This discussion is closed.
Gemmaxex
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello all. Just quick question. Anyone here a pediatric nurse with tattoos? Or know of any? Visable tattoos? Anyone know hull university's rules on it specifically? Thanks!
Rhi_Chemo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hey I looked on the internet and found the NHS code of dress for nurses
http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/do...rch%202010.pdf

It basically says you can have them and they can be visable however must be covered up if they are excessive or could be viewed as offensive.
Hope this helps
Pink84
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Each trust has got their own policies on tattoos and uniforms etc, Unis seem to be more bothered about them than the NHS i.e covering them up etc, I have got one on my wrist and was told as long as it isn't offensive or religious (which it isn't) then it will be fine x
Gemmaxex
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ah thank you I have been looking online and loads of mixed answers. I have one on each wrist and one on hand and one on finger. None offensive. I want to do child nursing so much I'm considering getting them removed. Young and stupid getting them anyway, just don't want anything ruining my chances!
alicexo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am doing adult nursing at DMU and have a tattoo on each wrist and one on my hand and there's not been any problems with them yet, although i only started in january so not been on a placement yet, but can't see it being a problem.
Shockolate
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a tattoo that starts on my wrist and goes up to my elbow, and I've never had any problems with it in uni or on placement. All I've heard from members of staff and patients is 'that's a lovely tattoo, when did you get it done?' etc. I think the general rule is that as long as it isn't anything offensive, it's okay, though uniform and appearance rules vary between trusts. In my trust I think they are supposed to be covered up when possible but they are acceptable. I know a few people in the children's cohort with tattoos and as far as I know they haven't had any problems. From what I've seen they are quite relaxed in the nhs about tattoos, private placements may have different views though.
User257034
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i would never employee anybody if i could see a tatoo.
MrsJ
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good thing you won't be employing us then lol
Pixie24
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm so glad I found this thread. I am doing an access to nursing course this sept and I am hoping to go to UNi to do midwifery. I was so worried about my tattoos. I wanna be a midwife that I am going to look into having some of them removed, I have one on my wrist, finger and forearm. I'm glad to see some people in the same boat.
amyfairy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hey, id already had two tattoos on my wrist before i realised how silly i was. Now my career path is midwifery and i find myself in a dilemma. Some people are saying that tattoos on midwifes are fine as long as they are not offensive, however due to the fact a few have comment that tattoos will not be tolerated by employers, i carnt help but feel i may have to have them removed. its writing on each wrist. it is noticeable. i either pay to have them removed or i pay for not having them removed by going for job interviews and risking it. Are there any midwifes with wrist tattoos in this forum?
Shockolate
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by amyfairy)
hey, id already had two tattoos on my wrist before i realised how silly i was. Now my career path is midwifery and i find myself in a dilemma. Some people are saying that tattoos on midwifes are fine as long as they are not offensive, however due to the fact a few have comment that tattoos will not be tolerated by employers, i carnt help but feel i may have to have them removed. its writing on each wrist. it is noticeable. i either pay to have them removed or i pay for not having them removed by going for job interviews and risking it. Are there any midwifes with wrist tattoos in this forum?
I've met a few midwives with tattoos. I also know loads of nurses with tattoos, including senior staff and managers. Have you just started your course? If so I'd see how staff react to them whilst you are on placement - if you get a lot of negative comments then consider getting them removed before you qualify. If you do keep them just wear a long sleeved blazer/blouse at interviews (even if employers are okay with tattoos I find it's best not to advertise them at interviews lol), most will be fine once you start working, as frankly there's more important things for managers to worry about than their employees having tattoos.
Xbamxxbamx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a sleeve on my left arm. It doesn't affect my ability to be an amazing midwife. And as long as its covered for interviews,I don't think once ur employed it really matters as long as you're amazing at what you do. My midwife I had was covered,never changed my opinion on her as a midwife. I'm not judgemental though. I'm sure the tattoos on ur wrist will be fine just cover them for interviews maybe if u are worried

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
amyfairy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey, thanks for replying to me post :-) im going on an access course to nursing and midwifery next year so im thinking about everything before i go. My friend also recommended i wait until university placements to see how people reacted, however for piece of mind i may probably just have the main one removed. its black writing of a small medium size with hand-prints and footprints. When i hear about those working as nurses and midwives with tattoos, it gives me the impression that they may have got them after they got their job. I just worry because i know how competitive this industry is, how everyones trying to get noticed and i dont want to miss out x
Xbamxxbamx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't change who u are. I've asked on a study day before and as long as they are covered for interview. Afterwards shouldn't matter. They wernt bothered by mine on the access course. And iv got one on my wrist aswell. And iv got bright orange hair. If they like you're personality at the interview and u come across as wonder ful,Ul be fine my midwife was covered in tattoos and she got accepted for u I and jobs fine try not to get yourself down about it. As long as u are prepared in ur mind for interviews. Ul be fine x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are loads of nursing and midwifery staff with tattoos, don't worry about it. As long as they're not offensive or anything daft like that tool who went on Jeremy Kyle with a skull for a face then it should be fine. Having body art does not make any difference to the ability and professionalism of someone imo. (Obviously there's safety issues with various piercings and the like). I didn't even notice if any of the midwives who delivered my daughter had tattoos, couldn't have cared less, I was more bothered they knew what they were doing, which of course they did.

I even know of a few nurses and other hospital staff who have full sleeves.
amyfairy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks everyone for your replys, they are very helpful i missed the tool with the skull tattoo lol! x
amskiicooper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am so happy i found this!! I start and access course in September to go into nursing and i have a tattoo from my wrist to my elbow, and on my other warm my shoulder down to my lower bicep, this makes me feel so much calmer about the whole tattoo 'debate'
StudentNurse82
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am in my second year of an Adult Nursing degree and so far I have had a mixed reaction to my tattoos. All my community placements have been fine with my 3/4 sleeve and wrist tattoos but my hospital placements have caused me a lot of trouble. I have had to cover up my arm underneath my uniform to my elbow and have bare forearms due to infection control. However, I seem to always be the center of debate with all levels of staff on my wards, corridors and visits to other wards. All I want to do is keep my head down and get my nursing experience but unfortunately staff seem to struggle to get past my tattoos and do not see me as more than ´the student with the tattoos´. It is very frustrating and does make me worried I won´t get a job as a nurse when I qualify. There are porters, doctors and nurses who all have tattoos but don´t seem to get bullied/discriminated or whatever you call it like I do. It makes me feel sad that a national institution that prides itself on its staff being non discriminatory or prejudice to it´s patients cannot apply the same principles to its staff.
07gemtho
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm At UEA and there are a couple of us with visible tattoos. I think there general rule is that they are not to be encouraged, however, if you have any it is ok as long as they aren't offensive. Hope this helps, but we are adult feild 😊
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I could care less when a student nurse, a nurse or even surgeons or doctors wear (visible) tattoos, as long as they are good in their job, that is the main point, that should be the main point for every one of us. Although I have not met a student nurse with a tattoo yet, I stick to it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (201)
18.75%
Labour (554)
51.68%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.43%
Green Party (59)
5.5%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.59%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)