Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=138117

ReputationRep:
    How is taking an interest in someone's background racism? :confused: Do people think it's only 'people of colour' who are asked where they're from? Or is it only racism if someone caucasian asks someone who isn't that question? It's not always obvious just from the colour of their skin or their accent where a person's from, particularly in a society as multi-cultural as ours, so how can people be expected to just know without asking?

And what does it matter? Would you object to someone asking what your favourite food is or what music you like? Chances are, if they're asking whereabouts you're from, they're just interested in finding out more about you.

ReputationRep:
    Someone once asked me what the weather in Dubai was like :eek: while another once said “ but aren’t you Pakistani? :hmmm:

I’m not even Asian :rolleyes: so stop assuming :mad:

But I don’t find it racist - because I do look foreign.

ReputationRep:
    Ummm........this ticks me off too, you should see the confused look on peoples faces when I tell them that i'm originally from Leeds!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBGirl)
    Ummm........this ticks me off too, you should see the confused look on peoples faces when I tell them that i'm originally from Leeds!!!
    Are there really that many people who are confused by that? I think most of us have got round to the idea that a vast number of ethnic minority folks were born in this country.

My Grandpa is really bad about it because he hasn't quite managed to grasp that yet, but if I ever asked it (and it wouldn't be on the first time of meeting someone) then it would just be curiosity about your background, rather than racism :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    After many cities not wanting to offend other cultures by putting up Xmas lights.

After hearing that the Birmingham council changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered.

After hearing of a Primary School in Birmingham where a boy was told that for PE they could wear Football League shirts (Aston Villa, Birmingham, West Brom etc) but NOT an England shirt as it could offend others!

This prompted the editorial below written by a UK citizen. Published in a British tabloid newspaper.

Quote: IMMIGRANTS, NOT BRITON'S, MUST ADAPT.

Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on London, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Brits. However, the dust from the attacks has barely settled and the "politically correct" crowd begin complaining about the possibility that our patriotism is offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Britain. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of London being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity.

As Britons, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of wars, struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language! "In God We Trust" is our National Motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture. If St. George's cross offends you, or you don't
    like "A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great British freedom, "THE RIGHT TO LEAVE". If you aren't happy here then f#@* off! We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted. Pretty easy really when you think about it.
    ^^
    agreed.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by poser)
    ^^
    agreed.
    I thought you said they were British? Last time I checked, "In God we trust" was the motto of the USA ^o)

EDIT: Nor were we founded by Christians. That, AGAIN is the Americans, if it can be said to be anyone at all. If this guy really is a product of our education system, I'm frankly horrified. And that's coming from someone who never paid much attention in history herself :confused:

ReputationRep:
    it's a bit cruel to say it's out of ignorance or racism. If you have an accent or look foreign then the person who's asking about you may just want to get to know you better or have a point to start a conversation with you. I'm white, but people ask me all the time if I'm not from here (accent) and I don't mind, it's a good conversation started.

If you're not white and have an accent, or even don't have an accent then maybe someone just wants to know about you're background?

ReputationRep:
    If I asked where a black man is from it isn't racist. For example, a white man who speaks with a foreign accent I might ask "Where are you from?" That isn't racist...

However, if I went "You pakistani! LOL" then yes that is racist.

ReputationRep:
    im chinese but i wouldnt consider it at all racist if someone asked where i was from. im actually quite flattered - anyone chance to talk about myself lol

ReputationRep:
    Im white and british but I still get those questions, I was once even asked if I have a work permit when applying for a job! I dont think its racist just some people are ignorant and assume everyone with dark hair/eyes cannot be british.

ReputationRep:
    Im mixed, its not racist but i kinda get shocked it takes me by suprise because i've lived in the same place all my life and you don't feel any different from anyone else (virtually no ethnic mniroties where i live). It makes me feel uncomfortable because it singles me out while im aware it probably isn't racist, it just makes me feel a bit singled out. Its the most annoying when someone doesnt say where are you from, but what countr yare you from so annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I hate when people stare. And when people 'assume' that I'm this or that...
    But it's hardly racist.

However, the bloke who shouted 'oi you paki' might have been.
    I'm not even pakistani.

ReputationRep:
    i found it wierd when you've seen someones face for years more or less grew up near them and they come and ask what country im from ...im like....here? grew up near you lol ? its quite funny some remarks you get.

i dont think its racist at all.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't racist at all.

I have an English accent but have lived in Scotland all my life. It gets wearisome having to explain to people that I've always lived here but it's not exactly HARD to put up with! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Over use of the word rasicm pisses me off.

Anyway, i often ask that question to be simply because of how multicultural london (or britain) is, i only have 2 completly english friends, and personally i find it really interesting to find out where people are from, what is like etc.

I recently got asked a question buy a man on the way to school in italien, because he presumed i was italien because of my looks, despite being russian, he got abit confused.

Similarly i would ask a white blond, fair, blue eyed person if they were scandinavian in decent simply because of looks, is that rasict?

I often ask people this question and I wouldn't consider it racist. It interests me to find out where others are from. Maybe because my parents are from Spanish/Cuban and Irish descent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poser)
    As Britons, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of wars, struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language! "In God We Trust" is our National Motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture. If St. George's cross offends you, or you don't
    like "A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great British freedom, "THE RIGHT TO LEAVE". If you aren't happy here then f#@* off! We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted. Pretty easy really when you think about it.

^^
    agreed.
    so as a brit [with an 1/8 of german], who is also an atheist, where am i to go?

anyone who is not interested in changes in culture is stuck in the past and really quite ignorant

oh and within the british isles we also speak welsh and gaelic

so let me think..... that article is a complete and utter pile of sh*te and anyone who agrees with it should b*gger off with Kilroy

ReputationRep:
    also... im caucasian and people ask me where im from... so is that racist?

ReputationRep:
    What the hell?!?!? This is just stupid!! It's just something you say, you don;t have to be *of colour* to get asked that!! Someone needs to look up racism...

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.