then - usually in response to their own use of slang. Its a skill - to adapt your language to suit the patient. if a patient is intelligent you explain things in more complex language(your stomach lining is eroding away due to the action of the NSAID medications VS the pills are making your stomach dodgy)
And its very helpful to know slang yourself. i was in a consultation where a patient was talking about their gyppy leg where the poor indian doc didn't have a clue what gyppy meant.

when you are in a hospital you don't dress like you do when out with your mates. you don't act like when you're with your mates, and you don't talk like you do with your mates.
its called professionalism. its something extended to patients as well as colleagues.

I think you should realise this whole conversation arose because of my bugbear with txt spk - that people act like its such a time saver (when it blantantly isn't), and wrost of all when people take txt spk language to the spoken one, when people actually pronounce 'then' 'den' in a kinda of mockabbean manner.

I'm sure most students with clinical experience will agree with this.
Crap doctors aren't those who are prim with their language. They're the ones with no consideration for their patients, and at times outright contempt for them. that once in a while the two coincide is by the by.
Fluffy
And if Robot Chicken, as a KCL medical students thinks his own schools admissions staff are rude (bar Heidi), then who am I to argue? :wink:

they are a bit tight ass, t'is a fact. and i would imagine most the people who disagree with this are people who met heidi who is lovely.

its a bit silly really, kind of like reverse PR.
Reply 51
Robot Chicken

its a bit silly really, kind of like reverse PR.

Well it worked on me :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending