Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by *Katie*)
    I think it does make you feel a little more like an outsider when you're in a group, and you hear someone say to one individual 'where are you from?'
    and then 10 minutes later they ask you 'what country are you from?'
    Yep, thankyou Katie.

You're a very understanding and nice member, when I'm not anonymous I will try and rep you babe

ReputationRep:
    General question. Why is it that so many random things these days seems to be deemed either sexist or racist in someway?

(Original post by hitmanuk2k)
    General question. Why is it that so many random things these days seems to be deemed either sexist or racist in someway?
    Because they are? How would you feel if someone were to say that you were no good because of where they THOUGHT you were from?

Answer that before you make a judgement on what we believe is not on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Because they are? How would you feel if someone were to say that you were no good because of where they THOUGHT you were from?

Answer that before you make a judgement on what we believe is not on.
    Honestly I couldn't give a toss about the opinions of some narrow minded idiot who is going to judge me based up my place of birth. People judge other people. It is just the way of the world. Be proud of your cultural background, don't just go round playing the racist card at every opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    Why is a racist murder worse than a random murder

(Original post by hitmanuk2k)
    Honestly I couldn't give a toss about the opinions of some narrow minded idiot who is going to judge me based up my place of birth. People judge other people. It is just the way of the world. Be proud of your cultural background, don't just go round playing the racist card at every opportunity.
    Fair enough Actually that was one of the bests posts so far, I admire your wise words.

I wish I was as brave as you, we need people like you in this world.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not coloured, rather I have a lack of colour cos I don't tan, but I am of various decents.

I was bullied at school for a) being from Somerset, then b) being from Ireland, which I'm not, I just have an Irish surname, then c) being Canadian, mainly due to the South Park movie, and they all bugged the hell outta me!

I think that people really need to learn to accept all people as people, but that's never gonna happen *sighs*

ReputationRep:
    What the heck is up with people always talking about race? NOBODY CARES so get over it.

ReputationRep:
    so if i asked you about your heritage, you'd think i was asking to be racist, not because i'm genuinely interested?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    I think it does make you feel a little more like an outsider when you're in a group, and you hear someone say to one individual 'where are you from?'
    and then 10 minutes later they ask you 'what country are you from?'
    Now I would find that offensive, because I’d be singled out.

(Original post by Inclination)
    What the heck is up with people always talking about race? NOBODY CARES so get over it.
    Well that's the thing, I DON'T CARE! But other people do :rolleyes:

So tell them (including that nosy man who bugged me at work, saying 'oh but what COUNTRY are you from?' lol get a life) to get over it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm black and I've never been asked where I'm from but what I found annoying was when at school, some people would talk to me in English really slowly like I do not know the language properly.

ReputationRep:
    I've had people asking me where i'm born rather than where i'm from which was annoying as i'd already explained to them that i was born and bred here! A few people at uni have assumed i'm an international student, but thats not racism its just ignorance and lack of insight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is anyone else on here, of colour, sick to death of people asking them where they were from, when they were born here?

I am.
    yes, it's very annoying. It's not racism, but it still makes you feel discriminated in a way. It is as if the only thing they see when they look at you is your race and that really p*sses me off. They don't see you as an indivual, but as part of a distant culture (which in most cases, is not even true since you might have been born here etc.) Basically, it's about people changing their perspective when viewing you because of your race, making you 'different' in a way. I hate it when they keep on asking about your culture, they might think it's nice and shows that they are interested, but it just goes to show you are not treated the same as a caucasian person, just because of your race, and also because of that, you are obliged to talk about it as if you and your race is one entity. So it's all about individuality and being able to be who you are without going everywhere always carrying the weight of your culture, and feeling guilty when people disaprove of you, because you have given others your race a bad reputation. It's also awkward when you try not to talk about your backgrounds, as it gives the impression that you're ashamed of it, also when you talk negatively about aspects of your culture, and personally, i'm not ashamed of looking chinese, but i do not like talking about the chinese culture to people all day and acting like i represent it, especially when i don't even know that much about it, and i don't feel like i'm part of it.

Rant over

ReputationRep:
    i'm not really understanding why people find questions about origin are annoying. i consider myself as wholly british, but ultimately my roots are indian and i'm comfortable with that. if people want to ask me questions about where i'm from in origin then they're more than welcome. it's natural for people to be curious and i'm glad i'm approachable enough to be asked.

ReputationRep:
    i absolutely HATE it.
    its one of the first things people ask you. they are like 'hello, where are you from?' even if they dont know you, like they have some right. im british, and if i say so, they ask 'no but ORIGINALLY where are you from' and 'where are your ancestors from'

all of my teachers at school did it. and random people do it anywhere all the time. or 'its chilly, i bet its nice and warm where you come from'

and dont say its not racist, as i bet not one of those caucasians would go up to a white persona and ask the same series of questions.

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly it.

ReputationRep:
    and the example someone gave about people asking a caucasian in Nigeria where they were from, Nigeria is not a multi-ethnic society in the way Tony Blair seems to think we are.

in fact by 2010 (i think i read this) caucasians will be a minority. so why are WE singled out?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem with someone asking you these sorts of questions. They're simply interested in getting to know you better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    and the example someone gave about people asking a caucasian in Nigeria where they were from, Nigeria is not a multi-ethnic society in the way Tony Blair seems to think we are.

in fact by 2010 (i think i read this) caucasians will be a minority. so why are WE singled out?
    it's pretty difficult to say whether britain is truly a multiethnic society though really.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 2, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.