Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well each to their own i just dont want to take it thats all

ReputationRep:
    I dont hold that against you at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inclination)
    Regarding the effects of E: potential risks include the swelling of the brain, collapse, coma, and death. Sounds lovely. http://www.brookes.ac.uk/health/libra/ecstasy.html! It's a British site too, if you please.

"Some research suggests brain damage and liver damage. Some research discounts this. It’s difficult to provide clear information when different pills contain different chemicals. The truth is, no-one knows for sure whether E is harmful in the long term." - I think you mean to say that potential risks may include etc.

I'm going to carry on using the odd pill and a bit of weed and enjoy what life I've got, rather than sitting at home drinking Evian, eating seeds for every meal and doing yoga.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverMindThat)
    You realise that Leah banks DID NOT DIE from taking ecstasy. She died from water poisioning as a DIRECT result of all the scare tactics about dehydration in the media. Had the government and media been more honest about the dangers of dehydratiuon (ie that you should not drink any more water than normal, just remember to drink that much), Leah would be alive. She died because she drank several litres of water and alcohol without peeing, and it caused her organs to swell.

Try drinking several litres of water without peeing, ecstasy or not, you WILL die.

Using cases like this as scare tactics is entirely dishonest.

EDIT: On closer inspection even the article you linked to makes this point! The author goes on to say that a high number of "legitimate" activities are more risky than ecstasy (such as fishing)! He also links Leahs death to tabloid and school scare tactics resulting in over consumption of water. I love it, even the evidence you cite supports my argument.
    I know the article makes the point, I did read the article. However I was tryin to point to the fact that she died from an indirect problem of the drug, presumable she had heard that she needed to be kept dehydrated while on E and drank herself to death because of the effect of ecstacy making her overheat, sweat etc. Drugs arent as clean cut as knowing the facts, there are many other things that can interact with them, and our bodies reactions arent always the same.. You can know everything to know but there is still a risk, and Its a risk most people just arent prepared to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy)
    But i dont want to take something that may kill me, or do you find that weird? I dont want to take stuff to make me completely lose control thank you very much
    You are no less in control than under the influence of caffeine. Im assuming you dont drink because alcohol leaves you far less in control. Caffeine may kill you, in fact its worse for you (especially your heart). Your argument lacks consistancy. Caffeine is just as bad and yet you admit to using Pro-plus, which many consider a very very bad idea for your health.

http://www.brantleycenter.com/fad/caffeine.html

Sounds Incredibly scary. Worse than E to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    I know the article makes the point, I did read the article. However I was tryin to point to the fact that she died from an indirect problem of the drug, presumable she had heard that she needed to be kept dehydrated while on E and drank herself to death because of the effect of ecstacy making her overheat, sweat etc. Drugs arent as clean cut as knowing the facts, there are many other things that can interact with them, and our bodies reactions arent always the same.. You can know everything to know but there is still a risk, and Its a risk most people just arent prepared to take.

So you dont drink alcohol or caffeine or eat chocolate I hope, as they are all "drugs" (or in chocolates case, contain drugs).

are you a boy or girl and what i think is you should party drink and dance

ReputationRep:
    So you dont drink alcohol or caffeine or eat chocolate I hope, as they are all "drugs" (or in chocolates case, contain drugs).
    Yes they are all drugs, But again these are mainstream foods and drinks, with vast amount of retail information and most importantly of all not Class A Illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    Yes they are all drugs, But again these are mainstream foods and drinks, with vast amount of retail information and most importantly of all not Class A Illegal.

Follow the link I posted. There have been very few studies into the longterm effects of heavy caffeine use. What information there is, isnt good.
    There is a huge amount of study into the long term effects of ecstasy on the other hand, precisely because it is an illegal drug.

Your argument has receeded to "there is less information about ecstasy" which is an inherently weak position; there is masses of information about ecstasy and it is commonly accepted that sensibly used small doses infrequently will not harm you.

ReputationRep:
    You are no less in control than under the influence of caffeine. Im assuming you dont drink because alcohol leaves you far less in control. Caffeine may kill you, in fact its worse for you (especially your heart). Your argument lacks consistancy. Caffeine is just as bad and yet you admit to using Pro-plus, which many consider a very very bad idea for your health.

http://www.brantleycenter.com/fad/caffeine.html

Sounds Incredibly scary. Worse than E to be honest.
    I do drink yes, ok maybe red bull and pro plus isnt good for me but its still legal unlike E and doesnt have the potential to kill me instantly. I dont drink coffee or coke so its the only caffeine i consume and its every day i go raving, usually about twice a month

ReputationRep:
    i do the champagne. it works and it's nice.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for people who dont drink or do drugs, because some day they will be lying on a hospital bed, dying, and they wont know why.

ReputationRep:
    Try drinking several litres of water without peeing, ecstasy or not, you WILL die.
    Like I do every single day, you mean? :confused:

As far as I know it just keeps my skin perfect, but hey...

ReputationRep:
    You dont pee every single day?
    Perfect skin but a somewhat pregnant looking stomach I imagine.

Illegality is not a condition of morality. If the government made caffeine illegal, reading the link above, Im sue many people wouldnt touch it.
    Parliametary sovereignty means that Parliament can pass whatever legislation it likes (so long as the H of L concurs - although they are very reluctant to intervene in matters of Public Safety).

Ecstasy does not have the ability to kill you instantly. From the research I have done on the net it appears that there has only be one death due to MDMA. The rest are all related to the taking of MDMA (in pill format): i.e. drinking excessive water. Again though, misinformation kills! If you research a drug thoroughly before you take it, you know what it's going to do to you, you know what could go wrong, and you know how to stop this happening, then there are no problems.

If people want to kill their brain cells, that should be their prerogative.

ReputationRep:
    Follow the link I posted. There have been very few studies into the longterm effects of heavy caffeine use. What information there is, isnt good.
    There is a huge amount of study into the long term effects of ecstasy on the other hand, precisely because it is an illegal drug.

Your argument has receeded to "there is less information about ecstasy" which is an inherently weak position; there is masses of information about ecstasy and it is commonly accepted that sensibly used small doses infrequently will not harm you.
    Well Its a good thing I dont drink coffee and have given up chocolate for lent. All Im trying to say is that there are just some effects that are unknown with ecstacy, and just that knowing the facts isnt always enough But I concur that link does show some interesting information.

ReputationRep:
    The point I'm trying to make is that the arguments used against ecstasy are mostly spin, and an be applied to most legal acceptable 'drugs' without any difficulty. There HAVE been deaths from caffeine overdose for example, but the people who died were idiots. I am not really saying don't touch caffeine, I am saying don't dismiss E out of hand simply because the media (and not the scientists) spin tells you to.

Feel free to avoid illegal drugs because: a)breaking the law is bad or b) the consequences of being caught are bad (albeit unlikely) or c) you are a zen buddhist who only eats lettuce and sunshine. However please do not claim taking E in small quantities infrequently and sensibly is "extremely dangerous" or "inherently stupid", as the facts, studies and truth simply don't back you up. And E IS more fun than alcohol. If nothing else you can remember everything the next day, and you don't lose control at all.

ReputationRep:
    just get drunk :p:

ReputationRep:
    drunk = hangover < come down.

You realise that Leah banks DID NOT DIE from taking ecstasy. She died from water poisioning as a DIRECT result of all the scare tactics about dehydration in the media. Had the government and media been more honest about the dangers of dehydratiuon (ie that you should not drink any more water than normal, just remember to drink that much), Leah would be alive. She died because she drank several litres of water and alcohol without peeing, and it caused her organs to swell.
    Not true!

I have spoken to her step-father, Paul Betts about the media stories saying what you have just said.

He got very angry and commented that they did not have the post mortem results that he and Leah's mother had.

She died because her brain stem pierced her brain as a result of the effects of taking ectasy that was contaminated.

You should have attended one of his lectures that he presented at schools all over the British mainland. You might even have learnt something that might save you life in the future. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Since noone sensible buys from someone on the street (or even worse In the club!), there is always an opportunity to test before you buy (testing takes a tiny sliver). If the dealer refuses to allow this, then I don't buy. If he allows it and the test shows anything other than MDMA, I don't buy. Caveat Emptor indeed, but easily doable.
    i've bought pills in vclubs before =/

most clubs have a string of dealers operating in the vacinity, if they're connected with the clubs owner then you aint got a problem, and the pills you'll get from them will be fine. Also helps to look at the dealers eye, if they're on it they're good.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.