The Student Room Group

Imperial College MSc Economics & Strategy for Business (ESB)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by qwerty9
I talked to someone who is currently enrolled in this course and told me that only around half of them found a job. Also most of the people who got a job are in the energy industry. So I'm a little bit concerned because this course might be too general in the eyes of employers.

What do you guys think?

Have everyone already decided whether you are going to accept the offer or not?

Only half? It is a newer course but during my interview they definitely made it sound like 90% or high eighties are successful. Perhaps the person you talked to meant people weren't finding their ideal job or something.

That is slightly worrying though.
Reply 181
Original post by sc82491
Only half? It is a newer course but during my interview they definitely made it sound like 90% or high eighties are successful. Perhaps the person you talked to meant people weren't finding their ideal job or something.

That is slightly worrying though.

I have trouble believing that based on the employment statistics for other Imperial programs.

It's unconscionable to me that MSc Management would be placing considerably more than a high tech pre-consulting program. http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/business-school/programmes/careers/destination

On the same note, however, it's possible that only 50% may be employed by the end of the program (still considerably lower than the MSc Management). I do recall that during private conversations with a hedgefund manager that major companies have cut back hiring. We were talking about Goldman in particular.
Reply 182
Original post by madcatmk3
I have trouble believing that based on the employment statistics for other Imperial programs.

It's unconscionable to me that MSc Management would be placing considerably more than a high tech pre-consulting program. http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/business-school/programmes/careers/destination

On the same note, however, it's possible that only 50% may be employed by the end of the program (still considerably lower than the MSc Management). I do recall that during private conversations with a hedgefund manager that major companies have cut back hiring. We were talking about Goldman in particular.

Another thing is that the higher employment statistic is over a longer duration, upto six months after the program ended. Around 50-60% is more consistent with the other timeframes. Our class will also have a year of letting the world economy recover further.
Reply 183
Original post by sc82491
Another thing is that the higher employment statistic is over a longer duration, upto six months after the program ended. Around 50-60% is more consistent with the other timeframes. Our class will also have a year of letting the world economy recover further.

Right. MSc Management also states that 60% have two offers by the end of the program.
Reply 184
anyone knows if former students of this MSc were hired by Mck, BCG or Bain?
Cheers
Reply 185
Original post by bahbah
anyone knows if former students of this MSc were hired by Mck, BCG or Bain?
Cheers

I'll find out when they compile the numbers from last year. As someone currently attending the course I can tell you all three came for recruiting presentations (McKinsey apparently went light on the food compared to the others).

Also to give a general update the course is excellent so far. The material is really interesting, the courses are well laid out with a well structured schedul and most of it available digitally on your Imperial supplied iPads.

Biggest difference I noticed from BU were that the students are some of the most impressive people I've ever met. Many tended to have worked in finance or consulting before.

The only warning I will give you is that the course seems so new and innovative (the first of its kind that I am aware of) that employers seem a little unsure how to handle it and the 12 month schedule makes some banking internships complicated.

I have a feeling by next year (if not by the end of this year) the course will be a specific target of most consulting firms as they realize everyone is extensively screened to speak English and basically paying 20k+ to go through an extended version of basic consulting training.

Speaking to friends at other masters it seems like an excellent choice in hindsight.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 186
I'll find out when they compile the numbers from last year. As someone currently attending the course I can tell you all three came for recruiting presentations (McKinsey apparently went light on the food compared to the others).

Also to give a general update the course is excellent so far. The material is really interesting, the courses are well laid out with a well structured schedul and most of it available digitally on your Imperial supplied iPads.

Biggest difference I noticed from BU were that the students are some of the most impressive people I've ever met. Many tended to have worked in finance or consulting before.

The only warning I will give you is that the course seems so new and innovative (the first of its kind that I am aware of) that employers seem a little unsure how to handle it and the 12 month schedule makes some banking internships complicated.

I have a feeling by next year (if not by the end of this year) the course will be a specific target of most consulting firms as they realize everyone is extensively screened to speak English and basically paying 20k+ to go through an extended version of basic consulting training.

Speaking to friends at other masters it seems like an excellent choice in hindsight.

Hi
I'm thinking of applying for this for the coming year.

I assume you're all applying for jobs now - has the group in general been successful in getting through to the first rounds of consultancy jobs?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 187
Excellent question.

I am myself a little surprised by the answer. In one regards we have been very successful in that many have gotten interviews (Ir's impossible to know for sure as people don't openly discuss rejection, but it seems most who applied did). In another way not as much as most were offered interviews by one or two of the major consultancies, not all three.
Reply 188
Excellent question.

I am myself a little surprised by the answer. In one regards we have been very successful in that many have gotten interviews (Ir's impossible to know for sure as people don't openly discuss rejection, but it seems most who applied did). In another way not as much as most were offered interviews by one or two of the major consultancies, not all three.

Thanks for the information. Could I just ask if the success rates for the next tier of consultancies(eg Oliver Wyman, OC&C, Booz, Parthenon etc) are pretty good too?

It would be really interesting if you could also post a general update later on when offers have been handed out as I believe it's a two round of interviews process for most before offers are made..
Reply 189
Sure thing. Just be aware that the program doesn't determine success rate for offers, that is up to the individual. It just determines part of your chances of getting an interview.

I personally got invited to my first choice of firm for their test (MBB tier) along with a few others. I was invited to some of the second tier ones for exams, but didn't hear back from some others yet (Booz & Co, L.E.K) .

Speaking with people from other schools it seems that is typical. I've heard of, but do not know, one person at Oxford who got all three of the MBB.

A Bain chairman told me this is typical. Overall this program will not be what hinders you from getting an interview.

If you want to PM me and tell me what programs you are considering I'd be happy to comment on them off the record.
Reply 190
Sure thing. Just be aware that the program doesn't determine success rate for offers, that is up to the individual. It just determines part of your chances of getting an interview.

I personally got invited to my first choice of firm for their test (MBB tier) along with a few others. I was invited to some of the second tier ones for exams, but didn't hear back from some others yet (Booz & Co, L.E.K) .

Speaking with people from other schools it seems that is typical. I've heard of, but do not know, one person at Oxford who got all three of the MBB.

A Bain chairman told me this is typical. Overall this program will not be what hinders you from getting an interview.

If you want to PM me and tell me what programs you are considering I'd be happy to comment on them off the record.

Thanks again.
I'm busy at the moment but may PM you in a week or two if that's OK.
Reply 191
Yup no problem. I'll know a little more about my personal success by then as well.
Reply 192
Yup no problem. I'll know a little more about my personal success by then as well.

Hi

I've been away unexpectedly for some time but I'm still considering this course and consultancy as a career. Having read some of the threads on the consultancy forum, the selection process sometimes seems fairly arbitrary and there is no guarantee of success, although the posters may not be representative of the field in general.

You said earlier that you wouldn't mind posting a very general update on how successful your class has been with consultancy applications both with MBB and the smaller firms. Would you mind doing so?
Reply 193
No problem. Was successful with none of the small firms. 1 MBB interview and invite to test from Monitor (the etray excessive didn't work for anyone). Interviews with all of the big 4 I applied to and Accenture.

Once you have your interview it's up to you. Selection is essentially random from Oxbridge, LBS, UCL and Imperial for the MBB.

The program is also drastically improving. The new Dean is bringing in a lot of best practices from the US
Reply 194
No problem. Was successful with none of the small firms. 1 MBB interview and invite to test from Monitor (the etray excessive didn't work for anyone). Interviews with all of the big 4 I applied to and Accenture.

Once you have your interview it's up to you. Selection is essentially random from Oxbridge, LBS, UCL and Imperial for the MBB.

The program is also drastically improving. The new Dean is bringing in a lot of best practices from the US

Thank you!
Reply 195
Hello, everyone!

Is there anyone who received an offer recently for this program? I had an interview 10 days ago, still waiting for the reply. I am a bit scared whether I did well or not, I was so nervous and really unsure how was it.
Reply 196
Hi!

I just got an email saying I have an interview - could you tell me what questions they asked you?

And what is your background? (where & what you are studying?)

Thanks!!
Reply 197
Original post by Mlb90
Hi!

I just got an email saying I have an interview - could you tell me what questions they asked you?

And what is your background? (where & what you are studying?)

Thanks!!

Hey! I have applied for the same course. Just wanted to know how long it took for them to send the interview email. Thanks
Reply 198
About 5 weeks!
Reply 199
I do have to warn people considering taking this course.

It has been hell trying to get a job or internship if you need to be sponsored. Virtually no one wants to pay to sponsor you as they are only allowed to sponsor a limited number of people.

Anyone coming here should send an equal number of applications to their home country as to the UK if they are from outside the EU.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending