Is Royal Holloway & Egham really as bad as people make out??

Watch
J.G.M
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Okay, so i always liked the look of Royal Holloway, and after going to the open day yesterday i totally loved the place. Our guide was extremely friendly and seemed like she genuinely loved the place, and any other students or teachers we came across were equally friendly. The accommodation seemed fantastic, the newer buildings anyway - the rooms in founders where awful in my opinion - (i liked the way each floor had eight rooms, and that the other 7 people on your floor would likely become good friends). And the bedford library and other social areas seemed to have a great atmosphere, and the older styled library's seemed like a great place to do some tough studying, and on a whole the buildings (new and old) were all very impressive. I was almost certain this place was gonna be by first choice for sure.

But after getting home and looking at what other students thought of the place, i was shocked by the amount of negative comments. Such as how Egham is an incredibly boring and depressing place, some said theft was a big issue (i dont care if people on my floor take some food every now and then, but people were saying laptops were regularly being stolen), how the social facilities (medicine, SU) are totally rubbish, and that loads of students go home at the weekend leaving the place pretty much deserted, and my main issue is that people were saying other students arent atall friendly and all seem like zombies wondering around the grounds - the issues about library resources didnt really concern me as im wanting to take maths, and i doubt i'll need many books for that.

I know these bad comments may be exaggerated and its more likely people will comment about the bad points rather than the good points, but its really confused me as to whether this place is right for me or not

Anyway, i dont know whether to believe my impression of the place, or all these negative reviews ive been reading, so if any current/past students can offer some truly fair and honest input of Royal Holloway, i'd appreciate it
Jacker956
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
royal holloway looks kinda like Hogwarts, so basically people enjoy being wizards der, i hope dis helps
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's honestly not as bad as people make it out to be. I think people who label it 'bland' or 'boring' or 'depressing' had unrealistic expectations of what university life was going to be like.

RH has a good nightlife, and medicine/SU really aren't as rubbish as people like to believe. It's pretty decent. The uni itself is pretty small so that might be a shock to some people. Egham isn't lively, no, but Staines and Windsor are close by.

There are plenty of good points for RH that I can think of:
Accommodation is good. I've had no problems with toilets, sinks or even noise.
The people are almost always the same - you'll see the same people wherever you go and it really is like a community. You'll feel like you're a part of something.
The teaching itself is great. There aren't as many students per course when it comes to second and third year (for maths I think some of my lectures have about 30 people max, about the size of a gcse class) which really helps you concentrate.
It's reputation is decent, and you'll find it hard to stay unemployed for long depending on your degree.
Sammshine
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I completely agree with the above comment on RoHo. I really love the campus and atmosphere, especially down in Gowar and Wedder, it's like a little village.
There's always something on at the SU, comedy nights and the usual wednesday and friday themed club nights. Plus there are plenty of pubs on the green and in Egham. A lot of my flatmates go into London clubbing, sometimes twice a week on the organised coaches that are advertised on facebook.
The only people I've heard about having laptop and stuff stolen have been really irresponsible with their belongings. Where I'm living next year on the green has so far (touch wood!) been a really safe area with no break ins etc and the only people I've heard of having 'break ins' have admitted to leaving doors or windows unlocked, which I think sort of answers the 'how did that happen?' question.
University life is what you make it, and I'm personally out every night (except when it's deadline week) whether it's fencing or polo club socials, SU nights, the pub or just film nights with friends there's loads to do, just get involved!
Good luck with everything!
ArnaudBB
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm in total agreement with the two previous posts - all aspects of the uni are great whether you're looking for a part time job on campus, looking for good athletic opportunities, amazing nights out on campus, nearby or even the clubs in london. And although
it really is like a community
and you see almost always the same people, I myself (and many others I know on campus) have gotten to know different people almost everyday! So it's not too small

Aside from that it's pretty safe - I don't know of any major safety issues on or around campus though obviously the occasional cheese does goes missing - but that happens everywhere :P

Hopefully you will come to RHUL and if you do, I'm pretty sure you will have a great time with all the opportunities the Uni has to offer
P.h.o.e.n.i.x.y
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by J.G.M)
Okay, so i always liked the look of Royal Holloway, and after going to the open day yesterday i totally loved the place. Our guide was extremely friendly and seemed like she genuinely loved the place, and any other students or teachers we came across were equally friendly. The accommodation seemed fantastic, the newer buildings anyway - the rooms in founders where awful in my opinion - (i liked the way each floor had eight rooms, and that the other 7 people on your floor would likely become good friends). And the bedford library and other social areas seemed to have a great atmosphere, and the older styled library's seemed like a great place to do some tough studying, and on a whole the buildings (new and old) were all very impressive. I was almost certain this place was gonna be by first choice for sure.

But after getting home and looking at what other students thought of the place, i was shocked by the amount of negative comments. Such as how Egham is an incredibly boring and depressing place, some said theft was a big issue (i dont care if people on my floor take some food every now and then, but people were saying laptops were regularly being stolen), how the social facilities (medicine, SU) are totally rubbish, and that loads of students go home at the weekend leaving the place pretty much deserted, and my main issue is that people were saying other students arent atall friendly and all seem like zombies wondering around the grounds - the issues about library resources didnt really concern me as im wanting to take maths, and i doubt i'll need many books for that.

I know these bad comments may be exaggerated and its more likely people will comment about the bad points rather than the good points, but its really confused me as to whether this place is right for me or not

Anyway, i dont know whether to believe my impression of the place, or all these negative reviews ive been reading, so if any current/past students can offer some truly fair and honest input of Royal Holloway, i'd appreciate it

I really liked RHUL when I went there for an Open Day. I liked the atmosphere and the environment. I hope I'm not deceived in any way. haha. Still deciding whether to put it down as one of my choices. If I ever get there, hopefully it's not as bad as it is described by other students.
lizzymc134
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've just started at RHUL this year, so hopefully can help a little.
Honestly, Egham itself is a little quiet. The students outnumber the permanent residents. We're not a city, fine, and you don't step outside your door and find yourself in central London. Right now, it's chucking it down with rain, and I'm enjoying a view of the bins. It's clear which departments the university favours, and it's clear senior management couldn't give a toss about the students. The most happening place in Egham is Tesco, and even that's a 15 minute walk away.
However, EVERY UNI HAS NEGATIVES! I live in Reid (not the best accommodation, granted), but have made the most amazing friends. My course tutors know me personally and know enough about me to be able to help. They're approachable and know exactly what they're talking about. The SU and Medicine are miles better than SUs at other universities. From my experience, the ULU's pretty good, but the individual London unions aren't as good as RHUL's, and people avoid the SU altogether at many other unis. Windsor's only 10 minutes or so away by cab, costs us £2.50 each to get there, and there're a few clubs there (it's rumoured Prince Harry goes out there. We're still waiting to actually see him though) As someone else mentioned, there are club nights in London organised, where you can get some pretty good deals including transport there and back. The local pubs know they're catering to a bunch of students, so they run nights for us. As well as that, there's always something happening or something to do in the day. Yes, a lot of people go home at weekends, because RHUL is so central, and, let's face it, if you can get home and enjoy mum's cooking every week, why wouldn't you?! Staines is nearby if you want to go shopping, go for a meal with your housemates, or, shock horror, get a job. Windsor has some pretty decent shops too, amazing charity shops if you're interested in that. London's not that far away (better than where I'm from anyway), we've got some beautiful areas, and such a community feeling. Really you're only bored here if you choose to be. Bring a guitar or something and you'll never be bored.
I will warn you though, drinks here are more expensive than at other unis, it is very arts- and management-focussed, so not sure how the maths dept does, and to be honest, so many people come here with an unrealistic idea of what uni will be like. You honestly will not be going out every night and rolling up to lectures smashed at any uni. RHUL is moving up the rankings, you get a good education here, enjoy the UoL benefits (ULU entrance anyone? UoL degree? SWEET), and still get to be in a beautiful, safe area. I've not heard of anyone losing anything other than a bit of food (the worst we've had was me dropping my phone in the SU) Not having loads of clubs here means you get to know everyone pretty well, cos everyone goes out to the SU. You can go out without plans to meet anyone, and find most of your friends there. I love it here. And if nothing else, not having the clubs on your doorstep means you're probably going to actually pass your degree! I hope we do see you here
keepinorder
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hey,
how far is stained from egham, is it quite a treck getting their? also 2rd and 3rd years we'll have to rent out, is it hard to find decent places and is it then a bit of a pain travelling back to the uni? thanks
quixoticduck
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by keepinorder)
hey,
how far is stained from egham, is it quite a treck getting their? also 2rd and 3rd years we'll have to rent out, is it hard to find decent places and is it then a bit of a pain travelling back to the uni? thanks
Most people live really near to campus (in comparison to other Uni's I know of anyways). My friends at Sussex and brother at Kent get the bus to Uni and I didn't know many people if any who did that at RHUL but if you did live in Staines or somewhere (most don't) you would likely want to.
llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by keepinorder)
hey,
Stained. Love it.

From campus, it's a fifteen minute walk to the train station, and Staines is a five minute train journey away, so very close by and not much of a trek.

It's very easy to find a house in the local area, either in Egham or Englefield Green, and houses can be anywhere between a twenty minute walk to campus to literally a minute or two. But, generally, it's very easy to find a house close to campus.
toastehmonstah
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by llacerta)
Stained. Love it.

From campus, it's a fifteen minute walk to the train station, and Staines is a five minute train journey away, so very close by and not much of a trek.

It's very easy to find a house in the local area, either in Egham or Englefield Green, and houses can be anywhere between a twenty minute walk to campus to literally a minute or two. But, generally, it's very easy to find a house close to campus.
*Staines-On-Thames, I think you'll find
llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by toastehmonstah)
*Staines-On-Thames, I think you'll find
I refuse to call it that...I mean, seriously? They've basically changed the name to "there's a stain on the Thames" (which is quite accurate, to be fair, haha.)
jackf1337
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've never had anything to do with Royal Holloway, but from the experience of applying to uni twice and researching several aspects of them in detail, I can safely say...

You will hear negative and positive comments about every aspect of any given university, often contradictory.

The most important thing is to make your own judgement based on visiting the places you've applied to, and to firm it because YOU like it, not decline your offer because other people don't like it.
toastehmonstah
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by llacerta)
I refuse to call it that...I mean, seriously? They've basically changed the name to "there's a stain on the Thames" (which is quite accurate, to be fair, haha.)
Staines-on-the-Landscape, maybe :P
swarfliam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's what you make of it, i think the social life is great, but that's just me. For others, if you're expecting a crazy nightlife, you won't find it here.
woodian
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ive firmed and insured royal holloway and tbh, i completely agree with it being what you make of it, however, i liked it for another reason... you can choose whether its busy or not, my other major contenders were oxford (too quiet) and westminister (too busy) royal holloway is a mixture of the both, you have the london nightlife and quiet places when you need to do work or just need some peace...
Bokkex
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I firmed Rhul (Geology) and i'm praying i pass my exams. That uni is just incredible !! And while i dont buy into the whole 30min from london stories , i did find the train station easily enough after my interview , Egham is perfectly placed to go home to wales via reading or to go london .
Adamcfc
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I grew up in Egham, I dont know much about the Uni as im in year 12 and in bournemouth now! But i can tell you a bit about the town.

Its not as depressingly boring as people think, theres a number of pubs, bars, and restaurants in the high street, and often a fair amount of people out on friday and saturday nights ( not sure about numbers of students though ). The surrounding area is beautiful and relatively peaceful, and easy to find quiet areas nearby.

Staines is where its all going on, you could cycle there from the Uni in probably 10-15 minutes and there are regular buses.

And of course, egham has a Dominoes Pizza branch, so what more could you want
Axtrate
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by J.G.M)

It's amazing. :holmes:
swarfliam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bokkex)
I firmed Rhul (Geology) and i'm praying i pass my exams. That uni is just incredible !! And while i dont buy into the whole 30min from london stories , i did find the train station easily enough after my interview , Egham is perfectly placed to go home to wales via reading or to go london .
Haha, once you learn the route you can walk from the back gate of the Uni to the train station in 10 minutes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (632)
33.53%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (794)
42.12%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (374)
19.84%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.51%

Watched Threads