The Student Room Group

Imperial College MSc Economics & Strategy for Business (ESB)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by madcatmk3
I completely disagree with you about this one being more vague. The WBS course seems more focused on moving into finance. The ICBS seems far more focused on strategy consulting.

Do you have a business background? I'd argue that finance and accounting are a more powerful base than what Imperial is offering. If you did a business undergrad than Imperial offers a directional extension of your studies.

Yeah, I have a management degree. The thing is that it was very focused on management issues, rather than financial. As a result I don't have a solid base in the world of finance and economics. That is why I am a little bit afraid that Imperial course would be irrelevant for me, is it designed for people who are aware of economics and finance. What do you think?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by pit.klg
Yeah, I have a management degree. The thing is that it was very focused on management issues, rather than financial. As a result I don't have a solid base in the world of finance and economics. That is why I am a little bit afraid that Imperial course would be irrelevant for me, is it designed for people who are aware of economics and finance. What do you think?

I think your conclusion makes sense. My degree had a lot of finance and accounting in it.

On the other hand consider that it will likely not make a particular difference to employers.

Although what would you define as a solid base in finance? Can you do a DCF? Do you understand how financial markets work? Investment grade versus High Yield debt?
Reply 82
My interview is on the 30th of April.
I read all your replies and it feels that this interview is not the worst one could face for this kind of program.

Yet, I am not very confident about it. I have a background in finance and solid international exposure, but I feel that I might be lacking economics skills.
Anyone got insight on what I should focus on ?

Thank you all for your helpful replies !
Reply 83

Although what would you define as a solid base in finance? Can you do a DCF? Do you understand how financial markets work? Investment grade versus High Yield debt?

I basically understand these things, but I can't do DCF. Probably the best thing is to ask them straight away if I am skilled enough or not. Having an interview this Thursday. :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by pit.klg
I basically understand these things, but I can't do DCF. Probably the best thing is to ask them straight away if I am skilled enough or not. Having an interview this Thursday. :smile:

Then you seem to have enough of a base, although if you want to test your understanding feel free to message me and we can chat!

If you had said that you don't understand the concept of present value, then I would have cautioned you. A DCF can be learned relatively easily.

Good luck! The interview is very friendly.
Reply 85
Then you seem to have enough of a base, although if you want to test your understanding feel free to message me and we can chat!

If you had said that you don't understand the concept of present value, then I would have cautioned you. A DCF can be learned relatively easily.

Good luck! The interview is very friendly.

So did you make your final decision? Imperial?
Reply 86
How would you say financial markets work? How are they different from a normal commodity market? Closer to a free market? And obviously other products?
Reply 87
Original post by pit.klg
So did you make your final decision? Imperial?

I find out Friday if I get in I believe.

Original post by Primal
How would you say financial markets work? How are they different from a normal commodity market? Closer to a free market? And obviously other products?

Are you asking this as a true question or an add on to my statement about knowledge of finance?
Reply 88
I find out Friday if I get in I believe.

Are you asking this as a true question or an add on to my statement about knowledge of finance?

I'm asking as a true question. I'm holding a BSc in Economics, so my focus has always been very real economy oriented (monetary and fiscal policy's effect on the economy), and not so much about financial markets. I know quite a bit about fluctuations in exchange rates, forward markets and a bit about option markets, but I would imagine financial economics is larger than just that. I'm not asking you to elaborate on everything you have learned, just the major differences between the two, and some examples if you can be bothered :smile: Good luck with admission!!
Reply 89
Ah, no problem!
It varies with the product being sold. Usually based on the transparency of the product.

Only a few items are commoditized such as very high grade (AAA-AA) debt.

Arbitrage does keep the markets in line.

Financial markets are very very varied, so you'd need to look at a specific one for your question (Debt, Equity, Asset Backed, Derivatives ect). Asset classes are also all interrelated. So if yields are low in bonds people will tend to put their money in equities. In a way they are really nothing like commodity markets.

Market Realist . com has some very good market commentary if you are interested (in full disclosure I intern there).
Reply 90
When did they get in touch with you? I'v been scheduled today for 15-16, it is half past 3 now and there is still no call.
Reply 91
You mean call for interview or for decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by Prominent
You mean call for interview or for decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

False alarm :smile: They called me literally after I have posted my message :biggrin:

The overall impression about the interview is quite same with the previous mentioned - very friendly and quite informal environment.

I was asked the following questions:

- Tell me about yourself

- Why Imperial? Why this course?

- What is your short/long term career goals?

- What is your definition of a successful strategy?

- What do you think about the connection between EU crisis and regional monetary policy?

- If you could choose to be CEO of any company, which one would it be? Would you change anything to their strategy, and if yes, what and how would you change it?

- What challenges do you think can face rapidly growing China economy in next 10 years? How is it possible to solve them?

Hope it will be helpful :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 93
I had my interview on wednesday last week, still no response.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
I had my interview on wednesday last week, still no response.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The lady who I spoke with told me that they are going to meet in the beginning of the next week to discuss and make final decisions, and promised that we will be notified by the end of the week.
Reply 95
You mean by end of next week? And by the way when was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
You mean by end of next week? And by the way when was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The interview was today 3 hours ago. By the end of the next week :smile:
Reply 97
I got "by the end of next week" too. I didn't hear anything until Monday after the weekend, 3 days later than what was said. So just saying, you might ​have to wait 3 more days than you want.
Reply 98
Original post by Primal
I got "by the end of next week" too. I didn't hear anything until Monday after the weekend, 3 days later than what was said. So just saying, you might ​have to wait 3 more days than you want.

Let's wait and see what they say :smile: Thats everything we can do now. Btw, are you considering other universities and programmes?
Reply 99
Original post by pit.klg
Let's wait and see what they say :smile: Thats everything we can do now. Btw, are you considering other universities and programmes?

No, I'm paying my acceptance fee (£1995) tomorrow :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending