The Student Room Group
I think a mature student is anyone who isn't going to uni straight from school (or straight after a gap year). Definitions vary, but I'd say anyone under 21 probably wouldn't count as a mature student. Admission requirements are much looser for mature students, but some evidence of ability to study at higher ed level is still required (that might be from professional experience rather than Access course or "A" Levels necessarily).
I meant to add that it also depends on the course you're applying for as to how much GCSEs/A Levels matter.
Reply 3
thekell
What is a mature student, and what is actually required from someone who is going to apply for a uni course say law, do you not need any GCSE´S or A levels?

over 21 aparently.
Reply 4
El Scotto

over 21 aparently.
:ditto:
that's the 'legal' definition: starting undergrad over 21
If you haven't got any formal qualifications or the ones you have are particularly poor, and you aren't doing an Access Course then you'd need some sort of proof of your capabilities, whether that be in your career or otherwise. You can get into uni with just GCSEs but you'd need to show that you are up to a degree and the work it entails.

Latest

Trending

Trending