Where would you rather study? New York City or California?

Watch
ConstantThinker
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I dno wether to go to new york city or california to study for a year. It's so hard to choose between because they both have equal advantages and disadvantages. New York City is a better place to make connections and maybe even get a job placement wherea California is a beautiful place and has such a lovely environment. If you took your second year of study abroad which place would you go, NYC or California?
FinanceStudent28
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ConstantThinker)
I dno wether to go to new york city or california to study for a year. It's so hard to choose between because they both have equal advantages and disadvantages. New York City is a better place to make connections and maybe even get a job placement wherea California is a beautiful place and has such a lovely environment. If you took your second year of study abroad which place would you go, NYC or California?
What are you studying?

Which school is in NYC?

Which school is in California?
Herr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ConstantThinker)
Depends on what you're studying and where you're planning to study.

But as a whole I highly doubt it's true with regards to lesser advantages in California for job placements, there are plenty just not the same type as you'd find in NYC..... also something to consider NYC job placements are often tremendously competitive with many of them you need to pay a charitable donation in order to participate in one where those in California would be paid minimum wage at least or if it didn't pay at least it won't charge.
rhaldud
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Considering that California is a huge state, where exactly in California? Big cities like San Francisco and LA or smaller cities like Sacramento?

My sister attends NYU right now and she loves the city. The only problem is that the living cost is really high. But then again, if you're used to the prices in London, I don't think that it'll be too much of a problem.

If you wanted to live in California, you would definitely need a car. There is practically no public transportation which is somewhat of a bother. On the other hand, New York has the taxis, subways, etc.

As a Californian I would say that California would be a better bet. The job prospects depend on what kind of job you want. But in a city like LA or SF, I'm sure that there are tons of job prospects anyways.

I hope this helps!
FightOn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As other people mentioned, what schools are you considering/ what are you studying? As well as Northern California or Southern California?

I go to the University of Southern California and grew up in Northern California (so my views may be a bit biased) You mentioned that NYC is better for connections and California is beautiful, and that is somewhat true. Really your personality and the school you go to is where to make connections. If you are randomly walking down the streets of NY or somewhere in CA chances are you won't be making connections with anyone. But if you're meeting with people from industry or professors within a school or a school related function, or job related function then either NY and CA offers countless networking opportunities. With respect to being a beautiful place, both NY and CA have pros and cons. The city of LA for instance, is not the prettiest place. But it is near to beaches and mountains to offer hiking or countless outdoor activities. NY city is a nicer city than LA, but if you want the same sense of the outdoors you would have to travel to Jersey or go to upstate NY.

Now for my opinion on what's a better place to study. If you are studying business, or finance, or investment banking or anything of that sort, New York is DEFINITELY better than California by any means. With wall street and a lot of businesses headquartered in NYC, more opportunities and connections could arise studying in NY (not saying the same opportunities don't exist in California). If you're studying some sort of science or engineering, California is a lot better than NYC. There are a bunch of aerospace companies based in Southern California, and a ton of Computer Science/ Electrical Engineering based companies in Silicon Valley (Northern California). If you're studying film/theater/music... then Los Angeles may be better than NYC. And if you're studying anything else, it's a toss up between the two.

Really it depends on what school you plan to study at, and where you feel the most comfortable, and where you can make the best of your time in the states.
LethalXGhost
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
California.

UC Berkeley.

Berkeley is such a cool place.
ConstantThinker
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by FinanceStudent28)
What are you studying?

Which school is in NYC?

Which school is in California?
I'll be studying Graphic Design at California State University San Marcos or Fashion Institute of Technology NYC
Acerbic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
NYC
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
california for me. the beautiful place factor swings it for me, what a great opportunity
victoryshinesonus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
California - less likely to witness another 9/11. If you value life, go to California, less likelihood of getting obliterated
AcesLacy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
California!
jordanlulin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
internal design pratt in nyucla in ca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (494)
33.56%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (610)
41.44%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (300)
20.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.62%

Watched Threads